Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Missing The Fantastic Four As Just Part Of The U.

Re-reading my Avengers Disassembled trade recently when I hit the splash-page gathering of all former Avengers & supporters which included The FF. It got me thinking about how much I miss the team in the current MU. I remember when they used to be everywhere. Spidey & various other heroes would seek them out for advice or with off-worldly questions. The FF could break up with individual team members guest starring in other's stories or titles. The Fantastic Four title itself had it's ups & downs, but could always be picked up for a full shot of Marvel goodness. I just miss the team & really fault Disney/Marvel for being short-sighted enough to only see potential movie dollars & their losses as reason for white-washing the FF out of the current U. They'd still make $ on the comics & the potential new comic fans any movie goers spin off from.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I miss them too. I know Thing is still around but what about the other 3? Are they dead?
Old 06-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
protector2814
Phoenix

I've seen Johnny in recent GoG books.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #4
punisher129
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Reed has appeared in the Invincible Iron Man recently.
punisher129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I think that's the Ultimate Reed in Infernal Iron Man, or Dr. Doom as Iron Man.

I agree with Jerry. The FF has long been my favorite book, set of characters and recurring characters in the MU. Like Superman, writers have had a tough time figuring them out and getting them right, a symbol of their complexity, power and appeal. Stan/Jack, John Byrne and Mark Waid are at the top of the FF's scribes. Marvel needs to bring them back and put their best writer, Jason Aaron, on the book and couple him with one of their best artists who especially can draw The Thing right. Stuart Immonen comes first to mind.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I think that's the Ultimate Reed in Infernal Iron Man, or Dr. Doom as Iron Man.

I agree with Jerry. The FF has long been my favorite book, set of characters and recurring characters in the MU. Like Superman, writers have had a tough time figuring them out and getting them right, a symbol of their complexity, power and appeal. Stan/Jack, John Byrne and Mark Waid are at the top of the FF's scribes. Marvel needs to bring them back and put their best writer, Jason Aaron, on the book and couple him with one of their best artists who especially can draw The Thing right. Stuart Immonen comes first to mind.

As much as I like Jason Aaron, I have found him to be hit or miss. To write FF, you really need a superb scifi imagination and a penchant for physics and chemistry. If he does indeed get a stint on the book, I hope he can pull it off.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:42 PM   #7
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

I know he doesn't have many fans here, but I thought the Jonathan Hickman run on Fantastic Four/FF was epic. I wish I could find the first Hickman omnibus at a decent price.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:00 AM   #8
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

It's a shame, but I don't actually know where the FF would fit in comics and what readership they would have now. It seems the space faring family mantle has been passed to the GOTG crew.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #9
protector2814
Phoenix

We never really talk about playwrite' Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa's 30 issue run on the Fabntastic Four back in their experiment with them under The Marvel Knights Banner. I loved that book & feel it never got the attention or appreciation it deserved. Give a new FF book to Aguirre-Sacasa. He really got the family dynamic & while he didn't really take the FF to outer space, he took them to plenty of weird places (anyone remember the Pine-Barrens/Jersey Devil issue?) He could do it. The Marvel Knights FF had artists like Steve Mcniven, Jim Muniz, Mizuki Sakabara & Clay Mann drawing; beautiful stuff in every issue. Anyone of the artists could pick up the book with Sacasa. I woud be so happy if something like this came to play. Truly, I don't see why Marvel isn't doing a new FF anything?

Old 06-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I'm not a fan of Hickman's run, or anything he's done for Marvel. I did like the Marvel Knights FF, thought it was pretty innivative, but don't think it compares to what Waid did on the book.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote