Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > From our Bench

Old 12-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Possible Forum Sculpting Challenges

Hey guys. I was wondering how people might feel about sculpting challenges 2 or 3 times a year.

To give you an idea what it might be like, we could set bi yearly or thrice yearly times. Each challenge would be for a short period of time say 2 or 3 weeks. In say the week leading up to the challenge start we could take subject ideas from the forum, place the top 10 suggestions in a randomizer and randomly pick one. We could also do challenges that medium specific. Say one challenge for traditional media only and another for digital media only and possible third for anything goes. This way people can try new media or even just come out of their comfort zone (which can be a good thing). We could also either have a panel of judges or if we get fewer than 20 entries have the forum vote on the sculpts. I don't know if we could do prizes or anything but it could be a fun way to try things or just get some sculpting in. We could also add in critique.

At this point these are just ideas I'm tossing around so all suggestions are welcome. Please feel free to chime on and let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:03 PM   #2
Mister H
Green Goblin

Sounds interesting. I’ve had a somewhat similar idea rolling around in my head for a while, more of a 24 hour sculpting session with periodic updates showing progress. Your idea sounds do-able, how many fellas here sculpt though?
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Sounds interesting. I’ve had a somewhat similar idea rolling around in my head for a while, more of a 24 hour sculpting session with periodic updates showing progress. Your idea sounds do-able, how many fellas here sculpt though?
There's quite a few that submit stuff. I'm sure there are more who haven't though.

We don't necessarily need a ton, but it be cooler with more people.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Okay...maybe not as popular an idea as I thought...
Old 12-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I'd be in. It wouldn't even have to be all that crazy in terms of scope. It could be really practical things like sculpting the best likeness of an actor which can be a good activity. I will say that this area is a little dead and it is the holidays which may be attributing to your lack of responses. I can honestly say I rarely learned more with my art then when I was drawing in monthly draw offs for about 2 years.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:51 AM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Okay...maybe not as popular an idea as I thought...

Perhaps people just need a bit more time to see this thread. I would give it a couple of weeks to say for sure.

I could post a review and see it only got a couple hundred hits in the first day or two. I leave it for a week and I see that number pass 2k. I like your idea. I imagine others will as well.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
I'd be in. It wouldn't even have to be all that crazy in terms of scope. It could be really practical things like sculpting the best likeness of an actor which can be a good activity. I will say that this area is a little dead and it is the holidays which may be attributing to your lack of responses. I can honestly say I rarely learned more with my art then when I was drawing in monthly draw offs for about 2 years.
Oh we can with all sorts of ideas. I mean we can do busts and full figures or even iconic weapons, whatever strikes the fancy. I figured at least for the first few we could put it to a vote and see what people want but we could even do one offs for holidays and such, like kind of spur-of-the-moment challenges for Halloween or Christmas. We'll see once we get into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Perhaps people just need a bit more time to see this thread. I would give it a couple of weeks to say for sure.

I could post a review and see it only got a couple hundred hits in the first day or two. I leave it for a week and I see that number pass 2k. I like your idea. I imagine others will as well.
Solid advice, I'll leave this up and see what happens, I'm in no rush, I just had this idea for a while and finally figured I'd see if the forum sculptors would like it.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Oh we can with all sorts of ideas. I mean we can do busts and full figures or even iconic weapons, whatever strikes the fancy. I figured at least for the first few we could put it to a vote and see what people want but we could even do one offs for holidays and such, like kind of spur-of-the-moment challenges for Halloween or Christmas. We'll see once we get into it.

Solid advice, I'll leave this up and see what happens, I'm in no rush, I just had this idea for a while and finally figured I'd see if the forum sculptors would like it.
Well I think it is a great idea. I think this may gain some traction. Lets see what happens over then next few weeks
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #9
daz1999
Mephisto

I’d be in
daz1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #10
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz1999 View Post
I’d be in
Well that makes 4...I think. Maybe I'll put something together for March. Something popular and doable for the first one.