Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-29-2019, 08:40 PM   #2641
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Now that I'm thinking of the legend again,

How exactly wasn't the Night King easily dispatched when he was just created? He couldn't have had many minions at that point.

If he was so valuable, why would he ever put himself in danger? He should have been the General always waiting at the rear.

How could Azor Ahai have 'beaten them back', if killing the Night King wasn't part of that effort?

How DIDN'T the Night King succeed thousands of years ago, when the Long Night lasted a generation? 20-30 years? This current version swept southward in a few days. Surely, even a smaller (but still mostly unbeatable dead army) would have succeeded given that amount of time? Children of the Forest and their magic involved in repelling them, I guess?

Regarding last episode, it wasn't clear to me whether those wights killed with dragonglass (or Valyrian steel, I guess) could be revived with the raising of the Night King's arms? Was that a permanent death, like stabbing a zombie in the brain? Were just newly killed Winterfell warriors raised?

And I'm sure his powers wouldn't extend this far, but that would be cool if the wight they brought to King's Landing to show Cersei, then subsequently stabbed with dragonglass, was then reanimated and crawled into Cersei's bed and strangled her.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:45 PM   #2642
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post

How DIDN'T the Night King succeed thousands of years ago, when the Long Night lasted a generation? 20-30 years? This current version swept southward in a few days. Surely, even a smaller (but still mostly unbeatable dead army) would have succeeded given that amount of time? Children of the Forest and their magic involved in repelling them, I guess?
bad rushed writing, there are some hints that the original long night didn't end in a battle but with a truce between men and the walkers, lots of folks even think they built the wall as part of the deal which makes a lot more sense when you think about it.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:05 PM   #2643
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Just watched it. Did not expect that ending.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:07 PM   #2644
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
Just watched it. Did not expect that ending.
well random illogical BS is pretty hard to expect
Old 04-29-2019, 10:08 PM   #2645
off
The X-Men

Fun episode. Exciting.
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:14 PM   #2646
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
bad rushed writing, there are some hints that the original long night didn't end in a battle but with a truce between men and the walkers, lots of folks even think they built the wall as part of the deal which makes a lot more sense when you think about it.
Why would the Walkers want a truce, or the Wall to be built?
Old 04-29-2019, 10:38 PM   #2647
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Why would the Walkers want a truce, or the Wall to be built?
because George has said many times he hates the evil for the sake of evil monster villain, so people interpret that as the Walkers have more to them then just being mindless zombies that want to kill just to kill.

if you get bored look up the history of the Night's King (different then the Nightking from the show). there's some interesting walker stuff there.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:49 PM   #2648
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
because George has said many times he hates the evil for the sake of evil monster villain, so people interpret that as the Walkers have more to them then just being mindless zombies that want to kill just to kill.

if you get bored look up the history of the Night's King (different then the Nightking from the show). there's some interesting walker stuff there.
I have read about him before, and the Queen he took, etc. As you say, it's different, so I didn't think it applied. Certainly the show doesn't portray the Walkers as mindless, but neither do they seem to want anything other than death.

More stuff lost in translation from Martin --> B&W, no doubt.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:52 PM   #2649
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Neither have I. Not a big book reader, but I may just pick up this series to get some detail I hope is coming (should GRRM not croak).
I am considering the same. If GRRM actually finishes the books that is. I really wanted the Night King and the White Walkers to be far more compelling than what they gave us last night. In fact, compelling isn't a word I would ever use to describe their show counterparts now. All I can hope for now is for Martin to deliver in literature form.

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes. Spot on (whole thing, not just bolded)! Get out of my head!
Hah! I am just sorry you feel the same. That just means your disappointment is pretty epic.

Quote:
Back to my bullet points...

-Why the hell wasn't part of the strategy to target at least a few White Walkers to remove all the wights they 'turned', thereby much more quickly and easily diminishing the army of the dead? Maybe some of those carrying Valyrian steel that I mentioned? Jon could have provided some intel on that. But no, we had(?) to wrap this up in 6.

Also, was rereading White Walker history/legend and Azor Ahai again, and THAT'S the story I'm sure many of us expected here. A generation's long night, White Walkers sweeping southward, conquering Westeros and nearly making it to Essos, before the savior Azor Ahai pushes them back and the Wall is constructed. Here we got a one-night battle.
Some more good points.

Quote:
Total dick move, but I guess those bastards have succeeded in making me anticipate the prequel series which just so happens to focus on this time period.
I dunno. I may feel the opposite. Knowing their quick and not-so legendary demise will always affect how I perceive them, no matter how badass they may be portrayed in the past.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:55 PM   #2650
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
I have read about him before, and the Queen he took, etc. As you say, it's different, so I didn't think it applied. Certainly the show doesn't portray the Walkers as mindless, but neither do they seem to want anything other than death.

More stuff lost in translation from Martin --> B&W, no doubt.
the simple fact that the Nightking smiled when the flames didn't do anything proves he's got some sort of personality, not to mention Crastor had a pact with them in exchange for his sons so they are intelligent enough to be reasoned with.