Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 07-24-2017, 11:17 PM   #1911
Josado
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Changed I noticed. New face sculpt and paint. Fabric instead of resin tutu. Added helmet. Worn texture on tires. No weathering on outfit.

Kind of liked original face sculpt as she looked more Latina. She is Junior Dos Ochos. Now she looks like California white girl. Still a nice sculpt.

Is this statue going to have the record between first preview and final release? Shows those Hot Toys Hulkbuster purchasers have nothing to whine about when it comes to a long wait.
I didn't notice all those changes. Good eye. And yeah, I preferred the original face too. :/
Josado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:15 AM   #1912
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Also noticed the trigger is missing on the carbine.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:16 AM   #1913
Josado
Statue Forum MacDaddy

The tutu not being sculpted makes it look cheap.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:50 AM   #1914
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josado View Post
The tutu not being sculpted makes it look cheap.
From the outset, the tutu looked odd. Maybe they decided to make it removable.

I wonder if the crash-helmet is for show only, or can it be placed over the head?

Maybe wishful thinking on my part. With this latest showing, i get the impression GG are showing what is possible as a production piece. The original paint app featured levels of dirt, which might have proved difficult to re produce at an acceptable level for a given price.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:03 AM   #1915
Josado
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
From the outset, the tutu looked odd. Maybe they decided to make it removable.

I wonder if the crash-helmet is for show only, or can it be placed over the head?

Maybe wishful thinking on my part. With this latest showing, i get the impression GG are showing what is possible as a production piece. The original paint app featured levels of dirt, which might have proved difficult to re produce at an acceptable level for a given price.
That'd be cool to have that helmet be an alternate portrait. But we'll see soon, I hope.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:05 PM   #1916
dechirico7
The Flash

I did not notice the new tutu....
I like the original sculpted one more.

I have a feeling GG us trying to cheapen the production on this piece.
It is too bad. The original was perfect.
They can still put the dirt on her suit....jeez.

I can live with the portrait change, but these other changes kind of piss me off.

For the price they are going to charge, they could have left her the same.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:57 PM   #1917
built2shred
Phoenix

Keep in mind the resale value on the Honey Trap line is awful, your lucky to get 50% back. Thought I'd throw that out there for people who like to update their collections down the road and sell their old statues.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:02 AM   #1918
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
I have a feeling GG us trying to cheapen the production on this piece.
It is too bad. The original was perfect.
You could be right and it wouldn't surprise me that they voted against giving her the axe on the count that she had to be made cheaper and undergo corner cuts in production. It was probably the only way they'd get her out to the few collectors who wanted her.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:52 AM   #1919
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

I don't think the original portrait was perfect (I do prefer the sculpted tutu though. As much as I usually love mixed media, it isn't GG to me.) So, if GG wanted to revise or update it in any way . . . Will Harbottle works for Sideshow now. They probably had to have someone else re-sculpt the face because they couldn't bring him back onboard.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #1920
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
I don't think the original portrait was perfect (I do prefer the sculpted tutu though. As much as I usually love mixed media, it isn't GG to me.) So, if GG wanted to revise or update it in any way . . . Will Harbottle works for Sideshow now. They probably had to have someone else re-sculpt the face because they couldn't bring him back onboard.
I prefer the new face sculpt

Will Harbottle leaving Gentle Giant, has this influenced the decision to alter the face sculpt?

I understand the 'corners being cut' logic with regards to the dirt. The fact remains, none of the other 4 had dirt on them. Since Fireball is the only one in the line with the soles of her feet on show, they could add some dirt in this area.

Given the price this line sells for ($599 - $669), not to mention there being no base design, other than clear acrylic, they seem $200 more than what SideShow sell 1/4 for. That said, the Gentle Giant paint app is excellent. I would imagine Fireball will be the same quality as Derby.

I can't wait for Fireball to go up for sale

Some months ago GG had Lucky on sale for a reduced price. I missed out. I'm sure there will be another sale.

Prices for used Gentle Giant 1/4 statues appears to alter. Some hold their value (Derby). Some crash in price (Maggie, Iron man). Some go sky-high (Black Widow, Whisper red variant, Sucker Punch Baby Doll).
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote