Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #331
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I actually enjoyed the film myself. While it's no Prometheus I found it to be a decent continuation and a suspenseful Sci-Fi/Horror film in its own right. Is it the direction I wanted to see the franchise go? Not really, but there was still lots to enjoy. I'm hoping the next chapter is a bit more thought provoking and a little less formulaic.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:03 PM   #332
Vracula
Jedi Order

I am in love with the narrative that Ridley Scott has chosen to go with. Very excited for whats next.

Hellboy I doubt he is going to more thought provoking , the larger audience want more blood splatter.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #333
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson83 View Post
I give it a 7/10. Creature designs were great, and I could see the plot twist at the end coming.
The ending was definitely not a surprise for me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
The action was nice and a fair amount of gore...some of the deaths...yikes. CGI wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. Weak to solid 7/10.
Still unsure how I feel about the creature f/x. The CG on it was convincing at times, then on other scenes, a little too CG with its speedy movement, especially the formation of the chest burster.

I also think we shouldn't have seen as much of the xeno as we did. Part of what makes ALIEN and ALIENS scary is the lack of screentime and it's lurking in the shadows.

Scare factor was mediocre to fair at best with both aliens. Gore factor was a solid B+
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #334
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
I am in love with the narrative that Ridley Scott has chosen to go with. Very excited for whats next.

Hellboy I doubt he is going to more thought provoking , the larger audience want more blood splatter.
You're probably right. Prometheus was a high point for me. I loved the mystery & exploration aspects of it. I'd just like to see a bit more of that intertwined with the blood & guts in future installments. Covenant had those traits but it's originality was a bit lacking so it felt a little watered down by comparison.

Going forward I think it would be refreshing to see a group of characters enter into this world with some foresight rather than being another group/crew of unsuspecting victims. That was one of the things that made Aliens so great. They went it prepared, overconfident, but prepared. If news of David's actions were to somehow get back to Earth I'd love to see a team sent after him to bring back or eliminate the Xenomorph and/or rescue the colonists now under his care.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #335
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I don't like Prometheus... It started with very important, foundamental questions. Who created us ? Is there god ? and if you just watched the first 20 min or something, you would think, you watch something deep but then the film turned into stoner scientest turning into super strong zombie and killing people and blood and gore... bah... but what's really really stupid was the engineer spaceship which was controled with a damn flute.... are you kidding me ?...

Covenant having a connection to that dumb piece of crap is totally a minus but it had Alien at least... I always believed such a cool, unique design deserves a good treatmant. That's why i'm interested with Alien films and covenant was decent. Not the best Alien film but decent. There was no scene of engineer spaceship cotrolled by a flute so that was definetly a plus... They were clever enough to explain the plants which were spreading flying smart seeds that made people give birth to poor guy's aliens lol Unlike the alien which was created by a squide which face huged to an engeener... in Prometheus. WTF was that ? that was not a face huger, that was a damn squide... how come a damn squide make living creatures give birth to aliens ? they didn't explain that in The Prometheus. It was totaly not inline with The Alien Mythos... damn squides don't impregnate living creatures with Aliens, Face hugers does ! WTF are you people on.

Covenant was decent for sure unlike Prometheus crap.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:42 PM   #336
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
You're probably right. Prometheus was a high point for me. I loved the mystery & exploration aspects of it. I'd just like to see a bit more of that intertwined with the blood & guts in future installments. Covenant had those traits but it's originality was a bit lacking so it felt a little watered down by comparison.

Going forward I think it would be refreshing to see a group of characters enter into this world with some foresight rather than being another group/crew of unsuspecting victims. That was one of the things that made Aliens so great. They went it prepared, overconfident, but prepared. If news of David's actions were to somehow get back to Earth I'd love to see a team sent after him to bring back or eliminate the Xenomorph and/or rescue the colonists now under his care.
I loved Prometheus as well...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:46 AM   #337
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:

Agreed on all points. I enjoyed Covenant but would definitely prefer if the next installment were more like Prometheus (big fan of that film) and if the characters are more aware of what they might be facing.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:38 AM   #338
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Yes that would be cool. The colonists are alien incubators, I think they are beyond saving.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #339
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
This looks like every other Alien movie. Not excited.
Saw it last night with my son and, unfortunately, we both were disappointed. Just too formulaic and predictable. A rental, at best. I'll remain happy with my Blu Rays of the first two films.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #340
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Once again I find myself scratching my head over the hate on display here. I thoroughly enjoyed the film. A good mix of Alien and Prometheus. Whatever though, my opinions aren't going to change any minds so I'll just leave it at that. Like everything that's subjective in life, reserve judgement for yourself and don't let the hype or hate train influence you.

Alien: Covenant - 8.5/10
A different opinion isn't necessarily "hate." It's just a different and equally legitimate opinion.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote