Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-31-2023, 04:44 PM   #1
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Spawn

I've never read Spawn, but I'm thinking about starting from the beginning with some origin TPBs...is it a worthwhile read?

IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:50 PM   #2
qz33
Rescue

Have not read BUT:

The art is primo of course and the Deluxe Origins 1-4 just got reprinted this year after 10 years along with a new release of the 5th volume and the 6th soon to be released.

Maybe not the best written stuff but definitely adult material and one of the most enduring Image comics back in the 90s and even today.

Just no time to read the whole thing but man each page is like a separate print between McFarlane and Greg Capullo.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:58 PM   #3
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Spawn is one of my favorite characters. It is my generations comic book creation. Spawn has a special place for every 90s kid. I really like Spawn.

But i haven't read early Spawn stories since the 90s. There are some who goes back to early Spawn and they are like McFarlane's writing sucks... So i am really scared to read those early Spawn stories. I don't want to ruin my childhood memories. There are other comic book writers who worked on Spawn as well and i never heard anyone bad mouth about them.

But if you want to start from the begining, you should endure McFarlane's writing. McFarlane's art is amazing though. I also collect Spawn Origins OHCs, but my all 12 vols. are still in shrink wrap.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:42 PM   #4
Mister H
Gen 13

Yeah it’s worth it.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:49 PM   #5
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:50 PM   #6
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Enjoy. I’ve been with Spawn from the beginning. I stopped reading comics for a few years while I was working a ton, then when I came back to comic books, I reread the entire series. I am current, and Spawn is up to issue # 341.

I miss McFarlane doing the artwork, and some of the older characters, but I still look forward to reading it every month.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 06:12 PM   #7
AC_808
Hercules

Same here. Bought Spawn from the very beginning. I stopped several years ago, tho ...and haven't picked up the latest comics. I was more into it when McFarlane was doing the artwork.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote