Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > From our Bench

Old 04-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
Armblessed
Doh!

"Witch Doctor" WIP

Hi! Sorry to come in new and start asking for things, but I've been looking for some feedback on a project of mine.

I am a complete amateur and I've been working on it for a long time so its hard for me to tell whats wrong with it. I'm struggling, but I'm a perfectionist, so I'm hoping folks will be willing to give harsh criticism so I can work to improve it.

Its supposed to (eventually) be a 1/10 scale action figure of the lead character from a comic called Witch Doctor:

Here is some art from the comic for reference:
https://momcomics.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/wd01.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qeX1URb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PceEMEj.jpg

I have concern about my proportions and clothing. (I'm very frustrated with his hair, but I've torn it off and redone it so much that I put it on the back burner for now.) His head looks a little big, but the original artist seems to draw him with a big noggin? He is supposed to be skinny ('sicky chic' as the original artist put it) but his arms and the backs of his upper calves may be too skinny? His shoulders are too broad?

My sincere thanks for looking and for any suggestions you may have!

PS: I'm not one for taking photos either, apparently. If better photos (or reference images) would be useful, happy to attempt that.
Armblessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
sdilks
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I think it looks great! Great detail!

He is almost properly proportioned: He is about 6.5 heads tall, and an average person is around 7-7.5 heads tall. Unless you're going for the heroic, or elongated look, then he will be about 8-9. As for width, I think you have it about right for his look. Average person is 3 heads wide (you can fit head between ear and shoulder). So his head is a bit bigger than that, but that's what you want for this skinny/lanky character.

I think once you elongate him a bit to reach that 7-8 head length, you'll see him look a lot closer to the comic. I think you are using a 1/10th scale for an average 5'10"-6' person. This guy looks taller than that in the comic. That's why the scale you're comparing him to isn't working. If he's say, 6'5" (77") in the comic, a 1/10th scale figure would be about 7.7" tall.

Just my opinion. Take or leave. No worries!

You have obvious talent, so keep going until YOU like it. That's what matters. Great job!
sdilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:33 AM   #3
Leonard1983
Frackin!

Its looking great! And that for a beginner?! Cool.
Just out of curiosity; is there a important reason to divide all the limbs (a small oven?)?
Leonard1983 is offline   Reply With Quote