Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics > Home Repair

Old 04-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

First Home issue

First home Issue

Well 2 weeks ago i wanted to replace the AC unit in the studio. its a typical wall unit you can buy from home depot or sears. The one in there was from the 1970s, so i purchased a new LG one from home depot.

When i went to put it in, the metal case wasnt long enough. So since i had my brother and father with me, we decided to pull out that metal case and order a new one then install it all the following weekend.

As we pulled out the metal case, a shingle from the side of the house fell down, Then another and another, The whole plywood on the side of the house was rotted out. It came down like dust and we could see the beams and installation. It was a mess.

So at my office where i work they guy who rents the building is a AC/Heaitng guy, so asked him if he knew anyone that could help. $350 later i got a new side of the house, shingles and a new AC wall unit professionally installed. The house has aspestos shingles so since they are not made anymore i had to get cement wall shingles that matched and they are friggin $8 each.

Turns out the old unit was never flash and when ever it rained it just went into the plywood instead of going on the tar paper/shingles.

Man you just never know whats going on in your homes walls. Never would have known this was a issue or to check it when i went to purchase the house. Live and learn.

So first experience with a mess and issue with being a new home owner.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

I'm calling the NJ DEP on you for illegal Asbestos abatement and disposal
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

You DID get a thorough home inspection right, John?

I remember with my first house (and only, not counting the cabin) I bought, one of the doors had a mirror over it on one side, and an ornamental emblem on the other... covering a huge hole the builders had made in the door, ironically near the doorknob.

I guess simply buying/installing another (garage/later renovated by me man-cave) door was too much work for them.

Expect more surprises as time goes on, bro.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
I'm calling the NJ DEP on you for illegal Asbestos abatement and disposal
ROFL

next time i see you, im gonna throw those shingles in your trunk!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
You DID get a thorough home inspection right, John?
Oh ya, i checked it in and out, also had my brother and father look over the house as well. Just would never had known that wall was rotted out unless i pushed on it or we took out the case.

Thing is there was no mildew smell in the house or water coming in, so was no signs of water issues.

But for the price of a sideshow statue i got it all repaired and i watched the guy do it. So now i know how to do it myself if i need to.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
ROFL

next time i see you, im gonna throw those shingles in your trunk!
... or you could give Drew ... Shingles.

It had to be said.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Oh ya, i checked it in and out, also had my brother and father look over the house as well. Just would never had known that wall was rotted out unless i pushed on it or we took out the case.

Thing is there was no mildew smell in the house or water coming in, so was no signs of water issues.

But for the price of a sideshow statue i got it all repaired and i watched the guy do it. So now i know how to do it myself if i need to.
Yeah.. mildew = BIG BUCKS being dished out.. that's a big deal in the Northwest.
Our house was only a couple of years old when I bought it, so thankfully we dodged that bullet.
Glad to hear it was easily remedied; having people you trust doing the work like you did never hurts.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

I am also having two Fijistu AC units installed in front of the house as well. I was gonna get central air but the house is to small and no room in the attic for duct work.

So im getting those wall units, they are actually better then duct work since i wont be cooling the whole house just the rooms i am ina that time.

They will be done today with that. Then i just need to worry about outside lawn crap down the line. Just wanted the inside to be done before summer.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
fenix v.2.0
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
First home Issue

Well 2 weeks ago i wanted to replace the AC unit in the studio. its a typical wall unit you can buy from home depot or sears. The one in there was from the 1970s, so i purchased a new LG one from home depot.

When i went to put it in, the metal case wasnt long enough. So since i had my brother and father with me, we decided to pull out that metal case and order a new one then install it all the following weekend.

As we pulled out the metal case, a shingle from the side of the house fell down, Then another and another, The whole plywood on the side of the house was rotted out. It came down like dust and we could see the beams and installation. It was a mess.

So at my office where i work they guy who rents the building is a AC/Heaitng guy, so asked him if he knew anyone that could help. $350 later i got a new side of the house, shingles and a new AC wall unit professionally installed. The house has aspestos shingles so since they are not made anymore i had to get cement wall shingles that matched and they are friggin $8 each.

Turns out the old unit was never flash and when ever it rained it just went into the plywood instead of going on the tar paper/shingles.

Man you just never know whats going on in your homes walls. Never would have known this was a issue or to check it when i went to purchase the house. Live and learn.

So first experience with a mess and issue with being a new home owner.
that sucks. i had the same issue about not knowing what goes on behind walls.

I was about to start working on our nursery by patching up some drywall when i noticed some of the studs was dust. i started to tear down more of the drywall until i noticed it was all damaged by termites. luckily we had fumigated the whole house before we moved in. i tore it all down and rebuilt it within a day.

fenix v.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

wow thats crazy

I didnt have a termite inspection cause it would have been $500, but the regular inspection guys cut me a deal since i used them from my realistate agent for a $30 extra fee to check for termites.So i dont have any which is good. Just have to be carefull since im close to the bay with black mold or water dmg over time.