Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 08-22-2006, 03:53 PM   #11
MikeNegin
The Spirit

Thanks so much for all your kind words!

Jerry was one of the best! He had a small mom & pop comic store in Brooklyn for over 20 years. I started going there when I was 10 years old (and now I'm 35) and Jerry and his wife treated me like a was one of their children. They would make sure my coat was buttoned and I had my gloves on, they would always buy me lunch or have soda for me after school. Jerry would let me sit in the back of the store for hours at a time reading all the back issues because I couldn't afford to buy them. And if there was something I really wanted 9 out of 10 times he would just give it to me...or let me make 100 easy payments out of my allowance (and even then he would usually let me slide after a few payments). Until I went to college I would spend every extra hour I could there...everyday after school, weekends and summers. Even on days the store was closed, we would go to his house and hang out with him and his family. We would get to see the "Good Stuff"....I got to hold a Superman #1 and actually read a Fantastic Four #1....for a teenage comic fan these were thrills of a lifetime. When I got older I worked in the store and Jerry would even let my then girlfriend (now wife) hang out in the store with me. On the day we were married, me and my entire bridal party stopped at the store before the church...I had never missed a Saturday at the book store and I wasn't going to let anything stop me.

I made a lot of great friends at the book store (one who would even become my oldest son's godfather). and I miss all the guys too.....we had a lot of fun. Frank, Mark, Ken, Brian, Ray, Jay, Pete, Anthony, Jose, Steve, and too many more to name!

By the way for all those who are reading this....Jose, who originally started this thread, is the only man I've ever seen who could throw a curve ball with a snowball! On snowy winter days we would often have snowball fights outside the store and Jose would always be able to hit you because just when you though he was aiming for someone else the snowball would practically turn 90 degrees and hit you before you realized it! Boy we had a lot fun times...a lot of great memories!

Those days with Jerry in the book store were some of the best days of my life. I am going to really miss him. He really was one of the greats!
MikeNegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:58 PM   #12
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNegin
Jerry was one of the best! He had a small mom & pop comic store in Brooklyn for over 20 years.
Where in Brooklyn was this?
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:10 PM   #13
MikeNegin
The Spirit

The store was called Canarsie Books & Comics (obviously in the town of Canarsie), Brooklyn, New York on Ave. M and 92nd street. Jerry had to close in late 1998 due to failing health....I thought that the last day of the store was a sad one but it's nothing compared to losing Jerry. That's place was like my second home but Jerry was like a grandfather to me!
MikeNegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:44 AM   #14
mrbrklyn
Doh!

Hello

This is late, but I just want to say I grew up in Jerry's store when it was on Rockaway Parkway, and after it moved to Avenue M. He was almost my a second father. Frank, Rizzo and I wen to the Hilton Comicbook convention all those years ago. Mike sold me a Koosman rookie card. It was all about family and Jerry and Harriet had many adopted children. I last saw Hariet and Jerry exiting Brookdale Hospital and Jerry wasn't doing well a that time. I was sad, and this news breaks my heart. I wrote up a little something about those times, embedded in my work on this American Flagg!! article at
http://www.mrbrklyn.com/american_flagg.html

Jerry was one of the original comic book revolutionary. He loved comics, and he loved the boys and the people who read them. His grin was ear to ear when he got a great book into appreciative hands. He had that leathal suitcase. I love you Jerry and Harriet and Mike and the whole family.

Ruben Safir
mrbrklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:46 AM   #15
mrbrklyn
Doh!

Did he have the first Comicbook store in Brooklyn?
mrbrklyn is offline   Reply With Quote