Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #541
Incrysis
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
They don't all arrive perfect, but Sideshow has taken care of me. Since December, I've received Wonder Woman, Superman, Thor, Daredevil, and Elektra. Superman had a chip out of the base which required a full replacement. Wonder Woman had googly eyes, and they replaced the portrait after some gentle encouragement.

In the end, I'm very happy with all of them.
Maybe it's me. Perhaps I expect too much. Maybe I expect opening the box everytime without having as issue......like I have with my Prime 1 stuff. lol
Incrysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #542
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I don't have a crystal ball or anything but my guess is as us older collectors quit the hobby they're not going to have to many younger collectors to replace us, they just can't afford to get into the hobby.
Maybe they'll be entering in their 30s and 40s when they do have more disposable income? I've been buying comics since I was 5-years-old, but I didn't order my first statue statue until I was pushing 50.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #543
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Maybe they'll be entering in their 30s and 40s when they do have more disposable income? I've been buying comics since I was 5-years-old, but I didn't order my first statue statue until I was pushing 50.

I was able to leave home at 19 and got my own apartment, I had my first home at 25... Kids can't even afford apartments now a days because rent is insane.

I'm just glad I own my house now and don't have to worry about rent or mortgages anymore..

Times are a lot different then when we were young.. Kids can't afford to leave their parents house unless their parents or grandparents help them financially. I don't see it much better for them in their 30's or 40's either... The way things are going your only going to have the super rich and the super poor... Middle class is getting wiped out...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #544
MPCanes
The X-Men

The hobby has never been better from a producer/quality standpoint.

As an investment, it's never been worse. Look at other investments if you are looking to make $. I've seen better returns, for example, on MTG cards and Mondo posters (not that I'm looking to sell - but their value store is much better so far).
MPCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:20 PM   #545
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPCanes View Post
The hobby has never been better from a producer/quality standpoint.

As an investment, it's never been worse. Look at other investments if you are looking to make $. I've seen better returns, for example, on MTG cards and Mondo posters (not that I'm looking to sell - but their value store is much better so far).
I think a lot of collectors justified the expense of this hobby because most of the time you could break even if you ever decided to sell the statue, but that's not the case anymore... sure on some very popular statues you might make a small profit but with most statues by the time your done with Paypal, Ebay & shipping fees not to mention a flooded market your usually losing money on them..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:27 PM   #546
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Times are a lot different then when we were young.. Kids can't afford to leave their parents house unless their parents or grandparents help them financially. I don't see it much better for them in their 30's or 40's either... The way things are going your only going to have the super rich and the super poor... Middle class is getting wiped out...
Not all young adults are graduating college and moving back in with their parents. Two of my nieces graduated a few years ago and went straight into good jobs. Of my ten nieces and nephews, only one is still living with his parents.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:46 PM   #547
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Just don't let your kids take something like Gender studies or something similar or you'll be taking care of them forever lol.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #548
myskye23
Hellboy

I believe the Hardcore Collectors, the ones who continue to rotate their collections by buying and reselling has kept this hobby going for as long as it has. I understand that it may be a small percentage but it's still a high enough number that generates revenue for these companies.

Also, there may be collectors like myself who got introduced to a great statue, and then decided to start up their own collection but will only get what they deemed a nice enough collection and then decide to stop. It started off as 1 statue, and then it became 30 and for the three year duration, the statue market may have boomed due to the new collector(s). When I first bought my first statue from SSC 3 years ago (Superman) I felt that the price was reasonable and I accepted that.

As the years went on, the prices kept rising and it became too much as of late so I decided that I wouldn't buy these new statues at this price point anymore. My point is, for every 1 Collector that exits the game, there will be another or 3 more that replaces him/her that will accept this NEW price point as the beginning of their start up price and their collection will grow exponentially in 3 years time, but they may exit the hobby as well after their collection is done. It seems like this may be the cycle that keeps this hobby going so I don't think it's at an all time low .... yet.
myskye23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:30 PM   #549
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
I think a lot of collectors justified the expense of this hobby because most of the time you could break even if you ever decided to sell the statue, but that's not the case anymore... sure on some very popular statues you might make a small profit but with most statues by the time your done with Paypal, Ebay & shipping fees not to mention a flooded market your usually losing money on them..
This new sales tax as well.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #550
Comicbookguy
Hercules

If ss was still making the same margins they wouldn’t change the store into a toy, clothing, photo, art shop. Must be making less money on statues or less buyers. But they do make up the difference with the double pricing. Target the committed hardcore collectors and charge them more to make up the difference by selling less. Those collectors are in this to the end since they already have so much they won’t quit. Smart business
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote