Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-12-2016, 03:13 AM   #1
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back

ErikDavis: Tom Cruise teases next MISSION movie, says production starts this fall. Now intros JACK REACHER 2, set in DC & New Orleans #CinemaCon

slashfilm: Jack Reacher: Never Go Back has a great open with JR being arrested in a diner. Looks like Old school kick ass action film #cinemacon2016

ErikDavis: JACK REACHER 2 footage looked solid; more shadowy Reacher kicking ass, this time w/ Colbie Smulders at his side. #CinemaCon
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Trailer for JACK REACHER: NEVER GO BACK
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
gomur
The Tick

Enjoyed the first movie. Checking this one out as well.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

I was really put off by the first movie. While it was a decent flick, it was also one of the most glaring miscasts in movie history and, for me, shone a huge spotlight on Hollywood's disrespect for established characters. I've read lots of the Reacher books and Tom Cruise is not even close to the right guy to play him. Reacher is a huge man, described as 6'4", solid 240 and rugged as all hell. Cruise is a shrimp and a pretty boy. Hugh Jackman, Chis Hemsworth, Arnold Vosloo. These are some names that should have gotten the audition call for Reacher.

Making another one? Easy pass for me.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Enjoyed the first movie. Checking this one out as well.
Ditto. Totally enjoyed the first one and will see this one too.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #6
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKni9hT View Post
I was really put off by the first movie. While it was a decent flick, it was also one of the most glaring miscasts in movie history and, for me, shone a huge spotlight on Hollywood's disrespect for established characters. I've read lots of the Reacher books and Tom Cruise is not even close to the right guy to play him. Reacher is a huge man, described as 6'4", solid 240 and rugged as all hell. Cruise is a shrimp and a pretty boy. Hugh Jackman, Chis Hemsworth, Arnold Vosloo. These are some names that should have gotten the audition call for Reacher.

Making another one? Easy pass for me.
Well...physical appearance does not equal histrionic talent. Height means nothing if you do not know how to act. Personally, I doubt that Hugh Jackman, Chris Hemsworth and Arnold Vosloo could have done it any better. When it comes about acting, Tom Cruise is on a level of his own. Let's face it; the guy knows his trade really well.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #7
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Ditto. Totally enjoyed the first one and will see this one too.
+1
Old 06-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #8
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
Well...physical appearance does not equal histrionic talent. Height means nothing if you do not know how to act. Personally, I doubt that Hugh Jackman, Chris Hemsworth and Arnold Vosloo could have done it any better. When it comes about acting, Tom Cruise is on a level of his own. Let's face it; the guy knows his trade really well.
now now now. You guys are all complaining about how BvS or MOS didn't portray their characters like they are in the comics so he can be unhappy that Tom Cruise doesn't fit the character in the books. Can't complain on one hand and accept the difference in the other!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:56 PM   #9
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
now now now. You guys are all complaining about how BvS or MOS didn't portray their characters like they are in the comics so he can be unhappy that Tom Cruise doesn't fit the character in the books. Can't complain on one hand and accept the difference in the other!
Well, Cruise is better actor than Affleck and Cavill. Just sayin...

Old 06-23-2016, 06:35 PM   #10
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
Well, let's just start by agreeing to disagree on the level of Cruise's acting ability. He's a fine actor, but, IMO, not in a league of his own. Plenty of guys more physically right for the part, including at least two of the ones I mentioned, are every bit as good as Cruise in the acting chops department.

Be that as it may, and to bags' point, that does not entitle him to any role that comes along. Read six pages of any Reacher novel and tell me he's the right man for the job. Reacher is huge by any definition, grizzled and has a nose that's been broken and reset so many times it's almost unrecognizable. Does any of that sound like Tom Cruise?

You truly believe that Hugh Jackman couldn't pull off the role of a large, no bullsh1t, tough as nails ex marine? I put forward seven goes at Wolverine that say different. And, opinions being what they are, personal, I feel he's easily the same level as Cruise in terms of talent. X-Men movies might have been a bit fluffy, but Les Miserables and Australia sure weren't.

Volsoo as well, has way more of the appearance and a decent acting pedigree to play Reacher. His history of playing characters with an ominous, don't f--k with me character is pretty long. He's got an imposing presence that I think would work here.

Hemsworth might have been a stretch, but he still looks far more the part. Might have to do a nose prosthetic to bully him up a little, but that's no big deal. And he's a decent enough actor to fill that role I'd say. Not like Reacher is a deep, complex character to play.

Opinions vary, but, IMO, Cruise was the absolute worst casting call to play Jack Reacher. In fact, no exaggeration, the only way I could bring myself to watch the first one was to force my mind to think Zack Beacher, to keep me from being so totally disappointed in the call. Like I said in my original post, good enough movie, terrible casting call.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote