Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 08-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
nameivom
The Herculoids

Wizard World Chicago 2018

Just wanted to gather if anyone attended this past weekend? This was the second time I have been to this convention and I have to say.....I won't be going back. The disorganization and incompetence of the staff there is really bad. Surpassing any convention I have been to in the past by a wide margin. I have had issues both times I have attended and I just give up on this one.
nameivom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:48 AM   #2
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameivom View Post
Just wanted to gather if anyone attended this past weekend? This was the second time I have been to this convention and I have to say.....I won't be going back. The disorganization and incompetence of the staff there is really bad. Surpassing any convention I have been to in the past by a wide margin. I have had issues both times I have attended and I just give up on this one.
Yikes, I'm very sorry to hear this. The Wizard shows have become a mixed bag over the past decade, with most reactions being disappointment than positivity.

What were the issues you had with this year and last year?
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:22 AM   #3
nameivom
The Herculoids

It is so convoluted for this year's experience I wouldn't know where to begin. To sum up both experiences I would just say a clueless staff plus no organization in Celebrity/Photo areas plus horrendous customer service topped off by some of the most rude attendees I have ever witnessed (more so than other shows) does not equal a fun time. The vendor areas are not bad but the Autograph and Photo Op areas need a major overhaul in Chicago.

What is really sad is I saw some of the same volunteers that I remember from two years ago and the problems remain and are jaw dropping bad in my opinion. It is like some of them take advantages with their "volunteer" status at this show in particular. Anyway I won't be going back. Left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:51 AM   #4
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

I popped in Friday and sunday. Friday was pretty dead. Sunday was better. I agree that the show has gone downhill, but FWITW, I still think its good to have it as an option.

I didn't do an of the celebrity things - aside from the BmW panel, but as I walked around the area on Sunday morning, it seemed like everything was going well there.

As for volunteers, not sure what kind of customer experience you can expect from unpaid workers?
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameivom View Post
It is so convoluted for this year's experience I wouldn't know where to begin. To sum up both experiences I would just say a clueless staff plus no organization in Celebrity/Photo areas plus horrendous customer service topped off by some of the most rude attendees I have ever witnessed (more so than other shows) does not equal a fun time. The vendor areas are not bad but the Autograph and Photo Op areas need a major overhaul in Chicago.

What is really sad is I saw some of the same volunteers that I remember from two years ago and the problems remain and are jaw dropping bad in my opinion. It is like some of them take advantages with their "volunteer" status at this show in particular. Anyway I won't be going back. Left a bad taste in my mouth.
Oddly enough, it's the Autograph and Photo Op areas that Wizard World usually tends to focus on (it's where they make their most money and get the most attention).

I totally understand how all this would put you off from this particular show, but I hope there are other show alternatives in your area that you can attend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
I popped in Friday and sunday. Friday was pretty dead. Sunday was better. I agree that the show has gone downhill, but FWITW, I still think its good to have it as an option.

I didn't do an of the celebrity things - aside from the BmW panel, but as I walked around the area on Sunday morning, it seemed like everything was going well there.

As for volunteers, not sure what kind of customer experience you can expect from unpaid workers?
Agreed on it's good having the show there as an option. My hopes with every disappointing show is that they will learn from their mistakes and improve the next year. On the other hand, there's a strong chance that people who have experiences like nameivom might give up on all shows or the hobby completely as a result. So that could be more of an overall hindrance than a help.

Concerning the volunteers, yeah, they're not getting paid. But they're getting other perks for their service. Perks aside, volunteer work is supposed to be selfless. Volunteers are supposed to be doing their best for the love of the charity/cause they're contributing towards.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
nameivom
The Herculoids

I should update. My personal opinion is Wizard World is fine as a whole. I've been to their conventions in other cities and have not had these types of issues. It is JUST Chicago where I have had bad experiences twice now.

I contacted customer service and the photo op support via email. They are currently working with me on resolving one of my issues. I attended the Portland Oregon one twice and New Orleans once. Not one issue. Of course I could just have been unlucky both times at Chicago but the service I received there both times were bad. Really bad.

EDIT: Being that this was my vacation before going back to work made it that much more of a let down. I get that some are unpaid volunteers but you would expect a bit more than a blank stare and shrugging shoulders from these people. Like they just don't care. I've seen volunteers at other shows with their acts together who show genuine excitement for the shows they are working. Not so at Chicago.

Last edited by nameivom; 08-31-2018 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Adding to reply