Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-08-2020, 12:53 PM   #26961
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Labyrinth (1986) - This was the final theatrical movie directed by Jim Henson, they dont make them like this anymore that is for sure. They did a really good job making the Labyrinth seem real, the puppets, voice acting and creature effects were all top notch, as expected from Jim Henson. Jennifer Connelly did a great job as the spoiled girl who learns a valuable lesson about family, and David Bowie was perfect as Jareth the sinister Goblin King. Although this is technically a family or "kids" movie, there is a lot to enjoy here for adults as well, even just visually its a wonder to behold - 8/10

Kill, Baby, Kill (1966) - Dont let the terrible name dissuade you, this is gothic horror done right from the master himself Mario Bava (Black Sunday, Black Sabbath) I can see the influence this movie had on many supernatural/ghost type movies that came after it (Shining, Insidious, Suspiria to name a few) Its Mario Bava so beautiful use of color goes without saying, this guy really viewed movies as a visual art and that much is obvious in almost all his works. Every scene in this movie is a masterfully lit joy to take in, and although the color use wasn't quite as pronounced in this as it was in my personal favorite Bava movie "The Whip and the Body" Bava is still better than almost anyone in that regard! - 8/10

Shadow of the Vampire (2000) - This movie is not like any other vampire movie I've ever seen. It portrays the "true" story of the filming of the black and white Nosferatu movie made in 1922, so this movie is about that movie being filmed, but here Willem Defoe plays Max Schreck, the actor who portrayed Nosferatu, only in this story Max Schreck isn't just acting as Nosferatu, he actually is him! (back in 1922 when Nosferatu was released it was rumored the actor Max Schreck who played Nosferatu was so believable and in character it was thought he actually was a real life vampire, this movie took that idea and really ran with it) Super creative, super original, Willem Defoe in one of his best roles, and John Malkovich at his very best as the strung out director trying to get the movie completed while his cast and crew mysteriously vanish - 8.5/10

Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture (1994) - fun anime move based on the video game of the same name. It had an interesting story that was all new and not tied to the game story lines, and the animation was quite good with only a few drops in quality at certain parts. The fight scenes were good, not Street Fighter 2 animated movie good, but close. The new characters created for the movie were all cool visually and worked well with the story. Voice dubbing was surprisingly not awful compared to other animes I've watched, and the dialogue better than average for these types of films, the only thing I would change is making the fight scenes longer and more exciting - 7.5/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM   #26962
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

The Black Cauldron (1985) - This was Disneys attempt to appeal to young adults by making a darker animated movie, which backfired horribly. The young kids at the test screenings were horrified which lead to 15 fully animated minutes of the movie getting cut, and while the end product was still really dark, I guess it wasn't dark enough to appeal to young adults so the movie ultimately didnt really hit the mark with any audience, that lead to Disney taking a hit and black listing the movie. It was never even released on home video until 1998, 12 years after its initial release, but it seems to have found a cult following now. I enjoyed it, the animation flowed well and was crisp, apparently it was an extremely expensive movie to make and the animation quality shows that. I'd love to see a version with the cut footage reinserted, but it doesnt look like that will ever happen - 7.5/10
Old 09-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #26963
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Never Grow Old 4/10

John Cusack Western, looks better in trailer than it was

#Alive 7/10 Asian Zombie movie on Netflix, not bad.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #26964
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

21 Bridges (2019) - An embattled NYPD detective is thrust into a citywide manhunt for a pair of cop killers after uncovering a massive and unexpected conspiracy.

No new ground is broken in this standard fast-paced cop thriller. I watched it just to see Chadwick Boseman in something post-Avengers. 6/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #26965
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
No theaters open in my county yet.

???
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:28 PM   #26966
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
No theaters open in my county yet.
Same for me.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #26967
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Pin (1988) - meet Pin, an anatomically correct medical doll that Leon and Ursula's dad uses to teach them about sex and the human body. Through ventriloquism done by the dad, the kids believe Pin is real as it appears he is talking directly to them and answering their questions. As the kids grow older and reach maturity, Ursula catches on to the dads trick, but Leon still firmly believes Pin is real and treats him as part of the family. When the parents die in a freak accident, Pin stops talking to Leon and Ursula, until one day he finally speaks again, is Pin really alive? This movie was definitely giving me 'Psycho' vibes, although its not as good as 'Psycho' it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be, very creepy and unsettling, with great performances from the young leads. Also stars Terry O'Quinn (Stepfather 1&2, Silver Bullet) as the dad - 8/10
Old 09-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #26968
Vracula
Jedi Order

After horrified by the fact that my wife hadn’t seen Silence of the Lambs we set out to watch the trilogy, it had been years since I saw these movies so was excited to see it under a more mature lens.

Silence of the Lambs : 10/10 Hopkins is easily the most disturbing Serial killer I have ever seen on Screen, truly demonic . I remember having a crush on Jodie Foster when I saw this movie as a 10 year old kid (Yeah I know , but hey it was the 90’s and parents didn’t know any better) suprisingly the movie wasn’t as scary then maybe coz I was busy oogling at Jodie foster. None the less an amazing performance by both of them and well deserving of their academies. Ted Levine’s Buffalo Bill unfortunately shadowed by Lecter.

Hannibal:7/10 A Ridley Scott movie through and through, it just has that Summer blockbuster vibe. Not nearly as dark but more violent somehow. All great performances all around, Gary Oldman did a really good job as expected. They romanticised Hannibal Lector in this one , which felt a little off.

Red Dragon: 8/10 And unexpectedly seriously good movie from Brett Ratner, Ralph Fiennes really did well in this one , Hannibal Lector is back to his predatory best, back to his demonic self , his narcissism on full display. Nail biting ending much like Silence of the Lambs, great performances all around .

I think this trilogy has aged real well but man Silence of the Lambs, wow, seriously. What a great movie , I am just glad the sequels didn’t ruin it’s legacy.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #26969
protector2814
Phoenix

You shoud have kicked off with Manhunter (1986) & watched the Hannibal' quadrilogy.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:43 AM   #26970
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Silence of the lambs is pure gold... There are so few films that can make me laugh like that...

Goodbye horses...

It puts the lotion in the basket, or it gets the hose again...

Put the f... lotion in the basket !!!!....
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote