Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #21
biglebowski9999
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I haven't lost any respect for the man, to be honest. He cheated at a sport where everyone cheats. He's easily the most successful cyclist of all-time, so either he cheated better than everyone else who was also cheating or he had more natural talent than any of his fellow competitors and once the playing field was "leveled" he excelled. Not sure what all the fuss is about.
biglebowski9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:04 AM   #22
ftrain1
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Lance Armstrong may be a dick, but he helped raise over 450 million for cancer research. I don't get why people are all up in arms about how he didn't come clean until he got caught? What steroid athlete revealed that he was using before being caught? Every athlete that confesses only does so when they're either outed or on their way to being outed. There's still lots of current athletes that have already been caught using steroids multiple times and still are playing their respective games today.

In the end, sports are just games that are used for entertainment. I love watching all the NY sports teams, but they don't help me in every day life. They usually just siphon money and time from me by my watching their games and buying their paraphernalia. Lance helped contribute to finding a cure that could be life changing for a lot of people. That's a lot more important than being caught for using steroids. Besides, if people can forgive the Patriots for cheating in all of their Superbowl years, Tiger for whoring around, Vick for slaughtering dogs, and Kobe and Ben Rothlisberger for being rapists, why is everyone crucifying Armstrong? A lot of the people you know are dicks and liars. They just haven't confessed to it.
ftrain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #23
sylvan
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I feel for the guy that came in the middle of the pack in the Tour de France and was clean. He is not a millionaire because he did not come 1st but to me he is the real champion.
As far as lance Armstrong and him coming clean, I understand that a drug cheat only owns up once he is caught out, lance however use to bully those who said he was doing drugs etc, his fellow team mates etc. They are the people he should say sorry too personally.
How many years has it taken for him to own up to his untruths.
I have lost all respect for the man, he is a cheat.
If you obtain money by false pretences and then start a charity to make your image look good, this does not make you a person of good character.
It may now help the sport come clean. Jmo
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #24
PureInvasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglebowski9999 View Post
I haven't lost any respect for the man, to be honest. He cheated at a sport where everyone cheats. He's easily the most successful cyclist of all-time, so either he cheated better than everyone else who was also cheating or he had more natural talent than any of his fellow competitors and once the playing field was "leveled" he excelled. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

whether he was on steroids or not doesn't take away from what he accomplished (even though they "stripped" him of his titles)

Just like the baseball Hall of Fame voting a few days back...I'm sorry but if Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens are not in the Baseball Hall of Fame then it isn't much of a HoF regardless if they did or didn't take performance enhancing drugs

sports are entertainment and the fans put unrealistic demands on their idols to perform and live up to their expectations
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #25
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Strange logic. So taking drugs has not diminished his achievements? They are no longer his achievements as he is no longer the winner of those 7 titles.

What about how he tried to destroy the lives of others who informed the authorities about his cheating?

With regards taking drugs and sports people being idols society as a whole has to make a decision on whether sports should be clean or not.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #26
PureInvasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Strange logic. So taking drugs has not diminished his achievements? They are no longer his achievements as he is no longer the winner of those 7 titles.

What about how he tried to destroy the lives of others who informed the authorities about his cheating?

With regards taking drugs and sports people being idols society as a whole has to make a decision on whether sports should be clean or not.
but they are still his achievements even though they took them away. The 7 titles he won were incredibly memorable and when you still bring up who won the Tour in _______ year, you won't say "no one"...it was still Lance regardless if he has the medal or not or whether he is still recognized

I don't really take much interest in his personal life (or the personal life of any celebrity). What he did to people outside of the spotlight is no interest to me. Maybe I'm just different...when the cameras stop rolling during the big game, I turn the TV off and stop caring about what they do on the side

heck a guy who was acquitted for murder (based on his testimony against 2 others) is in his glory lap in the NFL right now and may make it to the Super Bowl. Still he's a great athlete and I love watching the guy do his thing...but doesn't take away what happened that night in 2000 in many people's minds
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #27
sylvan
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:

Agree
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #28
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:

Exactly! It wasn't just the drugs but how he treated everyone during his run. And, I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks he simply leveled the playing field by taking drugs is ignorant at best.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #29
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Exactly; he "achieved" nothing except fraudulent wins.

Though I'm sure others in his sport used similar substances, there no doubt were competitors who raced "clean", as are the rules. They were not on a level playing field with the cheaters.

There's ten swimmers, but nine of them have 10 pound weights tied to each ankle while they compete; Armstrong made himself the guy without any weights. Blatant cheating.

Quote:
They are no longer his achievements as he is no longer the winner of those 7 titles.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #30
Underdog07
Hercules

And rumor is he doesn't believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman nor does he like Star Wars
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote