Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-11-2019, 11:34 PM   #301
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
You must not have seen American History X

Is this just a comment about comic accuracy or are you saying you prefer they cast a bodybuilder over someone who can act? And has no previous Batman casting been to your standards?
I'd like something far more comic accurate than we have ever seen and I think body builders are just like any other human, some of them could certainly act and do a great job. It's how I would approach it, nobody has filled those shoes yet.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:43 PM   #302
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Annnnd it gets worse... co producer suggesting Alfred be cast as a woman.
CMON MAN ENOUGH IS ENOUGH WITH THIS BS!
It was Gerry Conway that suggested a woman. He’s not connected to the film in any way.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:51 PM   #303
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
But isn't that true of almost every major superhero? And yet we have folks who are fit but not overtly muscular; who fans love for their portrayal. Ryan Reynolds, Charlie Cox, Jon Bernthal... Mark Ruffalo is a counterexample -- he's not skinny enough to look like Bruce Banner. Still, there are many who like these versions.

The bulking and suiting up is just a gimmick, IMO. I hold that the key to a good Batman is a good Bruce Wayne. Compare two of my favorite scenes from recent movies:

1. TDK: Bruce joins Rachel and Harvey Dent for dinner and realizes Dent is a sincere guy. Everything great about this scene came from Bale's performance.

2. BvS: Warehouse fight scene. I'm sure it would've been equally awesome even if it wasn't Affleck under the cowl, which it probably wasn't anyway.

Also, I think Martial Arts is more Batman's thing than bodybuilding. Look at Keanu Reeves... he's not terribly muscular and yet consistently gives some of the best action scenes in the decade. That's where the goalposts should be, if they aim for authenticity in physical terms.

Finally, I hear they're going for a Detective Batman angle. Bulking up shouldn't be that important to the story if that's the case. As opposed to, say, taking on Bane.

I think the body builder Batman stresses, yes this guy is obsessed, a lifetime obsession, to get to that level and be brilliant at everything else is what the comics present. Batman is considered a super hero. Despite lack of powers. His "super" power is his obsession and relentless drive. It's not like he has to be in the gym for 6 hours a day, he's on the streets, most action scenes in comics are quite the workout.

We haven't seen a comic accurate live action Batman. Obviously it would be highly stylized like comics, not the Nolan real world take. Though I appreciate Nolan Bats greatly, it still wasn't exactly what I want someday. Surely with all these flavors of Batman there is room for more comic accurate take at some point.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #304
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
It was Gerry Conway that suggested a woman. He’s not connected to the film in any way.

Just virtue signaling like Neal Adams and all the rest of the old guard who aren't valued by the new generation , who aren't utilized or relevant anymore among the NPC retards collapsing the comic industry.

All those cons where they sit all alone at their table eagerly awaiting anyone to recognize them. That sad look of desperation, the pathetic eyes turning toward passer bys who avert their gaze and wonder " Who's Gerry Conway"? The hope for someone to gravitate toward them, just to cross the sea of Funko Pops and imbeciles dressed like Naruto or She-Ra, and say "Hey you're X! I loved your work in the late 70's 80s can I get your auto?"

Turning the industry of comics into lining for bird cages is something the cat licking, single bedroom overpriced apartment dwellers have nearly perfected with their nonsense. Effectively driving off most readers and increasing sales of back issues from the old days 80%. DC can't afford to push narrative at this point since 90% of their movie and tv output is crap with a few winners here and there like Aquaman and Wonder Woman.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #305
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
Just virtue signaling like Neal Adams and all the rest of the old guard who aren't valued by the new generation ,
Might be true of Gerry Conway, but based on the size of Neal Adam's booth at multiple conventions, and the array of products he offers, I suspect he's doing just fine.

By the way, when a good friend approached him at WonderCon and humbly thanked him for all his great work and told him he was his favorite artist, Neal replied "yeah, I get that a lot."
Old 06-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #306
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Might be true of Gerry Conway, but based on the size of Neal Adam's booth at multiple conventions, and the array of products he offers, I suspect he's doing just fine.

By the way, when a good friend approached him at WonderCon and humbly thanked him for all his great work and told him he was his favorite artist, Neal replied "yeah, I get that a lot."
I'm sure Neal does, he still is working in the field. Obviously he figured out the game.
How much time do you think this bought him?
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...d-to-be-white/

As for the other sidelined artists or writers who's contributions were just as valuable or are now sitting with wasted potential, there's a reason and it has nothing to do with artists or writers working the industry currently who've got MORE merit.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:32 PM   #307
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Thank goodness. But still STFU Conway.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #308
nearmint
Phoenix

Zoe Kravitz cast as Catwoman.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #309
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Zoe Kravitz cast as Catwoman.
I like it.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #310
SONICobra
Batman

i dont mind it, havent really seen her stretch her acting chops in anything but she looks like she could be good in the role
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote