Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #41
Kirk Durfey
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Small world, Curt! That is the exact reason I stopped watching award shows, and I still won't watch them to this day

I sold all my Starlogs, but still have my Cinemagics and Cinefex... I eventually sold all my paperbacks with Frazetta covers, and my Bama Doc Savages. Just not enough room to store all of them
Kirk Durfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #42
Curt Chiarelli
Sculptor
Sculptor

Location: California, the world's largest outdoor free-range insane asylum.
Hi Will:

Private message zooming towards your in box!

Best Wishes,

Curt
Curt Chiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #43
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

wasnt there a movie about a giant RAT made in 81...?
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:38 PM   #44
Curt Chiarelli
Sculptor
Sculptor

Location: California, the world's largest outdoor free-range insane asylum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Durfey
Small world, Curt! That is the exact reason I stopped watching award shows, and I still won't watch them to this day

I sold all my Starlogs, but still have my Cinemagics and Cinefex... I eventually sold all my paperbacks with Frazetta covers, and my Bama Doc Savages. Just not enough room to store all of them

I must confess that I had one moment of weakness during the 1990 ceremonies and switched it on. So what was the first image to greet me as I broke a solemn vow that I'd held steadfastly to for 8 years? Richard Gere's equine mug imploring the audience to close their eyes and send a psychic "love bomb" to the Chinese Communist governement (if you recall, the horrors of the Tienanmen Square riots were still fresh in everyone's mind). I slammed the TV off in disgust, growling something about how the host should go back to celebrity championship gerbiling.

That'll learn me! Serves me right too! God knows what other debasements have been inflicted upon the eyes and ears of unsuspecting audience members or how many worthy artists have been humiliated or snubbed during the intervening years . . . .

I'm glad to hear that you kept your copies of Cinemagic and Cinefex. The world always seemed to stop on its axis the day the mailman arrived with the latest issue of Cinemagic! A fantastic magazine and a cherished part of my collection. I was deeply saddened when they stopped running it in 1989. The winds of change were in the air even then and within a few short years the baby would be tossed out with the bathwater when everyone rushed to go digital.
Curt Chiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #45
htwhlr
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I was 10. I still remember the joke....What kind of wood doesn't float? Natalie Wood!! Ha-Ha, I didn't get it back then.
htwhlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:30 AM   #46
james63
Doh!

I was finishing high school. hmmm.... don't feel that old yet!
james63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:56 AM   #47
Comicboy
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Chiarelli
I slammed the TV off in disgust, growling something about how the host should go back to celebrity championship gerbiling.
That's beautiful Curt! I dont know why I started this thread, I ran across a site that had all this info about 1981. I, like a few here, was 10 at the time. As I looked at it I was kinda stunned at how much of it I remembered and how important some of these events really turned out to be. I guess I got nostalgic too. Cinemagics and Cinefex I didn't read much. I got into Famous Monsters. I still have those copies. There's alot of cool movies for that year too, I had no idea. I never saw Chariots but I remember that damn song and will to my dying day!
Comicboy is offline   Reply With Quote