Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #311
gomur
The Tick

I agree with everyone's pricing concern. Some have used "details" to argue rising statue costs - which I always took as phooey that texturing and tech lines could justify a $50+ price hike. The DC Animated 'verse isn't one where that argument holds any water. Compared to highly detailed 1/5 pieces like She-ra and Skeletor should put Bats in the $300 range.

I won't buy in but I do admire the cautious optimism some have to see other JL or BTAS members realized. My bet is this ends with the Trinity and goes no farther as it's priced out from the jump.

Pricing aside, anyone else concerned about leaning over time? Seriously, why couldn't that left leg have been planted on the base for added support. The Bruce Timm upper body would have to be hollowed quite a bit.

gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #312
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Pricing aside, anyone else concerned about leaning over time? Seriously, why couldn't that left leg have been planted on the base for added support. The Bruce Timm upper body would have to be hollowed quite a bit.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Batman and Superman look like they'll develop leaning issues over time.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #313
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Not sure why you guys feel these are so overpriced? The closest product to draw a comparison with would be the larger scale Animated Maquettes WB put out at least a decade ago. They were around 1:5/1:6 scale, had very basic bases and cost around $300. Given how much production and licensing costs have risen in that time these seem in line with the current market.
Are you talking about the WB Store animated maquettes? They were $150 retail in the store.

generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #314
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

$150 for all of those, not each. Yes?
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:59 PM   #315
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
Old 09-26-2018, 05:01 PM   #316
generalzodlives

Quote:
They were $150 each except for Robin who was $125. They were only sold in the WB Stores back in the late 90's.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #317
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalzodlives View Post
They were $150 each except for Robin who was $125. They were only sold in the WB Stores back in the late 90's.
Damn, you scored! They weren’t that cheap in the WB store here until they hit clearance around the time they closed up shop.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #318
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
I'm failing to see how those are a good value at $150 each vs a lot of the new SS statue prices people are having an issue with.

We've all got out opinions, things we feel are worth it or not, etc. And I guess I'm really not sure why I allow myself to get pulled into discussions like this from time to time because I really just don't care lol. Everybody should just do what they do and not concern themselves with the opinions of everybody else.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:08 PM   #319
generalzodlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Damn, you scored! They weren’t that cheap in the WB store here until they hit clearance around the time they closed up shop.
I had the employees at the WB Store hold one back for me every time they were released. The retail price was always $150, unless your store was jacking up the price for some reason. I'd have to get the boxes out of storage to take a pic of the price sticker, but they shouldn't have been charging more than $150.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #320
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
I'm failing to see how those are a good value at $150 each vs a lot of the new SS statue prices people are having an issue with.
I didn't claim that $150/maquette was a good deal, but for you to think that the entire set only costs $150 was ludicrous.

At any rate, many of DC's 1/7- and 1/8-scale statues had MSRPs between $150 and $200 during the late 1990s and early 2000s. However, MSRPs started dropping or have stayed the same for many years since 2008. Taking inflation into account, DC's statues have gotten cheaper while other companies have raised prices faster than inflation.