Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 10-20-2014, 05:48 AM   #1
Thor57
Teen Titans

Can someone explain.......

Hello art print collectors. Looking for some help.

I'm looking to start collecting some prints for when I eventually display my statues. So that leads me to this. I've never collected art before, so I'm very ignorant about the hobby, and dont want to get ripped off. I know some basics, but to avoid misinformation on my part, can someone explain to me like I'm a child the difference in all the different kinds?

Like, whats a giclee, or lithos? Difference in an art print and a general poster with art on it? What is generally coveted? What is it about Mondo prints that drive people crazy other than it being new art? Is it on a certain canvas or such? Any help is great.

Thanks for any help

Jason
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:10 AM   #2
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Theres a glossary / guide on Esspressobeans that might help

http://expressobeans.com/wiki/index.....2FIris_Prints
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
Thor57
Teen Titans

Thanks a lot. I'll check it out.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:26 AM   #4
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Mondo is a brand, their stuff is not better or worse than any of the other places doing these kinds of limited prints. Mondo is a phenomenon that is hard to explain. They do low runs for fast sellouts, which perpetuates the aura. Most of the posters can eventually be found for cost or less. I attribute Mondo's meteoric rise to the Olly Moss Star Wars set. The press that gave them major name recognition. Others with more experience and history may chime in and disagree.

I jumped in hard, jumped out equally as hard. I had a bunch of tubes, no flat file, so kept them on the kitchen table for a year. I finally said forget it, if I am not going to frame something I will sell it. Its very easy to get caught in the hype of every new show and release but I use restraint now and ask myself if I will really frame and display the piece or not.

For me there are so few movies I really love enough to frame and put on the wall - Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Tolkien related stuff, maybe some Alien stuff, Conan (yet to find anything I really like), the Thing.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #5
leplant
Deadman

Some companies you may be interested in following are
Hero Complex Gallery
Bottleneck Gallery
Spoke Art
Dark Hall Mansion
Society 6
& obviously Mondo
There are more that are not coming to mind at the moment. Also, following Blurppy and 411posters is a great way to stay on top of who is releasing what, and when.
leplant is offline   Reply With Quote