Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-02-2019, 08:09 PM   #41
XMRogue
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I think like others have stated, in some ways it's an excellent time to be a collector. There are so many companies selling statues of increasing quality.

The downside is expecting to make a profit on the hobby. It's kind of like the millions who bought X-Men Vol. 2 Issue 1 hoping it would sell for thousands of dollars someday. The statues are becoming too mass-produced with too much competition for similar characters.

I personally enjoy displaying my statues and have never once made a profit reselling. I've resold about 10 statues and all at a loss after eBay fees and shipping. That said, all of my statues were sold "used" since I displayed them. Even if sold out from the creator, it seems hard to actually profit these days when some of the statues are having 4000 of them made.

For me, cost is a huge problem. I am trying to limit funds I have spent on my collection to about $5000 max. That only gets you a few XM statues, for example.
XMRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:15 PM   #42
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

It’s not at a low for us. Just the companies thinking they were going to keep selling out high ES pieces at rising prices, with either poor/cheap to QC/production quality and standards. Pieces used to sell out quickly, now they sit.
For new collectors it’s probably not as frustrating.
But for some, we just want completed lines of quality statues.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #43
rjszar
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

I definitely don't see the hobby at a low. Just the opposite. There is so much out there, it is overwhelming. That may be the one downside I see. I don't collect to make a profit. I collect because I love the stuff. Having so much out there to choose from can get you really depressed. Most people obviously can't afford to get everything they want. Even if you can get a significant amount of what you do want, you can't display it all. That can lead you to want to just walk away from it all. Everybody needs to find their own individual balance.
rjszar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #44
XMRogue
A day without sunshine is like... night.

As someone who collects for personal enjoyment, and not as an investment, I'm very happy to see how many companies are making statues.

I feel I oftentimes have options for my favorite characters. Also things like "Injustice 2 Aquaman" that might not exist at all without the increase of entrants into the market is now a reality.

I collect for the love of the characters, knowing full well that I'll likely take a loss if I decide to sell. I'm okay with that.
XMRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #45
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
For me it has nothing to do with resell. They have just out priced me.Therefore I barely come on the forums or participate in the hobby. I'd like to pick up probably a dozen or more things that are currently up, but I am not comfortable spending that much. And I'm someone that earns a decent living and can splurge here and there. But at 6-700 a pop...I can do other things with that kind of cash. I sort of regret ever starting up this hobby.

I've been impacted by the cost/enjoyment ratio as well. However, it was typically offset by the ability to resell down the line to other collectors joining the hobby. The rising shipping costs (both domestic and overseas) is playing a larger role too. Given the current climate of the industry, the cost-enjoyment ratio is more on the forefront (for me, anyway) than it was before. I'm compelled to be very selective. Thing is though, I do not regret ever starting this hobby. It's largely been amazing. I met lots of fabulous people over the years. All this to say, I can't help but wonder what this hobby will look like in a few years. While I have no doubt the art will be even more amazing than it already is now, the question then becomes how many people will be around to afford buying multiple statues? There was a time when people would present these huge pre-order lists. I do not really see that much anymore.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #46
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Hobby is not low just the price are getting out of hand.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:48 PM   #47
sith_apprentice
The Avengers

Space being at a premium in my man-cave is the only thing really holding me back. I've got room for 4 to 6 pieces, depending on the size. Last year I think the Bowen Dr Doom on the castle is the only statue I purchased, plus a few mini-busts.

I come here to check on what's new, but I think the SS Daredevil will be my final Sideshow piece, unless they start doing some newer characters, like Taskmaster, Talia al Ghul or Silver Samurai.
sith_apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:54 PM   #48
Augen
Metal Men

I understand the price concerns, but for me the hobby is at an amazing point and I'm really excited for the future. There are a ton of great companies and scales and styles. I may change my tune in five to ten years, bvt for now loving it.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #49
tonytiger
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
Hobby is not low just the price are getting out of hand.

Yea,down to one P.O now..prices are getting out of hand and you already see that with XM went to statutes on P.O only ES..Sideshow as seen their ES starting to drop too.Statues will still hold their value only if its a wanted piece.On side note>>
Almost bought that Sideshow ex Darkseid on e-bay for 400.00 shipped but thought it was still too much.Lol

Sky is not falling for buying but selling for newer pieces they are.
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:07 PM   #50
built2shred
Phoenix

I think companies have pretty much killed of the OG Collector, the guy who would buy new statues every year and just sell off the older stuff to make room for the new stuff... Back then you were pretty much guaranteed to break even on the older statues allowing you to use that money for new statues..

With the rising prices and the plummeting value of old statues, your better off just picking a few pieces you like and then quit the hobby.... The days of cycling through statues is over... unless your really wealthy and live in a museum to display them all
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote