Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Comic Books not media mail?

I have sent comic books in the mail for years for eBay auctions through media mail to help keep shipping costs down and have gotten my new comic books sent to me via media mail also from my online comic shop. I just went to the Post Office to ship a lot of comics I just sold and the postal guy asked me what kind of books. I told him comic books figuring it was not an issue and he went in the back and came back and said that comic books could not be shipped media mail. Difference was $10.93 for media and $23.53 for parcel post. Needless to say, I didn't ship it. I am going to just take it to a different post office. Anybody have this issue for shipping comics media mail?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
patrickwm68
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
I have sent comic books in the mail for years for eBay auctions through media mail to help keep shipping costs down and have gotten my new comic books sent to me via media mail also from my online comic shop. I just went to the Post Office to ship a lot of comics I just sold and the postal guy asked me what kind of books. I told him comic books figuring it was not an issue and he went in the back and came back and said that comic books could not be shipped media mail. Difference was $10.93 for media and $23.53 for parcel post. Needless to say, I didn't ship it. I am going to just take it to a different post office. Anybody have this issue for shipping comics media mail?
Most of the time I ship comics Media Mail and I've never been questioned. to be honest I've never had the post office question what I was shipping. Now I print most of my labels online and have the packages picked up so if this is a new rule I haven't heard about it.

I don't think the guy at your post office knew what the heck he was talking about.

You really should print your labels online anyway, it's cheaper and you have the option of leaving the price off the label if you print them through Paypal.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
Babytoxie
Ghost

I've had it come up a time or two. Media mail covers anything printed or recorded, but I've had some postal employees tell me that it only applies to educational material. In those instances, I either come back later to a different clerk or go to another location and mail it with no problem.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Teague
Iron Man

Who's to say that comics aren't educational? I've taught a lit class several times that uses Batman: Year One and Watchmen on the reading list!

Honestly, the post office has nothing to say about how you classify what you're sending. Those losers.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Who's to say that comics aren't educational?
D'oh! Well, yeah...
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Kingofthehill78
King Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
I used to use the post office to mail everything but now its just terrible.....anything bigger then a square foot box is considered an excessive large box and you get extra fees taxed onto it. Keep in mind I was trying to ship a buffy tiki maquette and it came up $40 to ship the item priority mail from pa to Tx. You all know how small the maquette is. Well I went to fed ex and it was $8 to get it there in 4 days (fed ex ground).... Fed ex ground is so cheap. If you send it fed ex ground ,their prices are super low even if the package is big and heavy compared to the post office.
Kingofthehill78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
k9ziggy
A day without sunshine is like... night.

The rule is this..........if it contains ads, it cannot go by media mail. Bear in mind, the postal service can actually seize the package and destroy it if they determine it was falsely described.
k9ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9ziggy View Post
The rule is this..........if it contains ads, it cannot go by media mail. Bear in mind, the postal service can actually seize the package and destroy it if they determine it was falsely described.
Than how can I get my new comics from my online comic store every two weeks via media mail. The post office has to know they are sending comic books.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
Foord
The Avengers

Comics can still go as "Bound Printed Matter" or it at least it did the last time some boffin at the PO actually paid attention and asked me what was in the box.
Foord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
ratchet
Mandarin

Wow - I wasn't aware of this! This thread is learnin' me good!
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote