Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-10-2023, 10:20 AM   #81
darthwhitey
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
Production pics are up.

Do we know if these are actual production pics? To me they just seem to be additional prototype pics?
darthwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:02 PM   #82
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthwhitey View Post
Do we know if these are actual production pics? To me they just seem to be additional prototype pics?
SS replaces prototype photos with production pics when it's getting closer to shipping.

If you look at retailers like BBTS, you can see the original solicitation photos.
FastballSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:19 PM   #83
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Part of me has always thought Sideshow only does this, so that amateur collectors and others wouldn't realise that the production piece that they received is any different from the prototype that they ordered, when they go to the website to double check.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:55 PM   #84
SONICobra
Batman

i dont think theyre trying to trick anyone just advertising what people are actually getting as soon as they have the chance to
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 07:58 PM   #85
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
i dont think theyre trying to trick anyone just advertising what people are actually getting as soon as they have the chance to
This part isn't the trick, it's the butt cover.
If they were so interested in being genuine in their advertisement the actual production would either be what is advertised from the start or the production pieces would match what was first advertised.

Sure sometimes protos are nigh impossible to duplicate identically but I mean c'mon not like a design as basic and monotone as this could not be produced exactly enough where it was indistinguishable from the proto.

The gleam was a major appeal for me.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:01 PM   #86
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
This part isn't the trick, it's the butt cover.
If they were so interested in being genuine in their advertisement the actual production would either be what is advertised from the start or the production pieces would match what was first advertised.
Well you?re not wrong but I think most of us know better, many don?t even preorder until in hand pics start showing up. My only point is I don?t think there is any ulterior motive for swapping proto pics for production pics. At least they eventually update the gallery and leave it up to the buyer which photos they need to see before hitting that purchase button
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:07 PM   #87
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Well you?re not wrong but I think most of us know better, many don?t even preorder until in hand pics start showing up. My only point is I don?t think there is any ulterior motive for swapping proto pics for production pics. At least they eventually update the gallery and leave it up to the buyer which photos they need to see before hitting that purchase button
For some long time collectors that may well be true. But given Sideshows large edition sizes, I'm sure that a significant portion are still probably covered by preorders.

And I remember Sideshow once saying that many of their buyers aren't repeat customers. You see on the forums and Facebook pages from time to time newbies complaining about the bait and switch. And note not all businesses in all countries have such loose return policies.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:34 PM   #88
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Of course which is why I'm still in this thread and no PO!

This and an on sale today Lifesize Grogu sounded like a fine set up but...
Old 01-10-2023, 11:47 PM   #89
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Of course which is why I'm still in this thread and no PO!

This and an on sale today Lifesize Grogu sounded like a fine set up but...

I wish I could benefit from Sideshow's sales on their own pieces, but importing is just too expensive relative to current Popcultcha pricing.

And even when Popcultcha has their recurring 20% off sale, that's on the original retail price; whereas when I preorder from Popcultcha I already get 18% off. So waiting for an additional 2% isn't worth the time.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:55 PM   #90
qz33
Doctor Doom

18% off Popcultcha is good! I've imported a couple things into the States from them!