Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 06-13-2019, 04:23 AM   #191
kagero_no_mai
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
You may have to explain to me where the piece goes so far as to invalidate itself as a representation of the character.
Exactly. It will be a beautiful, sensual representation of the character, I don't understand what are people so fussed about.
I'm a huge Mai fan, nontheless I like this much more than the Kinetiquettes one.
kagero_no_mai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #192
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagero_no_mai View Post
I don't understand
Quote:
You may have to explain
Nothing to explain, nothing to understand. Some of us do see Mai, some of us don‘t.
Question: HMO shows us that portrait with no explanation, do you see Mai? Can you imagine - or guess- it could be Mai?
Another question: Do you see Mai through that portrait, or do you WANT to see her?
When I look at the Kinetiquettes portrait, I see Mai. And I don’t need to see the suit to be sure.
When I look at the HMO portrait, I see a lot of potential characters, but not Mai.
Again, nothing to explain, nothing to understand
French Cancan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:50 AM   #193
ukshaun
Hercules

I see a good portrait. I don't see Mai
I'm holding out for Felicia anyhow
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #194
No1
The Avengers

Quote:
You may have to explain to me where the piece goes so far as to invalidate itself as a representation of the character.

I own 20+ Wonder Woman pieces and they vary wildly in artistic style and understand may like or dislike some, but they are all her to me.

I´m not said that this invalidate her.... but let´s start from the beginning.... Wonder Woman is not a good character for comparation, because she is being around for some 80 years, appear in a lot of medias, have several generations of artists working on her, her story was adapted, she was published several times, DC made 2 reboots in their Universe, there´s a lot of parallel histories, movies, games, animations, live action series, animation series, etc... it´s an endless material to submerge...

Mai have nothing of this, she have the same face and general look since she first appears in some 30 years ago, and she is basically a girl in a fighting game, she does not have comics or movies and animations, ok there´s one or another here and there, but all minor things, compared to WW or any other Marvel/DC hero, so the general look of her is from Fatal Fury and KOF, and of course with the time and technology she was being drawn with more details, but always have the same way, face, dress, etc...

Now with WW you have dozens of alternative versions you could find inspiration, that´s why you have some 20 statues of her, but with Mai no, and HMO is not being inspired by none version of her here, they placed a doll face there, beautiful yes, but a face that could be anyone... and then is just put on her dress, a little of flowers here and there... boom! You have Mai, but wait, that face doesn´t even look japanese to me. I wanna see that girl I know from the games that I play, I´m not gonna want one diferent IF I can have the right look of her.

Now let´s gonna be honest, take a very good look in that face, now take look on the face of HMO Morrigan... is the same face, just with diferent hair and eyes collor, even the mouth is equal (a little open), both have that triangular doll face, is not Mai face, if there was only her on the market I would buy HMO´s version for sure, but I ´m happy to have options.

Well, just my two cents on this subject, it's all valid, both are gourgeous pieces of art, and if you like HMO version more, ok go on and be happy with it!

No1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #195
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1 View Post
I´m not said that this invalidate her.... but let´s start from the beginning.... Wonder Woman is not a good character for comparation, because she is being around for some 80 years, appear in a lot of medias, have several generations of artists working on her, her story was adapted, she was published several times, DC made 2 reboots in their Universe, there´s a lot of parallel histories, movies, games, animations, live action series, animation series, etc... it´s an endless material to submerge...

Mai have nothing of this, she have the same face and general look since she first appears in some 30 years ago, and she is basically a girl in a fighting game, she does not have comics or movies and animations, ok there´s one or another here and there, but all minor things, compared to WW or any other Marvel/DC hero, so the general look of her is from Fatal Fury and KOF, and of course with the time and technology she was being drawn with more details, but always have the same way, face, dress, etc...

Now with WW you have dozens of alternative versions you could find inspiration, that´s why you have some 20 statues of her, but with Mai no, and HMO is not being inspired by none version of her here, they placed a doll face there, beautiful yes, but a face that could be anyone... and then is just put on her dress, a little of flowers here and there... boom! You have Mai, but wait, that face doesn´t even look japanese to me. I wanna see that girl I know from the games that I play, I´m not gonna want one diferent IF I can have the right look of her.

Now let´s gonna be honest, take a very good look in that face, now take look on the face of HMO Morrigan... is the same face, just with diferent hair and eyes collor, even the mouth is equal (a little open), both have that triangular doll face, is not Mai face, if there was only her on the market I would buy HMO´s version for sure, but I ´m happy to have options.

Well, just my two cents on this subject, it's all valid, both are gourgeous pieces of art, and if you like HMO version more, ok go on and be happy with it!

Okay, it's not the core classic version of the character Mai. That's fair to say. I see it as the character adapted into HMO style, much like other statues I've seen of her. She is developing a nice assortment of interpretations which I think will grow in time. I like HMO and Kinequette versions myself.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:09 AM   #196
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

The argument could probably be used for almost every depiction of Mai ever to be honest. She has been depicted in a huge variety of art styles. This screams Mai to me WAY more than her depictions in KoFXIV or Dead or Alive 5 and 6
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #197
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

I love the portrait update and finally decided to PO.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #198
Augen
Metal Men

I'm not sure where to post it, but HMO on their Facebook posted a tease for the next piece in this line and looks to be Felicia
Old 07-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #199
ukshaun
Hercules

Latest image..
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #200
Augen
Metal Men

Thanks for the update, continues to impress.