Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > From our Bench

Old 08-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #21
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

repaint/custom of licensed products, original creations and/or 1of 1 is fine.
examples: buying a Moore statue and painting /tweaking it
making an original batman sculpt (no copies though)
having your own character creation

unlicensed kits/recasts are not.
someone sculpted a superman and made 4 copies of it
buying a sideshow statue and recasting it (making copies of it)

it's actually that simple.

Last edited by d rod; 08-23-2013 at 12:16 PM.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
Spazzy
Hercules

I am guessing there will be alot of repetitive questions, people just don't want to risk getting banned without notice.

Bummed about not showing a painted piece I am about to finish... It is of a licensed character but I didn't sculpt and cast it.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
Andrew
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d rod View Post
it's actually that simple.
Yeah, it is that simple, but it's unfortunate as well.

Where does it end? Are the people in the Collection Corner going to be banned for having pictures of unlicensed kits in their collection?

I completely understand that the promotion of selling and commissioning these items for sale is an absolute no-no, but to be forbidden to paint an unlicensed model or kit and show off the paint job, wow. These companies are coming across as dictators.

I understand the concept, but it's just unfortunate to limit artists like this.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #24
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

Where does it end? Are the people in the Collection Corner going to be banned for having pictures of unlicensed kits in their collection?

I completely understand that the promotion of selling and commissioning these items for sale is an absolute no-no, but to be forbidden to paint an unlicensed model or kit and show off the paint job, wow. These companies are coming across as dictators.

A by-product of being an artist. I think there are more talented sculptors, painters, etc. in the general public that unfortunately just don't have the opportunities some others that got into the industry do. If these companies (Marvel, SS, Hasbro, etc. etc.) gave people an opportunity to sculpt or draw for them, they might find less commissioning of their licensed products going on.

In any case, it's the law and these rules are in place for a reason.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #25
WRossi
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

you are 100% correct.
its really semantics at this point,all issues can be argued to a stand still by both sides, this is dumb. in the year i've been on this site i learned so much and could only imagine what more i could learn if these unfortunate rules weren't forced by " the you know who youe are's".
The painters getting hit on this is moronic and the way these rules have been tailored to fit the few is shameful. Some of the same people who are preaching in the "dictator " like fashion,(good word for this by the way Andrew) are on other forums being "the you know who you are's". I know, I know what happens on other sites isn't statueforums problem. Just sad and disappointed the painters are getting hit, we have nothing to do with the commissioning of kits we just apply the color and we are not selling kits or the representation of licensed charcters ,we just add pigment..lol. We want to show off our hard work and be proud regardless what the platform for the expression is.
We can blame the big companies for coming down on this situation but they don't run this site or make the new rules ,they just complained forcing the action. The same way people don't own rights to their properties they in turn own no right to this site. Think about that people. Through paint we display our right of speech through artistic expression plain and simple. If we are not allowed to do that, is that not as bad as the recasters and kit-makers. on one hand you have some one breaking rights and the other bottle necking them until they cannot be expressed in ways the individual sees fit?
I',m so disappointed in these painting restrictions and however they were made.I feel like im a kid again and found out santa wasn't real or that day when you were younger and realized these heros we cherish dearly could never exist, it mirrors the current situation just replace the word heroes with forum.

Now im sure this post will ruffle a few feathers,im not looking to start a argument but if people are butt hurt by this that will show their stance i guess at the least and if i get banned it was a pleasure to work and grow alongside my fellow peers,you guys are great, best wishes -WR
WRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #26
astromerc
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I have an original werewolf sculpt I am working on, am I allowed to post pictures of the progress? Yes. Am I allowed to share a link to my site, if I want to sell it? Yes...No? Can I say " It has been completed please PM me for more info", is that okay? Also I do Comic book art will this be for Artist Alley as well?

Just asking thanks.
astromerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #27
Boondog
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
Sculptor

I think the general key points to take from this is if you own it (creator/licence) you can show/sell to your heart's content because it's your's. If it's not your property, use some common sense, don't be obtuse about the rules of copyright, as they apply to ALL of us. Show the one and done, and if you show progress pics, don't insinuate any aspect of further production. Share your opinions and critiques with others, but keep your mouths shut in regards to the mercantile aspects. Shiny?
Boondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #28
GedTasker
Home Grown Mod

Rossi i really do understand were your coming from mate, and i really admire your passion and the way you've expressed your opinion. But at the end of the day the owner of this site could of just easily closed down the Sculptor's Corner, Customs Corner and Painter's Corner to save himself the headache it was causing... but he never. He's been trying to find the best possible solution to this problem and IMO i think what he's come up with was the last thing he could of done. It really is a shame because i love kits and commissioned status being shown on here, but we just have to accept change.
GedTasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #29
blanke2805
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRossi View Post
you are 100% correct.
its really semantics at this point,all issues can be argued to a stand still by both sides, this is dumb. in the year i've been on this site i learned so much and could only imagine what more i could learn if these unfortunate rules weren't forced by " the you know who youe are's".
The painters getting hit on this is moronic and the way these rules have been tailored to fit the few is shameful. Some of the same people who are preaching in the "dictator " like fashion,(good word for this by the way Andrew) are on other forums being "the you know who you are's". I know, I know what happens on other sites isn't statueforums problem. Just sad and disappointed the painters are getting hit, we have nothing to do with the commissioning of kits we just apply the color and we are not selling kits or the representation of licensed charcters ,we just add pigment..lol. We want to show off our hard work and be proud regardless what the platform for the expression is.
We can blame the big companies for coming down on this situation but they don't run this site or make the new rules ,they just complained forcing the action. The same way people don't own rights to their properties they in turn own no right to this site. Think about that people. Through paint we display our right of speech through artistic expression plain and simple. If we are not allowed to do that, is that not as bad as the recasters and kit-makers. on one hand you have some one breaking rights and the other bottle necking them until they cannot be expressed in ways the individual sees fit?
I',m so disappointed in these painting restrictions and however they were made.I feel like im a kid again and found out santa wasn't real or that day when you were younger and realized these heros we cherish dearly could never exist, it mirrors the current situation just replace the word heroes with forum.

Now im sure this post will ruffle a few feathers,im not looking to start a argument but if people are butt hurt by this that will show their stance i guess at the least and if i get banned it was a pleasure to work and grow alongside my fellow peers,you guys are great, best wishes -WR
Haha Warren u The man !!! ))
blanke2805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #30
Joppula
Marshal Law

I'm a sculptor who's never posted a thread in Sculptors Corner. I was working on a few pieces I wanted to get critiques on.

Frankly, the idea of creating a thread in this climate is scary. I probably won't bother until this cools out big time.

Really too bad it's come to this. And that library of old sculpts locked away from the world nearly brings a tear to my eye.

It's like a library of knowledge has vanished.
Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote