Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

NFL: Which team should this Canadian "cheer" for?

Well I've never been big into football but the past season (and the current one) I've been watching at least 1-2 game per week to not only try and learn the game beyond the basic downs/yards but also to try and enjoy it/have an appreciation for it.

I even just went out and picked up a copy of Madden 2011 for $10 to try and get even more into the proper mindset for the game.

But...here lies the problem. I'm from Toronto. We don't have an NFL team and I can't be bothered to watch the CFL games. Most Toronto folks tend to cheer for the Bills (from what I've noticed) seeing as they're the most "local" team but I really don't want to cheer for them.

How does one decide which team to cheer for when they have no local team? Logo? Players?

I'm also trying to decide which team to play as in Madden 2011's season/franchise mode.

With baseball, it was easy as I've always been a Jays fan from an early age. Likewise with the NHL as I cheered for the Quebec Nordiques who turned into the Colorado Avalanche. I've had interest in these teams/players since I was a kid so it was easy...

At 27 though, picking an NFL team to cheer for is proving to be difficult as I don't have anything invested in any of them really as of yet.

Decisions, decisions...any tips on how to do this?
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
moon_knight1971
Rescue

I'm thinking Seattle Seahawks since they are closest to you?
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
I'm thinking Seattle Seahawks since they are closest to you?
I was going to suggest this, myself.

Seahawks are a decent team this go-around, also...

Plus, the city itself is awesome.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Buffalo!!
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

For awhile there Buffalo were playing a few "HOME" games in Toronto which is why many cheer for them up there. They had even threatened to relocate at one time.
Picking a team is individual and unique. Some like to "hop on the bandwagon" and be a fan of whomever's hot.
For me I grew up in a household of Bears fans. (which is why I don't like them). Plus growing up in iowa we got regional coverage which meant Bears, Packers, Vikings and Chiefs every week. (I don't like any of them either). The 1st game that I can remember watching LIVE was Super Bowl 14. Ever since then I have been a devot and die-hard STEELERS fan. Through the bad years years, the OK years and the great years I watch every game and support my team. I watch other games and other teams but not with as much enthuisiasm and zest as Steelers games. When you know all the players even ones who don't play and travel to see games in person then you will know which team is right for you. Don't pick the hometown favorite unless you truly like the Bills and want to be a fanatic. Good Luck and enjoy , because the NFL is great.
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Underdog07
Hercules

Browns. You will be on ground floor if they ever make the play offs
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Frankierock
Omega Red

Maybe theres a player you really like watching. You could go that route and choose the team he players for.
But to be totally honest the NFL has alot of parity, so no matter what team you choose you will have ups and downs.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
iceman94
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Patriots. Nuff said.
iceman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Seattle Seahawks, because they know how to put pretty boy - loud mouth - show ponies like Tom Brady in their place.

Plus they're going to be a fun team to watch. Their rookie QB Russell Wilson, while not the most naturally gifted (those honors go to RGIII & Andrew Luck) is arguably the smartest and most mature QB from this year's draft class. The kid is the real deal. Their Defense is SICK and already in the League's top 5. They're young, talented and over the next 5 years will be a legitimate Super Bowl contender.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Wilson's good stock; agreed.

It's so easy to dislike Tom Brady... Peyton's ego has nothing on that blowhard's.

...for the record, though I'm lynched at my surf pub because of it, I like both Eli and the Giants.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote