Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 05-31-2018, 02:49 PM   #11
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I can already say with absolute 100% certainty IMO this is BY FAR the most impressive Alien statue ever made...
Have you not seen Prime 1's dog alien?

XM has nice sculpts but their paint cannot compare to Prime 1.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #12
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoburger View Post
Have you not seen Prime 1's dog alien?

XM has nice sculpts but their paint cannot compare to Prime 1.
Dog Alien looks great...but it doesn't compare conceptually to XM. Not even close. Now if you like dog alien more than than typical Xenomorphs...then more power to you.

And paints not only can compare but equal or surpass Prime1...especially with the bigger sized stuff like what you will see with the TFs, Hulkbuster, Predator / Alien, etc.

Put up Prime 1's best paint app and I can pick Hulkbuster, Prime, Predator, Starscream, Weapon X, etc. to match.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:37 PM   #13
Zombiez

I prefer the P1 paint applications. xm is very bright so i guess for the traditional super hero look xm does better their x-men statues and that hulk-buster are perfect examples of what i am talking about. P1 does better on dark colors than xm does so on the alien and predator i am going to give the edge to p1 at least until we see a completed xm alien

I am really looking forward to seeing what the p1 predator is going to look like compared to xm.
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:37 PM   #14
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
I can already say with absolute 100% certainty IMO this is BY FAR the most impressive Alien statue ever made...

Confident words considering what Prime 1 have already delivered with their Dog Alien prototype. I hope this is very cool, but said Dog will be difficult to beat, especially by what is presumably an original take on the character. If P1 can deliver similar levels of awesomeness with their upcoming Big chap, I suspect that will receive the honors of best Alien statue ever made (always debatable) I look forward to seeing more of this however...
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:22 PM   #15
Xenoburger

Quote:
Dog Alien looks great...but it doesn't compare conceptually to XM. Not even close. Now if you like dog alien more than than typical Xenomorphs...then more power to you.

And paints not only can compare but equal or surpass Prime1...especially with the bigger sized stuff like what you will see with the TFs, Hulkbuster, Predator / Alien, etc.

Put up Prime 1's best paint app and I can pick Hulkbuster, Prime, Predator, Starscream, Weapon X, etc. to match.
Are any of those out yet? I've seen in-hand photos of XM pieces and the paint does not look a whole lot better than Sideshow IMO. Prime 1's final products generally retain the exact paint quality of their prototypes.

The skin on XM studios' human sculpts is never painted realistically. Not entirely sure how to describe it. It just looks covered in make-up and without texture. I think Prime 1 uses translucent resin or something similar.

The XM Witchblade is a good example of this. Thought both of the head sculpts on that looked really bland as well.

This is what I'm talking about:

The difference is night and day.

There is no texture, definition, wrinkles, pores, anything in the XM face whatsoever whereas the Prime 1 portrait has all of this. The Witchblade looks like a Barbie doll.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:32 PM   #16
spidermonkey
Mephisto

I will say XM and Prime1 are both awesome. Also prime1 does use the translucent resin but Witchblade is 1/4 and Deathstroke is 1/3. XM's first 1/3 will be the Predator if I'm not mistaken.

I do have Spiderman 2099 and the paint is definitely on point. Comparing it to the XM pieces I would say its a close race imo. XM is really clean with their paint apps not any sloppiness to them.
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:53 AM   #17
KELPIE
New Republic

Quote:
There is no texture, definition, wrinkles, pores, anything in the XM face whatsoever whereas the Prime 1 portrait has all of this. The Witchblade looks like a Barbie doll.
I understand what you're saying, however personally I think it can go either way for both companies.

Sometimes P1 can look more toyish with their translucent resin and sometimes XM can look flat.

However both have their home-runs with their particular execution.

I'm just thankful I rarely buy statues with skin tones or eyes that can go askew...
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:38 AM   #18
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Are any of those out yet? I've seen in-hand photos of XM pieces and the paint does not look a whole lot better than Sideshow IMO. Prime 1's final products generally retain the exact paint quality of their prototypes.

The skin on XM studios' human sculpts is never painted realistically. Not entirely sure how to describe it. It just looks covered in make-up and without texture. I think Prime 1 uses translucent resin or something similar.

The XM Witchblade is a good example of this. Thought both of the head sculpts on that looked really bland as well.

This is what I'm talking about:

The difference is night and day.

Yes i want texture, definition, wrinkles and pores on an woman face....... no.
GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:41 PM   #19
Xenoburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
Yes i want texture, definition, wrinkles and pores on an woman face....... no.
Women have all of those things though. To have none would be unrealistic and end up looking like a doll.

Check out Prime 1's Batgirl or Wonder Woman for example. Their faces aren't rugged like Deathstroke's, but they do have definition and texture. They look like actual human faces.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #20
Armored_Berserk
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Well Prime1 may have better face but for the rest...it looks too much plastic on some statues, especially this Deathstroke.
I have Harley Quinn, the face is amazing but there is a lot of PVC on the body...
Armored_Berserk is offline   Reply With Quote