Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 02-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #121
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestNight View Post
Thank god for so many who blindly purchase these as it keeps this hobby more than healthy, but I will never understand how you purchase a giant statue with no prior knowledge of the source material, never mind a "love"
Easy: people buy statues for the art appreciation of pop culture in this medium and the characters. They are all static toys for grown ups anyways.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #122
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

King’s Batman is the worst I’ve ever read.

There is a Court absolute edition. It’s great. A Graffiti artists edition is also in the works. That’s 11x17” scans of the original artwork. Though I wonder if that’s readable given lettering is digital :/
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #123
Armored_Berserk
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Same here, I’ve read «-I am...-» until «-I am Bane-» and I’ve stopped wasting time right here. Can’t wait to see him leaving Batman...
I hope Prime1 will make some Court of The Owls based statue.
Armored_Berserk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #124
Armored_Berserk
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Is that fair to say that Capullo's art wouldn't translate well?

He Designed the Suit Batman is wearing, the motorcycle, the backpack, even the terrain of gotham he is "in", the whole thing!!?!? How would it not translate well to something he designed in it's entirety? lol

It's all a money grab.

Kelvin said on Facebook that this was modified as most people do not read the comics. Even compared the redo to Sideshow's re-styling.

Thank god for so many who blindly purchase these as it keeps this hobby more than healthy, but I will never understand how you purchase a giant statue with no prior knowledge of the source material, never mind a "love"
He is right, Capullo’s Batman face does not translate well in 3D
Armored_Berserk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #125
SONICobra
Batman

im very familiar with the source material but im ok with the black gloves, to be honest i found the purple a little strange when i first read it. i would be ok either way but almost prefer the black

in regards to the capullo portrait, i see why people would think it would not translate well to 3d. i think with minor liberties it could look cool enough for a 1/4 statue and still represent the art well, youd just have to get the right sculptor / art director
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #126
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armored_Berserk View Post
He is right, Capullo’s Batman face does not translate well in 3D
That's insane, Capullo's styling is half way to Bruce Timm, DC has sold hundreds of thousands of statues based on his artwork.

This is just like Prime 1's Hush line, It "follows" the designs but in no way pays respect to the original artwork itself.

Completely a personal preference, but I think they should go all the way, the straight comic art in 3D looks killer. They do it for anime pieces as well as other DC pieces, but with these Batman pieces the appeasement of movie fans has tainted the waters.
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #127
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

To be fair, this is not called "Greg Capullo's" Batman by Prime 1 like Lee Bermejo's Joker or David Finch's or Jason Fabok's upcoming pieces.

This is just "Zero Year" Batman much like "Hush" Batman.

Sorry to be so critical previously.
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #128
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
This is just "Zero Year" Batman much like "Hush" Batman.
I think there's a very good chance this Zero Year Batman replaces Hush Batman in my purchasing plans.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #129
ENDO
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
For someone who stated quite fiercely that they hated any sort of visible seams for interchangeable headsculpts in the Ryu thread you’ve failed to notice the seams on two, straight off the bat.
I am not seeing them. Maybe I need to upgrade from my iPhone 1.
ENDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #130
Punisher_
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Is that fair to say that Capullo's art wouldn't translate well?

He Designed the Suit Batman is wearing, the motorcycle, the backpack, even the terrain of gotham he is "in", the whole thing!!?!? How would it not translate well to something he designed in it's entirety? lol

It's all a money grab.

Kelvin said on Facebook that this was modified as most people do not read the comics. Even compared the redo to Sideshow's re-styling.

Yeah he can detail everything but Batman's face lol.

People like Batman. To be a fan of Batman you don't have to read every single one of his comics in existence. You can always read the story later.

That would be cool if they offered the EX as a Capullo head just for the fans and then have this head as the realistic head.

In this piece I can still see some similarities to Capullo though, like the grin and that huge chin. The only thing that's missing is to make his head super narrow and long, which I don't think would look good at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8888888888999999.PNG
Views:	11
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	120966   Click image for larger version

Name:	77694.PNG
Views:	10
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	120968   Click image for larger version

Name:	464646464646.PNG
Views:	13