Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-02-2019, 04:56 AM   #501
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I really, really liked the movie, but his treatment took it from an A+ to a B for me. I can't wrap my head around how they can nail Cap and Tony, and at the same time so completely blow it with Thor and Hulk.
This is an excellent point.

For Thor, I think the answer is that the classic comic version of Thor is not palatable enough for general audiences. So they have to change to to be more likable. They tap into Hemsworth's charisma and make him either quippy or dumb. I like Hemsworth, but that's no way to play Thor.

I'm probably the only one, but I enjoyed Thor 1 far more than Ragnarok for this exact reason. The Hemsworth of that movie was far closer to Thor. Blonde hair, blue eyes, someone who exudes power and arrogance. Loki, Odin, Sif, Warriors Three, Destroyer... they really nailed the Asgardian worldbuilding; and then dismantled it too soon.

Hulk is what baffles me. A completely pointless romance in Age of Ultron. Followed by PTSD Hulk in Infinity War and God knows what that thing was in Endgame. I still don't understand what was the point of that arc. The only time I cringed in this movie was the desperate attempt to contrast this Hulk favorably with the 2012 Hulk -- when the newer Hulk pretends to be angry and throws a few vehicles around. It was as if they're laughing at the expense of 2012 Hulk, when actually he's the best Hulk put on screen yet.

I was also disappointed that Hulk didn't get his moment in the final battle. I know he was injured, but when Giant Man puts him down, I thought some smashing was in order.

On a side note, I don't see the point of tying Hulk's visual appearance so closely with Ruffalo. Would make it hard to recast.

However, I'm glad they did total justice to Tony and Cap. It wasn't easy. The way their stories ended was extremely satisfactory. Could've been far worse. Therefore, overall I think this movie was great.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:07 AM   #502
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
"Is this everyone?" Dr. Strange
"You wanted more!" - Wong

Strangely, this question mirrors my reaction when watching the film for a second time. On the first viewing I was simply freaking out too much for much thinking. I suppose the lines grew out of the writing discussions as to who to include in the final battle.

While I understand why we didn't need any more, these are the characters I would have loved to have seen:

1. Lady Sif (Jamie Alexander) She simply disappeared after her appearance in Thor 2 and is never even referenced again in the films, though she does appear in two episodes of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD.

2. Quake (Daisy Johnson...I mean Skye.. Chloe Bennet aka Chloe Wang)

3. Deathlok (Michael Peterson / J. August Richards) F

4. Rhomann Dey (John C. Reilly)

5. Golaith (Bill Foster /Laurence Fishburne) .
These are good choices, but I would have forgiven excluding them all had they given us Michael Pena.

Imagine him explaining the events of Infinity War to a bewildered Ant-Man after he emerges in 2023. I mean it wouldn't have fit tonally, but who would have cared?
Old 05-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #503
Y3E
Gen 13

Yep, I am in agreement with you guys. As I said before, whimpy, crybaby, drunken Thor was irritating. I didn't like how Thor was is in Ragnarok either. Now that he is in GotG I am sure they will continue the comedian Thor.

I don't mind there being a smart Hulk, but I don't think they captured him in the movie correctly, not like the Peter David smart Banner. Maybe it is the Ruffalo face that bother me the most. They should have used the Ragnarok version.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #504
gearhead
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by junta View Post
I'm with you on Thor. Didn't enjoy Ragnarok because of the sudden change in character.
Same. When I tell my friends who enjoy the Marvel movies but aren't really comic fans that I disliked Ragnarok they just look at me with their mouths hanging open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
For Thor, I think the answer is that the classic comic version of Thor is not palatable enough for general audiences. So they have to change to to be more likable. They tap into Hemsworth's charisma and make him either quippy or dumb. I like Hemsworth, but that's no way to play Thor.

I'm probably the only one, but I enjoyed Thor 1 far more than Ragnarok for this exact reason. The Hemsworth of that movie was far closer to Thor. Blonde hair, blue eyes, someone who exudes power and arrogance. Loki, Odin, Sif, Warriors Three, Destroyer... they really nailed the Asgardian worldbuilding; and then dismantled it too soon.
I think you're right about the general audience, as evidenced by my friends disbelief in my opinion of Ragnarok.

You're not the only one who liked Thor 1 & 2. And I really liked 2, one of my favorites despite many people apparently saying it's the worst Marvel movie. Thor is the medieval element in the Avengers. You'd think with everyone loving LOTR and GoT that he would have been better received without having to turn him in to a joke first.
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #505
gearhead
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Yep, I am in agreement with you guys. As I said before, whimpy, crybaby, drunken Thor was irritating. I didn't like how Thor was is in Ragnarok either. Now that he is in GotG I am sure they will continue the comedian Thor.

I don't mind there being a smart Hulk, but I don't think they captured him in the movie correctly, not like the Peter David smart Banner. Maybe it is the Ruffalo face that bother me the most. They should have used the Ragnarok version.
Agreed. He wasn't 50/50 Hulk/Banner, more like 90% Banner and 10% Hulk. Both in appearance and behavior.
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #506
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Same. When I tell my friends who enjoy the Marvel movies but aren't really comic fans that I disliked Ragnarok they just look at me with their mouths hanging open.

I think you're right about the general audience, as evidenced by my friends disbelief in my opinion of Ragnarok.

You're not the only one who liked Thor 1 & 2. And I really liked 2, one of my favorites despite many people apparently saying it's the worst Marvel movie. Thor is the medieval element in the Avengers. You'd think with everyone loving LOTR and GoT that he would have been better received without having to turn him in to a joke first.
Exact same boat.

Among my friends I'm the only one that really enjoyed Thor 1 and 2 and hated 3. Everyone else is the reverse.

For reference I own one MCU movie poster. It's from Thor one of Lady Sif.

Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #507
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Agreed, I am a huge Thor fan and Thor 1 and 2 are in my top 10 of the MCU movies. I did enjoy Ragnarok but I am not a fan of the dumbing of Thor at all.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #508
Tushar
Hellboy

It seems so long ago now, but do you guys remember the J. Michael Straczynski run on Thor that came around 2008? That Thor was badass. The way he sets up new Asgard, and the way he deals with Tony after he tries to get him to register (right after Civil War), it was pretty fascinating.

The MCU was new then, it probably wasn't even connected, but I remember thinking it'd be awesome to see this version of Thor on screen.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #509
Mister H
Gen 13

I would see that movie 20 times in the theater.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #510
SONICobra
Batman

that was an epic run, thats actually what made me a thor fan
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote