Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #1
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

A Warning for Collectors who Sell on eBay

I've come to the conclusion that it is no longer safe to sell on eBay for the person who occasionally sells things like statues, comics, figures, toys, and that type of collectible. There have been a few bad eBay threads here and there. But after receiving eBay's updated rules a while back that mention return policies, I thought people should know for the holidays and probably future how much eBay rules are against small sellers if you didn't already know.

I'm sure most know that eBay requires tracking for sellers, if you have no proof of a traceable shipment, it's 100% guaranteed that eBay and Paypal will not support you in a case. But there is also the not as described case where a buyer can buy your item, say a comic or a statue, read or display it. Then decide that they don't want it. Use the not as described case and send you back a read or potentially dusty / damaged statue. eBay and Paypal won't care as long as the buyers have return shipment tracking.

I've come across these cases around the Internet and have been disgusted by them. It doesn't matter if you say no returns either, describe it 100% accurately, and photo the item from every angle. Sellers are bound by eBay's terms which give buyers something like 60 days to file a case. And the worst thing is, with eBay no longer allowing sellers to post negative feedback, sellers will not know if a buyer did a scam in the past. Only eBay will know and that's if a seller filed a complaint. And who knows how many complaints a buyer can get before eBay does something.

I stopped selling when I read enough buyer scam stories. I'm sure there are sellers who might attempt a scam. But from what I've seen and with eBay's policies, the rules heavily benefit the buyer. I try not to buy from eBay as well. I find that actual stores that sell on eBay, will have an item lower at their actual store since eBay charges 10% on sales and then Paypal has their fees. I thought people here who sell the occasional comic, statue, figure, or other collectible should know about the problems with eBay's rules and the potential to come across a bad buyer.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:02 PM   #2
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I stopped selling after it cost me more to sell an item. Always losing money (profit).
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:20 PM   #3
PureInvasion

Gave up on eBay a looooooooooooong time ago (both buying and selling). Selling has been a joke for ages (for the exact reasons you mentioned).

Buying is a joke with their shipping fees (forget the exact term) where you pay for duty automatically even though the transaction would never carry duty normally (and if it did, you still get charged more duty at the door anyway regardless what eBay says)

I only use local sites now (Kijiji)
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:57 PM   #4
kathykit
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
I've come to the conclusion that it is no longer safe to sell on eBay for the person who occasionally sells things like statues, comics, figures, toys, and that type of collectible. There have been a few bad eBay threads here and.....
How come! Really bad!
But I just do not use ebay now!
Actually I just try to use facebook or forum.
kathykit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:04 AM   #5
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I pray fellow collectors do good business with each other. Been fortunate so far selling. Buying on the other hand....not so much. Overall cant complain if you can spot a hustle or shipping damage and call it out.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I've never had a problem on eBay.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:28 AM   #7
One Above All
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

when you buy on ebay, when it states that it will ship with ebay global shipping service

do you get charge 2 times for shipping?

One Above All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:50 AM   #8
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Above All View Post
when you buy on ebay, when it states that it will ship with ebay global shipping service

do you get charge 2 times for shipping?

For the buyer yes. You pay the US shipping and then the s/h from the US to your country. Thats what i understand when i ship to an international buyer. That does not include import tax and other fees your country charges
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:39 AM   #9
One Above All
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecollector80 View Post
For the buyer yes. You pay the US shipping and then the s/h from the US to your country. Thats what i understand when i ship to an international buyer. That does not include import tax and other fees your country charges
Thank you thecollector80

Is the shipping cost ebay shows on its website for the ebay global shipping service the "total" cost of shipping within the US plus inclusive of shipping cost from the US to its international destination?
One Above All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
ReplicantSavior

Warning bump for people that might sell on eBay during the holiday season. Remember buyers can make a purchase from you and still attempt to return it in 2018 with eBay's policies. I still haven't found a replacement for eBay but I'm sure one will come along eventually...
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote