Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Frank Quietly: The Art of Comics Exhibition

On May 1st I went to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum in Glasgow to see the new exhibition focusing on Frank (Vin Deighan) Quitely's artwork. It had opened a month previously on April 1st & will remain there until October 1st
GerryT has already been
I took plenty of photos - over 62 (not including the descriptions of the items) but unfortunately I cannot upload any right now as my comper is broken
It is broken down in into segments, starting with early influences such as The Broons (who he would later parody as The Greens in Electric Soup, probably his first published pieces) , Oor Wullie & they also featured the first appearance of The Dandy's Desperate Dan - whose chin bears a striking resemblance to Vin's Superman._. All this will be pointless though if you live outside the Uk possibly even just Scotland!
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
joy_division

Next up was All Star Superman. I was too late in contacting Vin to see if the exhibition would want want my page & Midnighter sketch but there was a page that came before or after mine. Lots of sketches for the characters as well as some unused stuff. Each wall had a blown up piece of art pertaining to that segment
On the other side were some wome wonderful pieces of art kindly lent to the exhibition by Chip Kidd. These include:
A Bob Kane newspaper strip
Alex Ross' recreation of Batman #9
A Charles Burns Batman
A Neal Adams page from Batman #251
A DKR by Frank Miller to Chip as a thankyou
A David Mazuchelli Jim Gordon from the Y. 1 Who's Who
A rejected Bizarro cover by Daniel Clowes
Also lent, this time by Mar Millar, was the dark Superman cloak from the 3rd film BUT they made the classic error of putting "Christopher ReeveS" in the description
Old 05-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
joy_division

Batman & Robin was featured of course, they had a nice room with a lot of Flex Mentallo artwork as well as another wall featuring quite a bit of artwork from Batman The Scottish Connection where he really got his first big break thanks to Alan Grant
There was abeautiful section where you saw his Destiny Endless Nights painted work & the intricate detail is just breathtaking!
Some more early work in another room including 2000AD as well as his Paradox press Big book of._. Stuff
Old 05-04-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
joy_division

There was another room with a video talking about him for 15 mins. This is the only chance you will get to see mark millar & Grant Morrison in the same place!
Throughout the exhibition there are montors where you can see extra content as well as videos
There was a small case featuring his two own B&W statues as well as the Superman one. Also there was the Eaglemoss batmobile from Batman & Robin #1 that I gave to him as a gift Over in the superman section, they had the All star Superman/Bizarro AF gift as well as what looked liked from the rating, a german blu-ray of the animated All-star film
Old 05-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
joy_division

Nice sections for JLA: Earth 2, The Authority, WE3 & variant covers then a section marked danger as the art might be a bit too much for younger kids. Also a video about his upcoming animated film, a large section for Jupiter's Legacy, a colouring section then gift shop. Souvenir book available now, sketch book soon & LE prints if you have deep pockets!
Old 05-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
GerryT
Statue Forum MacDaddy

the exhibition is breathtaking, I was lucky enough to bump into Vin on the day we went. It's been getting rave reviews in the mainstream media , the BBC radio 4 arts review for example were practically blown away by it, not what I was expecting from them. If you can get to Glasgow before it ends I'd highly recommend going
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
joy_division

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryT View Post
If you can get to Glasgow before it ends I'd highly recommend going
You could probably hitchhike from where ever you currently are to Glasgae before it closes!