Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 01-20-2021, 09:22 AM   #71
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Disco Dazzler is such a fun statue that nobody else would have ever made. Nope. Nadda. But I agree it did not need the giant black base under the ball.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #72
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraFan View Post
lol it's not really giving me crap cause I do agree with you on most things but he does have competition now. I'm just saying that old look/sculpt/paint is not up to the standards of today. That's why I said he would need to up his game. I know he can, there is no doubt. Which actually makes it more exciting.
Again, I have to disagree. As it stands right now, Kotobukiya would be the only real competition for Randy. The same Koto that releases about 4 to 5 statues a year (and that's being generous). Erick Sosa used to sculpt all of their 1/6 pieces. He's gone and they have other sculptors but their 1/6 releases are trickling out nowadays. They're also standard looking statues. Nothing special looking about them.

If Randy comes back he will dominate the market. In his heyday, Randy would release 2 full sized statues and one bust almost every month. No way Koto can keep up with him. Randy only has to offer exactly what he was releasing before he shut down...great looking comic accurate sculpts. If he does, collectors will buy from him.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #73
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Disco Dazzler is such a fun statue that nobody else would have ever made. Nope. Nadda. But I agree it did not need the giant black base under the ball.
I disagree. It was part of the era she was created in and I thought it looked cool as hell.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:14 AM   #74
FJC
Midnighter

Too many female statues listed. Here's a few of my favorite BD statues:

Museum Thor
Museum Cap
Abomination
Faux bronze smackdown HULK
Retro Cable
Chrome Colossus
Chrome Silver Surfer
Apocalypse
Odin
Modern Warlock
Red DD on gargoyle
Phasing Vision
Infinity Gauntlet Thanos
Grendel Prime

Those are just a few of the pieces I consider to be BD's best.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:03 AM   #75
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

well here is my list

Moon Knight
The Valkyrie
The Vision
The Thing (action pose)
The Beast (Avengers version)
Captain Marvel (70's version museum pose)
Goliath (both Red and Blue version and Clint Barton version)
Silver Surfer (action pose)
Ms Marvel (Dave Cockrum costume action pose)
Dazzler
Jean Grey Marvel Girl (I might be in the minority but I LOVE that outfit)
mmk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #76
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
I disagree. It was part of the era she was created in and I thought it looked cool as hell.
What did I say that was negative about the statue other than the black piece of the base under the disco ball? I cleary said it was a fun statue that nobody else would have ever made (because they had no faith). I'm confused
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #77
The_Scratch
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
If Randy comes back he will dominate the market. In his heyday, Randy would release 2 full sized statues and one bust almost every month. No way Koto can keep up with him. Randy only has to offer exactly what he was releasing before he shut down...great looking comic accurate sculpts. If he does, collectors will buy from him.
Exactly. Bowen WAS THE MARKET for 15 yrs... everyone else was jumping on the bandwagon and trying to cash in. That's not competition.... that's "also ran". They were playing catch-up.
Bowen can drive this market and elevate it once again. It's been stagnant and underwhelming... Bowen can invigorate this hobby and will boost competitors sales. His return is a benefit to them all as it will force them to raise their game and compete.
The 5 year hiatus was unwelcome to us, but in retrospect I think it was a good thing. 2012-2014 was verging on over saturation. Let's just say absence has made the heart grow fonder. The hunger and desire collectors have is ramping up.
I'm gonna be all over every new release like a monkey on a cupcake.
I sometimes wonder if the nay-sayers were just not fully immersed Bowen collectors and did not experience the "Bowen effect". Bowen fans are a different breed.... dedicated, passionate and a tad obsessive.
Once you go Bowen... you never go back.
The_Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:39 PM   #78
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Scratch View Post
Exactly. Bowen WAS THE MARKET for 15 yrs... everyone else was jumping on the bandwagon and trying to cash in. That's not competition.... that's "also ran". They were playing catch-up.
Bowen can drive this market and elevate it once again. It's been stagnant and underwhelming... Bowen can invigorate this hobby and will boost competitors sales. His return is a benefit to them all as it will force them to raise their game and compete.
The 5 year hiatus was unwelcome to us, but in retrospect I think it was a good thing. 2012-2014 was verging on over saturation. Let's just say absence has made the heart grow fonder. The hunger and desire collectors have is ramping up.
I'm gonna be all over every new release like a monkey on a cupcake.
I sometimes wonder if the nay-sayers were just not fully immersed Bowen collectors and did not experience the "Bowen effect". Bowen fans are a different breed.... dedicated, passionate and a tad obsessive.
Once you go Bowen... you never go back.
ding ding ding
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:52 PM   #79
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
What did I say that was negative about the statue other than the black piece of the base under the disco ball? I cleary said it was a fun statue that nobody else would have ever made (because they had no faith). I'm confused
You aren't confused. I misread your post. I thought you said the base wasn't good but you were referring to the black disc. I thought you were talking about the disco ball. My bad Demona.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:11 AM   #80
cf79
Frackin!

That’s the statue that got me into statue collecting altogether.
cf79 is offline   Reply With Quote