Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 01-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Licensing & Production Question

Hi Guys,

I don't know if this is the proper place for this or not but here goes. I am a big fan of Luis Royo and his painted art work. I know there was one Royo Statue done ("Past Future Fog") and it more or less fell flat on it's face. They only made 950 of them and Dark Horse still has a bunch of them and so does Bud Plant, so obviously they haven't sold. I think there were a few reasons for this.

1. It wasn't the best choice of his paintings - the woman is sexy, but is wearing some sort of cowel and most of her head is hidden, there are also a bunch of robotic creatures that seem out of place

2. The sculpt is too small - it is about 9" tall and the detail is lacking compared with the other fine sculpts that are available from Moore, Reel Art, and others

3. Not the best sculpt or paint- perhaps this is a problem caused by the size of the sculpt, but there is no tone differential of the skin, the eyes are black, and with her mouth the way it is, she looks like.........well.........a blow up doll from an adult store.

So anyway, my questions are

1. Does anyone have or know if there is a license for statues based on Royo's work?

2. How does it work? Does a sculptor approach a paint artist or vice versa?

3. Maybe I'm in the minority, has this already been explored and there is no market for Royo art turned to statues?

I have a bunch of his art books and think a good sculptor with a 1/6 scale could do awsome work with his paintings.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote