Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
tripletn@mac.co
Shadowhawk

Need serious eBay advice please.

Hi Everyone,

I am a seller on eBay, and I recently sold an Omaha the Cat Dancer porcelain statue to a guy in Spain. The statue sold for $50, which is actually far below what it's worth. Oh well, you take the good with the bad. The seller had been sending me messages about helping him out by lowering my shipping cost, (which by the way, I always include insurance and tracking, on me). I took off $5 from the shipping to help out. It was getting to be a strange scenario from the start because he told me he usually had his purchases shipped to a family member in Las Vegas, who would then ship it to him in Spain, but this time he didn't want to bother them, and wanted it shipped to him direct, but asked for a little help on shipping. Long story short, I shipped it, it arrived, and now he writes me that they are asking him for $35 for an import tax, do I know anything about this? I responded, that as far as I was concerned the cost of shipping, which was also $35, was paid for on my end, and he should check if his government has an import tax, and that'd be that. Now he sends me another message:

"Hi Dude, they told me there's an import tax here in Spain. Curiously, the tax is 35 dollars like the shipping costs, and they told me (also) that you must pay it if I return you the item. I don't know what (...) to do. Tomorrow I'm gonna speak with eBay on the phone. I'll keep you informed.

Regards from a crying kid."

Now if you look at my feedback under tripletn5n0o, it's stellar. I feel like I'm dealing with a child here, "DUDE"?, and if I say no, I'm gonna get a negative feedback. It'll end up costing more than the actual item was bought for to ship it back to me. How would you deal with a person like this, and I feel if your grown up enough to bid on an item, you should be grown up enough to pay for it, shipping, tax etc.

On a separate note, has anyone else noticed the amount of sellers now who are putting up unlicensed statues and getting away with it (particularly Superman and Batman)? The one time I tried to sell 2 unlicensed statues (Superman), and for less than I bought them for, I got caught, and threatened with copyright infringement. I guess all the wonderful unlicensed statues I bought and proudly own, are stuck with me forever.

Sorry for the rant. I needed to vent. Thanks in advance for any advice.
tripletn@mac.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Don't sell internationally, it's not worth the hassle.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
palpys_shuttle
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
This is so true, between the various shipping quotes and the fact that people try to pull this stuff. Just not worth it.
palpys_shuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
iceprince_x
Deadman

I am sorry for what has happened to you.
We sometimes get the not so good ebay buyers.

I hope that it won't discourage you to sell still for an international buyer... just maybe next time, we should put and emphasize in our description that all shipping and import tax will be paid by the buyer even though it is truly implied.

Good luck and I hope ebay listens to your side and not that kid.
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Awesome
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Don't worry, ebay will most likely just tell them that it's not the sellers fault and they should be aware of whatever import/VAT fees there are. Don't leave him feedback unless he gives you positive feedback and if he does go to ebay and complain.
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Ex-Parrot
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Idiocy isn't limited to international buyers and sellers, there more than enough of those in every country.
Ex-Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
I agree 200%; I even say "I only ship to the continental USA."

Even so.. with my lowball prices, people from India to Greece still message me; some BIN my item them say "will you ship to me? I'm in yadda yadda," after I tell them "learn to READ", and send them on their way.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Agreed! Stories like this remind my why I don't sell internationally!
tedmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
jye318
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Yea, I will only sell to other country if I will make a little more, for those toy, statue that under $100 is not worse, and international always have tax and custom problem, so he should tell you how much value to put on the custom form, I think he want to you to eat the $35, he is gonna leave you a negative feedback of you don't, this is why my eBay % never 100% cause I don't deal with them, they just want some money back!!
jye318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
ratchet
Mandarin

You might have to take the hit with the neg this time - but maybe it's time to set the buyer straight - tell him the import tax is not your issue.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote