Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 07-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #11
kingdomhearts
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Take a look at my chrome darth vader bust. All of a sudden, the chrome finish cracks by itself
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	darth1.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	31458   Click image for larger version

Name:	darth2.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	31459   Click image for larger version

Name:	darth3.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	31460   Click image for larger version

Name:	darh4.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	31461  
kingdomhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #12
moon_knight1971
Rescue

This is one of the few non-superhero busts that I really wanted to buy. I haven't as yet and I'm glad I didn't. Maybe I'll pick up the regular edition. Any known problems with them?
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #13
P1X4R
Producer

yikes! that's really bad! i got an explanation from Tommy Allison. i'll paste it here because i think it's good info.

"thought I'd let you know why the paint process does that.

When they vac-metalize something, it's a skin of material that looks like metal. Over time, the bust no matter what it's made of will expand and contract as it is heated, or cooled. This happens whether you live in Alaska, or Arizona. What happens is of course the paint doesn't stretch, so it cracks. Even though it's made a covalent bond to the surface of the material, it's just not flexible enough to withstand the expansion and contraction of the material. That's not including inert gases escaping which also cause the paint to erupt.

You generally don't see it on conventional paint due to the fact of the way it's applied. When you spray something, there's a lot of little dots of paint that make a uniform surface that have gaps between them big enough to allow gas to escape. Even though you can't see it, it's there.

Anyway, that's how and why you should avoid anything vac-metalized, unless it's definitely in a climate controlled environment."
P1X4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #14
P1X4R
Producer

kingdomhearts, just out of curiosity.. how's the climate where you live? extreme hot or cold?
P1X4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #15
kingdomhearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1X4R View Post
kingdomhearts, just out of curiosity.. how's the climate where you live? extreme hot or cold?
I live in NY. It gets real hot and real cold in the city.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #16
kingdomhearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1X4R View Post
yikes! that's really bad! i got an explanation from Tommy Allison. i'll paste it here because i think it's good info.

"thought I'd let you know why the paint process does that.

When they vac-metalize something, it's a skin of material that looks like metal. Over time, the bust no matter what it's made of will expand and contract as it is heated, or cooled. This happens whether you live in Alaska, or Arizona. What happens is of course the paint doesn't stretch, so it cracks. Even though it's made a covalent bond to the surface of the material, it's just not flexible enough to withstand the expansion and contraction of the material. That's not including inert gases escaping which also cause the paint to erupt.

You generally don't see it on conventional paint due to the fact of the way it's applied. When you spray something, there's a lot of little dots of paint that make a uniform surface that have gaps between them big enough to allow gas to escape. Even though you can't see it, it's there.

Anyway, that's how and why you should avoid anything vac-metalized, unless it's definitely in a climate controlled environment."
That explains it, I think I will try not to buy chrome statue nor bust. Is wierd that my jango fett bust and chrome ultron bust are still in perfect shape. I think it only happens to dark chrome? I know some of the members here have the same problem with the chrome darth vader statue.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #17
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

glad I sold my off!
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:14 PM   #18
patrickwm68
The Flash

I sold mine for $400.00 when it first came out. Glad I did.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:06 AM   #19
Darth Mystery
Loki

Woow, that hurts!

Does remind me a bit of Alien III when it's hits the melted lead. So kinda cool too.
Darth Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:53 AM   #20
toyzplz
Death is hereditary.

My Vader Chrome doesn't have those, but my Bowen Chrome Silver Surver FS has them on his stomach area.

I think it might be where the piece was held, and maybe there was too much pressure? I have 7 different Chrome pieces and only my Surfer has marks like that.
toyzplz is offline   Reply With Quote