Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 05-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #21
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC7 View Post
From the perspective of resale money, Hot Toys is hit or miss.

While the Predator line, certain Iron Man figures, and the Batman line have jumped up in price, other Hot Toys have remained stagnant.

If you are buying it just for the turn-around, you are gambling, as mentioned above, but you can make better than average choices. For example, I would bet that the Sideshow version of Supes will retain a better value than the secondary market "regular" version. The regular version will likely be produced at a huge volume.
It kinda goes without saying (should anyways) that not every figure HT releases is a huge aftermarket hit. Property plays a big part as always. Superman is a huge property. I'm sure HT will pump out a ton of these, but there will still be folks who miss out and the aftermarket will start screwing those folks asap. Just the way it always is.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #22
zimmermouse
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Well, I've never seen anyone lose money on a HT... yet.
You wanna buy my first edition TDK the Joker than for the price I paid? It was almost 185 dollars for this figure a while ago but now it has decreased in value for about 50% because of a better likeness in newer (DX!) Joker editions.
zimmermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #23
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmermouse View Post
You wanna buy my first edition TDK the Joker than for the price I paid? It was almost 185 dollars for this figure a while ago but now it has decreased in value for about 50% because of a better likeness in newer (DX!) Joker editions.
Really? It's gone down that much? Well, shows you what I know!
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #24
snappahead
Producer
Producer

That's a rare exception. The original Joker was lousy. HT didn't have proper reference material and made a somewhat generic Joker that was only loosely based on Ledger's appearance in the film. They never should've released that one.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #25
carrillj
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Although tempting, there is no way I can bring myself to jump in on this without a set edition price and the numerous recasted Ebay auctions out there from China. To sell a figure at such a high retail price, it would have to be strictly limited. Many years from now, when Hot Toys no longer has the license, you can expect these to be easily available with many fakes out there that can't be distinguished from the original. For now, they are cashing in on the hype and selling these for rediculous prices. I know the economy is bad and all, with higher production costs, but there is no way that these should be costing $200 retail.
carrillj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #26
Krypton Knight
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I just wonder if the release of the Reeve Superman will have an effect on the value of the Superman Returns Marlon Brando Jor-El released a few years back.
Krypton Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #27
demonhunter
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Well, I've never seen anyone lose money on a HT... yet.
If you buy the women figures like Silken Floss, Silk Spectre, etc.....you might lose money. The girls don't appreciate in prices somehow. Not many people want them on 2ndary markets.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #28
demonhunter
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
It kinda goes without saying (should anyways) that not every figure HT releases is a huge aftermarket hit. Property plays a big part as always. Superman is a huge property. I'm sure HT will pump out a ton of these, but there will still be folks who miss out and the aftermarket will start screwing those folks asap. Just the way it always is.
Unless Hot Toys in 2 years time decides to DX this C.Reeve Superman, the aftermarket gets screwed back harder and hooray for collectors who missed out and waited.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #29
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonhunter View Post
Unless Hot Toys in 2 years time decides to DX this C.Reeve Superman, the aftermarket gets screwed back harder and hooray for collectors who missed out and waited.
It depends. The Bank Robber Joker still has some value even though a DX version exists. Some would rather get a Bank Robber version for $250 than pay $500 for a DX. The DX version of Supes may or may not come out, but if it does, it doesn't screw anyone IMO. You're either a collector and know what you're getting into or you're a new guy who might pay a little more for things on the secondary. No biggie. I know how HT usually does things and I'm cool with it.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #30
Mannequin
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonhunter View Post
If HT comes out with a Superman DX. Which they will eventually , The big question would be which version will it be?

If the DX Superman with the same younger Reeves then this will affect the current release, but no way it will be below the retail. it will forever maintain its value

But if the DX Superman will be the older Reeves then im sure both version will be skyrocketing eventually. maybe after the 50th anniversary of Superman the movie. hahha..lol..
Mannequin is offline   Reply With Quote