Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-21-2015, 05:45 AM   #1
Haruffin
Frackin!

Question Sideshow's European customers: where to buy, and dealing with QC issues?

How do the European members buy their Sideshow statues now that there's no EU warehouse? Do you import yourself directly from SSC, or a US retailer? Are there EU retailers who consistently get stock from SSC wholesale? Or do you rely on flippers on eBay?

On a related note, I'm considering getting my second SSC statue, and my main concern is how to deal with potential quality issues, such as broken pieces. When buying directly from SSC, what happens if I need to return the statue for whatever reason, do I lose the shipping, VAT and duties if I do? They add to well over 100 EUR on a PF, so that would be rather large risk to take on, given the QC issues I've seen recently.

With EU retailers and eBaying from EU flippers, you should be ok on returns. But when buying from them and it's a minor issue, does SSC sell pieces to replace broken pieces, or only to verified buyers?

It's been a few years since this has been raised on the forum based on my forum searches, so maybe time to revisit the topic.
Haruffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:03 AM   #2
Hunterkingxxl
Luke Cage

Hey dude, you're from The Netherlands too. Only buy statues directly from Sideshow if you feel you need the EXCLUSIVE version of it. Otherwise, just buy from local shops like Gator, Galaxyshop, Twilightzone or others. You can return your broken or defect products to them and don't have to deal with Sideshow.

Now if you do get Exclusive pieces from Sideshow and the F^$& up, which happens a lot, you have to deal with their customer service and be persistent in what you want. I.E. a refund or replacement. You don't have to send the statue back to America, but you have to provide pictures of you destroying the statue.

Keep in mind that you will NEVER get a refund for the import and VAT fees from Sideshow. So if you finally have to decide to get a refund for you statue, you will still have lost roughly 1/4th of the price on import and VAT fees. This happened to me with the Queen of the Dead piece, which came in broken 5 times.
Hunterkingxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:23 AM   #3
Haruffin
Frackin!

I figured that SSC wouldn't refund import and VAT, but maybe the authorities would in case of a return. That was a weak joke, knowing Dutch (well, European) tax authorities :P Even if they did, I imagine the paperwork would be epic.

Taking a quick look at Gator, they're selling the upcoming Batgirl at 419 EUR, and imported by myself from SSC it would be 532 EUR (SSC website estimate for the non-exclusive). That's well over 100 EUR premium, and much higher risk if things go sideways with QC or shipping as you warned. Given what you said about returns, it's a no-brainer to buy locally!

Curiously, the EX is estimated at "only" 480 EUR, so looks like SSC is undercutting their regular edition retailers sell with their exclusives. That's an interesting sales channel strategy I can't imagine retailers are too happy about. But I digress.

I'm not a flipper or a hardcore collector (at least not yet), and would only get an exclusive if it's something that I really wanted over the regular - especially with the potential issues with QC returns mentioned. Five broken statues?!

Thank you!
Haruffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #4
Hunterkingxxl
Luke Cage

SS estimates are not always spot on and the EX being cheaper isn't realistic. Keep in mind you will pay an arm and a leg for import and VAT fees. Value of the original statue dictates how much will be charged. Last imported statue cost me €102 on top of the sales and shipping from Sideshow.

Next to that, Sideshow is making a mess of their QC and are not very keen on really helping you out when it comes to broken or defect products. For me, that makes it easy to switch companies or wait for releases to check them out at the local shop.

I'm now bleeding my SS pre-orders and my last statues will be Daredevil en Hulk EX. I will have some reward point then and will use those on my last SS PO for a looong time. At least untill they get their QC back up and their ES down.

Check out the local shops in The Netherlands and Belgium. They vary hugely in price and customer service level! Pick one you feel good with and haggle before you buy. You will always knock of some €.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:51 AM   #5
HITReza
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Do you guys know a german shop that has good service -> that takes back broken statues?

That would be very helpful, thank you!
HITReza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:36 AM   #6
Marcel54
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITReza View Post
Do you guys know a german shop that has good service -> that takes back broken statues?

I had some good dealings with this shop: http://www.comic-statuen.de/
Marcel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:56 AM   #7
Ravagor
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel54 View Post
I had some good dealings with this shop: http://www.comic-statuen.de/
+1
Ravagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:33 AM   #8
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITReza View Post

Also, space-figuren, dealt with them once and they're pretty awesome.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:54 AM   #9
Hunterkingxxl
Luke Cage

I really like Kingpayer.de too. Good service and prices.