Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-19-2022, 10:39 AM   #71
SONICobra
Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
I loved this first episode. Tatiana Maslany is super charming/likable and they nailed her look...I didn't find it silly or hokey (just hulky), and uh, she's damn fine in green The CGI seemed good for the most part. The humor also really hit. I found Titania's flying kick a bit cheesy, but that's a nitpick. The mid-credits scene
same here, honestly way better than i was expecting. aside from that horrible wire work on the 70's kung fu kick i thought it was pretty enjoyable. cgi was a huge improvement over how it looked in the first trailer
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:05 AM   #72
Sonic Boom
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

I'm watching this show for professional reasons, nothing to do with an attractive green lady.
But kind of disappointed in this opening episode. So the Hulk has faced many struggles in saving the world multiple times, but She Hulk is just automatically better in every way possible. Can she maybe struggle a little and learn a life lesson that is relatable to the audience?
Bruce lost many loved ones but Jennifer can control her anger like a boss because she experienced some mild annoyances in the past. Hopefully there will be no lecture/cringe in the next episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienjakk View Post
Emasculating Steve Rogers before even hitting the 5 minute mark, and actually having her say to Bruce "So I'm a better Hulk" as he stumbles to come up with a reply were eye roll inducing. Outside of that though I found the girl humor quite fitting. I wasn't or anything, but I did enjoy it for the most part.
I fear they will do the same thing to Iron Man when Ironheart is released. Just trashing on a character's legacy for no reason at all.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:10 AM   #73
Augen
The Hulk

We never got to fully explore Hulk on screen. Bruce dealt with childhood trauma that led to having multiple identities "the other guy" manifesting when he became the Hulk. Jennifer didn't have that so her whole experience is different not having the baggage or being a Hulk being the same for everyone.

In terms of her being better. Bruce was clearly holding way back. Him chucking the boulder into the stratosphere was his "if I wanted to..." moment. Maybe someday we will get something to really make him Hulk out, but for now he's a super nice guy that happens to be incredibly strong.

On the episode I had fun as the lead was charming and the pacing was brisk. I'm curious what the spaceship was about and if it comes back. Maybe we get "Planet She Hulk" after the show (didn't really get that with Hulk).

Also, I watched on my television and thought the Hulk effects looked great. Pretty wild a show can pull it off 90% of the time.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:41 AM   #74
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

I loved the first episode, and I can't wait for more!
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:02 PM   #75
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Finally got to watch the first episode. I really liked it. Looking forward to more!
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:03 PM   #76
AC_808
Hercules

Same. I liked the first episode. Humor was great. Effects was pretty good. Fourth wall break was giggles. And totally loved looking at the art during the credits as well. Loving it!!
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:24 AM   #77
Mepaphoros
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Really shocked people are so mad about this show, I thought it was very good! She-Hulk is a much different character than Bruce, and it works perfectly. That's how the character has been written! They included the "4th wall" stuff and I thought the dialogue/character work between her and Bruce was excellent. I'm a bit biased, but so far I put this show up there with any other MCU Disney series.

In hindsight though, why not just have a really big actress to play Shulk? She's not that big where it's impossible like Bruce, I get you want an actual actress but the CGI seems a bit unnecessary considering her stature.
Mepaphoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 04:29 PM   #78
Sonic Boom
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Hulk: watched as his father abused his mother, then abused by his father over the years. Forced to fight giant poodles. Lost his girlfriend while her father hunted Hulk endlessly. Tried to kill himself but Hulk interfered. Pushed away the only other woman he had a future with and who loved him for him, lost that woman, tried to bring her back using the gauntlet, hurt himself badly in the process, and lost countless friends along the way. Now lives his life as a sad shell of his former self.

She Hulk: has had men explain her job to her (even though she's the greatest lawyer of all time). Got cat-called and was told to "calm down". Is an expert on controlling her anger, but micro aggressions trigger her violent and reckless alter ego. She willingly transitioned into a monster so that she could use violence on anyone that crossed her, even at the micro level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepaphoros View Post
Really shocked people are so mad about this show, I thought it was very good! She-Hulk is a much different character than Bruce, and it works perfectly. That's how the character has been written! They included the "4th wall" stuff and I thought the dialogue/character work between her and Bruce was excellent. I'm a bit biased, but so far I put this show up there with any other MCU Disney series.
Not mad, just cringed out. Also saddened by how low testosterone the Hulk has become over the last couple of years. He used to slay Abominations and puny Gods, but now builds Tiki bars and does yoga. This is some feminist fantasy disguised as a comic book show. And the CGI has her looking like 2000s Fiona from Shrek. The writers could have done better. Not the She Hulk I remember reading. But people will praise anthing Marvel puts out.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 05:30 PM   #79
Asgard
Deadman

I just watched Jessica Jones and I'm currently watching Marvel's The Defenders. I would like Disney to license Netflix to make Marvel movies and series.
They're so good. I'm looking forward to the Punisher and Luke Cage

I read She Hulk comics but what Disney produced here I turned off after 15 minutes.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:07 PM   #80
Mepaphoros
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
Hulk: watched as his father abused his mother, then abused by his father over the years. Forced to fight giant poodles. Lost his girlfriend while her father hunted Hulk endlessly. Tried to kill himself but Hulk interfered. Pushed away the only other woman he had a future with and who loved him for him, lost that woman, tried to bring her back using the gauntlet, hurt himself badly in the process, and lost countless friends along the way. Now lives his life as a sad shell of his former self.

She Hulk: has had men explain her job to her (even though she's the greatest lawyer of all time). Got cat-called and was told to "calm down". Is an expert on controlling her anger, but micro aggressions trigger her violent and reckless alter ego. She willingly transitioned into a monster so that she could use violence on anyone that crossed her, even at the micro level.

Not mad, just cringed out. Also saddened by how low testosterone the Hulk has become over the last couple of years. He used to slay Abominations and puny Gods, but now builds Tiki bars and does yoga. This is some feminist fantasy disguised as a comic book show. And the CGI has her looking like 2000s Fiona from Shrek. The writers could have done better. Not the She Hulk I remember reading. But people will praise anthing Marvel puts out.
Hulk is a tough character to write movies for IMO...he's a very complex character psychologically. Ironman, Thor and Cap have had consistent personalities in the comics since they were first created. But the Hulk, more than any other character, has completely different personalities depending on what Hulk you get. Banner is one, Savage Hulk is another, Grey/Fixit Hulk is another and then you have Professor Hulk. This recent MCU version of Hulk is a bit wimpier than Professor Hulk from the comics, but I'm willing to deal with it if we get back to his other versions in future films. I thought the first two Avengers movies were GREAT representations of the savage Hulk, and he was arguably the focus of the first Avengers movie. Usually, when the main protagonist is a mute character you need to build around them with other characters (Godzilla, Predator, Aliens...etc.). We saw that with the first two movies and they didn't do too well. I think Hulk works better in these films as a monster that everyone has to deal with, but it kind of limits his development if we only stick with that version.

The writers failed Hulk in Infinity War though, because they made him look afraid to fight. They said later that he didn't want to take orders from Banner anymore, but most of the audience took it as him being scared. A few more lines of dialogue between Banner and Hulk would have helped clean up the intent of the writers IMO. Hulk also didn't get the big send-off that Cap, Thor and Ironman got at the end of Endgame, and his biggest transformation to Professor Hulk took place off-screen! I was definitely disappointed at his treatment in the last two movies. They also had him lose to Ironman (AOU) and Thor (Ragnarok) pretty convincingly in the movies when that's really never happened in the comics....Hulkbuster loses every time in the comics!

It's also my opinion that if Norton had stayed on as Hulk, HE would have been the focus of the MCU instead of Ironman. Norton would have been the biggest star on screen and it's hard for me to imagine RDJ dominating the scripts so much with him around. Who knows though...RDJ did a tremendous job as Ironman.
Mepaphoros is offline   Reply With Quote