Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-09-2016, 09:10 PM   #21
johnclone
The Enchantress

I got confused earlier, it has only been 2 so far. 2 very full episodes that feel like 3. lol
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:46 AM   #22
johnclone
The Enchantress

Spoilers

Tonight's episode, the beast something or other, the guy who plays Dr Frankenstein sure can act sad, his pining over his former creation is so real at times. I enjoyed seeing all of the developing storylines dealing with all of the regular characters. Especially since the show does seem very Ethan centered lately.

That girl that Dorian saved sure was showing her gratitude. I don't know what they are planning to do with her, but she's getting more significance in that story, like maybe she is going to become a regular cast member next season also.

Second half felt like "OK we're done with this storyline, so she dies, he dies, he dies, and he dies, and they die. OK, that about wraps it up." I felt like with all of Hecate's powers and everything, for her to be felled by a single ordinary *non enchanted* bullet somewhere in the old west didn't add up. I really like the way the actress plays that character, disappointed to see her seemingly meet her end.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #23
Vallos
Jubilee

I did not like Hecate dying. It seemed too convenient to remove Ethan's inner struggle between good and evil. With her out of the way, it will be easier to bring him back. That and the fact that Sarah Greene was excellent in that role, not to mention beautiful. I loved Ethan's inverted grace.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:29 AM   #24
johnclone
The Enchantress

I think it said that there's only three more episodes in the season? So I guess they had to rush that story a bit but it sure showed. But with that all done, now I guess they'll get Ethan back across the sea so he and Dracula get together for the ultimate duel of monsters, Dracula vs Wolfman! That should be a hoot.

Hecate might be back, you never know.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #25
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
Spoilers

Tonight's episode, the beast something or other, the guy who plays Dr Frankenstein sure can act sad, his pining over his former creation is so real at times. I enjoyed seeing all of the developing storylines dealing with all of the regular characters. Especially since the show does seem very Ethan centered lately.

That girl that Dorian saved sure was showing her gratitude. I don't know what they are planning to do with her, but she's getting more significance in that story, like maybe she is going to become a regular cast member next season also.

Second half felt like "OK we're done with this storyline, so she dies, he dies, he dies, and he dies, and they die. OK, that about wraps it up." I felt like with all of Hecate's powers and everything, for her to be felled by a single ordinary *non enchanted* bullet somewhere in the old west didn't add up. I really like the way the actress plays that character, disappointed to see her seemingly meet her end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
I did not like Hecate dying. It seemed too convenient to remove Ethan's inner struggle between good and evil. With her out of the way, it will be easier to bring him back. That and the fact that Sarah Greene was excellent in that role, not to mention beautiful. I loved Ethan's inverted grace.
I loved the seeds they planted with the Hecate/Ethan/Vanessa-Malcom dynamic but I think they really fumbled the ball with it. Ethan's complete embrace of the darkness was too quick and a massive departure from where he was when he and Hecate first set off. To have Ethan go from the self sacrificial place he was at the end of S2 to saying the inverse Lord's prayer at the dinner was too drastic a turn without appropriate narrative groundwork first imho.

The resolution of this storyline should have been down the road facilitated by either a longer episode count or moving of one of the parallel storylines to S4.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #26
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Sorry to see
Spoiler
Hecate die
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #27
johnclone
The Enchantress

I guess that's it. THE END

Not entirely satisfied with the endings, but there's enough to have some sense of closure to the story. I thought making the psychologist an instant vampire slayer was a little silly. The part where the 2 werewolves looked directly at each other and roared was easily the dumbest looking 5 seconds of all 3 seasons for me.

edit:

The show is officially announced as canceled.

Showtime confirms that the series will not be returning for a fourth season.

I guess the gunslinger girl was planned to take the place of Vanessa as the female lead and daughter-like character to Malcolm if there had been a season 4. Vanessa was hardly seen in the finale, so it did feel like they were phasing her out altogether.

I think the show accomplished what it set out to do, it was fun seeing a show that combined the paths of Dorian Grey with Dr Frankenstein and his monster, someone who reminded you of Billy the Kid but then we learned he is actually a wolfman, and a guy who was like Van Helsing, and somehow managed to pull it off. But I do think the story for this current season was a bit weak when it came to injecting Dracula into the mix. Once they established that Sweet was actually Dracula, it just seemed to me that the Vanessa story arc quickly lost something. It felt very similar to the past 2 seasons, someone trying to seduce Vanessa to turn her bad, been there done that. But then she lets Dracula bite her. What? For me that is when things got mucked up. She willingly gave herself to Dracula, banged him on the floor, thus causing people to get sick and die. So finally Vanessa is totally overcome by evil. Now we know why, because they planned to do a Jon Snow and kill her as the only way to save her from succumbing to evil.

No doubt then, the fourth season could have been like "Search for Spock" with everyone working to bring her back from the dead and defeat Dracula for good. Or maybe Frankenstein would have reanimated her and she'd come back that way. They definitely would have brought Vanessa back.

I think the show hit it's strongest stories in the second season, but all 3 seasons were never boring.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #28
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

They say this was always intended to be a three season show, but I think there were things being sown into the narrative setting things up for the future. The flamboyant guy, forget his name, was off to Egypt. I assumed he'd return with a mummy from his trip, setting up the next monster, along with Jekyll and Hyde of course. The Hartigan character was interesting and had potential. I'm sure the psychiatrist had some back story to uncover. I was also hopeful we'd get the invisible man. Oh well, it was a good show, but can't say I don't welcome having one less show to watch.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:01 PM   #29
johnclone
The Enchantress

Yeah, was just waiting for the Mummy to show up. That could have had a lot of possibilities.

On the bright side, I'm glad they didn't start a new season only to cancel it midway through. I really hate that.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:01 PM   #30
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post

On the bright side, I'm glad they didn't start a new season only to cancel it midway through. I really hate that.
I don't recall them ever doing that with any of the "pay" channels shows. These shows are usually in the can by the time they air, as opposed to the network ones. It's probably due to the shorter seasons, but they usually cancel them after the season is done.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote