Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 07-01-2018, 05:30 PM   #21
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Pliable is one thing. Check out what can happen to PVC. Only the arms were made of PVC (the rest was resin/porcelain). Only the arms got damaged due to heat.

For sure factories don't have as much experience with matching similar paints used for polystone to PVC.

Comparing the best implementation of each product though gives PVC a superior edge.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #22
built2shred
Phoenix

It comes down to preference, some collectors don't care, some prefer PVC some prefer Polystone…

Personally I prefer Polystone, some people insist you can't tell the difference but in person I've always been able to tell...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #23
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Pliable is one thing. Check out what can happen to PVC. Only the arms were made of PVC (the rest was resin/porcelain). Only the arms got damaged due to heat.

Thats cheap pvc

PVC can be cast in many varying qualities. These days, to keep prices low, most are cast as cheap quality or even 'reground' which means its recycled plastic and that is even more susceptible to warping and cracking.

But back in the 90s/early 2000s I never willingly used reground or cheap PVC. Though sometimes a factory would trick me and use it to save themselves some money.

Yamato is the only company Im aware of that seems to still use very high quality PVC for statues. Almost all of the anime pvc statues i see are using cheap plastic.

Imagine a pvc statue with the look/quality of a Hot Toys figure. Thats what PVC can do when used properly and its way more realistic than any polystone statue ever made.
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #24
L Deimos
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaSight View Post
Thats cheap pvc

PVC can be cast in many varying qualities. These days, to keep prices low, most are cast as cheap quality or even 'reground' which means its recycled plastic and that is even more susceptible to warping and cracking.

But back in the 90s/early 2000s I never willingly used reground or cheap PVC. Though sometimes a factory would trick me and use it to save themselves some money.

Yamato is the only company Im aware of that seems to still use very high quality PVC for statues. Almost all of the anime pvc statues i see are using cheap plastic.

Imagine a pvc statue with the look/quality of a Hot Toys figure. Thats what PVC can do when used properly and its way more realistic than any polystone statue ever made.
Actually, it seems to me that Yamato actually uses lower quality pvc compared to other companies. I've seen there statues suffer from leaning issues plently of times. Particularly with their fantasy lines. Kotobukiya for example uses High quality for their bishoujo lines, which is why we don't hear of paint or leaning issues. Banpresto also uses High quality pvc for their One Piece and Dragonball statues.
L Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #25
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Deimos View Post
Kotobukiya for example uses High quality for their bishoujo lines, which is why we don't hear of paint or leaning issues.
Not true.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=163636

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:10 PM   #26
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Deimos View Post
Actually, it seems to me that Yamato actually uses lower quality pvc compared to other companies. I've seen there statues suffer from leaning issues plently of times. Particularly with their fantasy lines. Kotobukiya for example uses High quality for their bishoujo lines, which is why we don't hear of paint or leaning issues. Banpresto also uses High quality pvc for their One Piece and Dragonball statues.
I havent bought a Yamato in several years so maybe its changed. Its also possible factories are duping them, which happens a lot. Just because a manufacture pays for high quality doesnt mean the factory uses high quality. Theres no way for the manufacturer to tell until problems start arising.

I do have some Kotobukiya that appears to be high quality and some that arent.
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:58 AM   #27
L Deimos
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaSight View Post
I havent bought a Yamato in several years so maybe its changed. Its also possible factories are duping them, which happens a lot. Just because a manufacture pays for high quality doesnt mean the factory uses high quality. Theres no way for the manufacturer to tell until problems start arising.

I do have some Kotobukiya that appears to be high quality and some that arent.
Most of the pieces that has issues seem to be older pieces. Kotobukiya Seems to substantially improved their PVC from the old days. Hence, most of this issues with the lines are all older pieces. Yamato never had good materials from the start though. Even their resin is kinda cheap. Yamato seems to cheap out a lot with their statues, unless something changed since I was collecting them. I hope they are producing better products, because some of there older pieces were really poorly done.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:27 AM   #28
richardandtracy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Not sure how old my 'A Touch of Ice' is, but it's the first edition one and is very good quality. If photobucket is behaving, this link below should work:

Regards,

Richard
richardandtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #29
L Deimos
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardandtracy View Post
Not sure how old my 'A Touch of Ice' is, but it's the first edition one and is very good quality. If photobucket is behaving, this link below should work:

Regards,

Richard
Ones that are well balanced seem to be ok if they don't have removable pieces, but pieces like the black Tinkerbell piece has real bad balance issues. At least their older PVC pieces use a very soft material which was more prone to warping and paint transfer/damage. Compare the PVC quality to a recent bishoujo for example. You will notice a difference just by touching them.