Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-02-2018, 08:59 AM   #611
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
It's because Sideshow holds all the popular 1:4 scale licenses... Trust me if Iron Studio, XM, Prime 1 could make all the popular characters in 1:4 scale nobody would be talking about Sideshow.
Sideshow is still quite a bit more reasonable in price though. Well, when compared to those brands. I have a hard time justifying anything over $500, so justifying $800+ is really, really a difficult stretch. The only time I have bought from those companies is for a favorite character. After my current XM pre-order, I am pretty sure I won't get another piece from them. And I have only one P1 piece I am interested in.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #612
prototypy
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
This is a hard pill to swallow for some of the haters. Sideshow has been on top of the game for years. Obviously everything they do isn't a home run, but they didn't get where they are by putting out crap.
Currently there are some stupid design in Sideshow product indeed and he lost some great sculptors or artists.But Sideshow still got the best team of doing and selling a statue.
I fond some hater too,I do not what is their purpose,but yes,some of Sideshow products are really shxt and disappointed in quality control,but what the most embarrassed thing is,they still can not beat him.
If any company wants to beat Sideshow,currently the most effected way is,got a epic design,abandon complicated texture and give up the stupid pose,use your heart to making a statue.
But do you dare,Can you do it?
prototypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:41 AM   #613
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
Sideshow has been on top of the game for years. Obviously everything they do isn't a home run, but they didn't get where they are by putting out crap.
Crap is a harsh word to use here. I would say the consensus is mixed at best.

We can agree to disagree as to whether they are currently on 'top of the game'. See FJC's retort below. When you have sole license to do 1/4 scale, it's pretty much yours for the taking for as long as you are willing to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
sideshow has the classic 1/4 DC and Marvel game in the North American Market on lockdown.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #614
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Sideshow still holds the title of best portraits in the game. And a lot of the best sculptors.

HOWEVER, they lack on original poses, weak sauce change-outs on at least 90% of their pieces, sketchy paint QC, even sketchier physical pieces QC, inconsistent customer assistance for broken/damaged statues, and subpar packaging. Look at all of those jacked up Thanos orders. It's insane that people have to deal with that with that ticket price.

So nobody is saying they "put out crap", we are just saying that SS is not the best option in the game anymore. I do still love the SS piece I have, but over the past few years i have returned several because the QC wasn't good.
Great points made here. I would say Hot Toys deserves some serious consideration when it comes to sculpting of actor or character likeness.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #615
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototypy View Post
Generally Sideshow is still better than those brand you have mentioned.
Better sculptors for sure.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #616
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
Somewhere in the middle for me. I do think the other companies have raised their game and it would be great if they had a license in US but I still think SS is stronger in certain areas from a pure artistic perspective. Lately it's the direction that is turning me off not the quality of the work.

The QC stuff is hard to say as the other companies don't release nearly as much product as SS and I've never had an issue getting a piece replaced. I do think SS should take some notes on packaging.
I was just about to say this same thing. It's because they're so huge and so many people follow them, you see the negative stuff more so than the other companies. I'm not saying they're perfect. I've had my fair share of issues, but there's no denying they are ahead of the pack. I would say well ahead overall.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #617
Demona
Martian Manhunter

But are they ahead because they make the best options, or because they strangle hold the market through licenses?

I was attacked by TBolt when I called SS cry babies who lock down 1:4 scale licences out of fear of the competition, but I stick to my guns with my statement. I am well aware that SS pays for their license, I also bet that SS pays a LOT of money to keep other companies at bay because they know they would be crushed if collectors had options.

So SS' methods have to be profitable for them to keep doing it, but I don't think that gives them an excuse to be weak on QC or character selections. I'm sure that the XM competition is why we are now seeing X-Men after all these years
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #618
prototypy
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I thought collectors have too many options to make a choice in nowadays,I don't consider it a good situation.Statue becomes fast like fast food and I won't pay so much money for fast food.
prototypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #619
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I'm lucky that I am selective in purchases and I'm don't need to move pieces to make spaces for new items. I feel for those who do though.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #620
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
But are they ahead beacuse they make the best options, or because they strangle hold the market through licenses?

I was attacked by TBolt when I called SS cry babies who lock down 1:4 scale licences out of fear of the competition, but I stick to my guns with my statement. I am well aware that SS pays for their license, I also bet that SS pays a LOT of money to keep other companies at bay because they know they would be crushed if collectors had options.

So SS' methods have to be profitable for them to keep doing it, but I don't think that gives them an excuse to be weak on QC or character selections. I'm sure that the XM competition is why we are now seeing X-Men after all these years
I think they're ahead because they have better sculptors(better sculpts).
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote