Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 04-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #21
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
People complained when there was no communication, then complain when there is. SMH

Although I will say P1 has teased a lot and only PO'd what, 3?
I'm not complaining about the communication...there's just been a million previews/teases when all we really ever see go on order are Arkham products in 1:3 scale
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #22
built2shred
Phoenix

It's funny how people base a comic book on their outfits instead of the story inside

I could careless about the outfits, just give me good stories !!!!
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #23
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
It's funny how people base a comic book on their outfits instead of the story inside

Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:13 PM   #24
Valkyrie
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:

I totally agree about good stories being important but with comics, the art design is also part of the experience.

If I don't like the look of the characters or the artwork, I'm probably not going to enjoy the book as much even if the writing is stellar. That's just me.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:03 PM   #25
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:

its an easier way to identify a particular era in comics I think, at least for me. new52 got a lot of hate, I think mostly because it pushed fans out of their comfort zone - but as I was only buying batman it was great for me. picking up justice league in trades, its a little spotty but overall enjoyable
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #26
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
I totally agree about good stories being important but with comics, the art design is also part of the experience.

If I don't like the look of the characters or the artwork, I'm probably not going to enjoy the book as much even if the writing is stellar. That's just me.
You make a good point, but you have to think of all the great and iconic stories that just had "average" art behind it. Morrison JLA run comes to mind right away. One of my favorite runs.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #27
Valkyrie
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
You make a good point, but you have to think of all the great and iconic stories that just had "average" art behind it. Morrison JLA run comes to mind right away. One of my favorite runs.
Oh don't get me wrong. There's definitely many examples out there where the writing was able to make a book succeed even with "average" artwork. My comment was mainly targeted at the costume redesigns.

I think SONICobra nailed what I was trying to say in his post. It's just a comfort zone thing for longtime fans. If these iconic characters look and feel unfamiliar to me, I just might not be as engaged in the story as I could be. It's just a bit distracting, I suppose.

I can respect DC and Marvel trying to keep things fresh, but some part of me says "don't fix what's not broken".
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:26 AM   #28
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
Oh don't get me wrong. There's definitely many examples out there where the writing was able to make a book succeed even with "average" artwork. My comment was mainly targeted at the costume redesigns.

I think SONICobra nailed what I was trying to say in his post. It's just a comfort zone thing for longtime fans. If these iconic characters look and feel unfamiliar to me, I just might not be as engaged in the story as I could be. It's just a bit distracting, I suppose.

I can respect DC and Marvel trying to keep things fresh, but some part of me says "don't fix what's not broken".
Your right. It makes sense too. I'm not a fan of new52 Superman, and Wolverine marvel now costume designs. So I can understand collectors not biting on certain renditions.
However, despite my distaste for unpleasant designs, certain artists can and have helped me look past them. I know you weren't saying that an artist can't make a bad design tolerable, I am just putting my opinion out there.
It's a good topic and I am sure we can go on all day about statues we passed on because of it. With Prime 1, I feel they are starting out with new 52 simply because other companies have done the "mainstream" characters in the era/costumes we love. By mainstream, I refer to characters like Superman, Hulk, Batman etc. Considering no Mr Freeze, Sinister, Trigon, etc have been done 1/4- as far as I know So the New 52 is a fresh take for a new company, going down a path not yet traveled.
Now look though. P1 has already revealed a Scarecrow, Mr Freeze, and who knows what else is to come. These are characters i have been waiting for and P1 is whipping them out like a boss. I also do believe that by them doing a Frank Miller Bats, they are not opposed to the idea of another version of Flash or Superman or whoever. Its exciting as hell.
I'm pumped and can't wait to get a P1 piece in hand already.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:30 PM   #29
COI

Quote:

Comics are as much a visual medium as they are a story-telling medium. I got into comics as a kid for the art more than the stories, and the art is why I collect statues now. So it's natural for myself and others like me to be connected to the visual representation of characters we grew up with.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:18 AM   #30
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Comics are as much a visual medium as they are a story-telling medium. I got into comics as a kid for the art more than the stories, and the art is why I collect statues now. So it's natural for myself and others like me to be connected to the visual representation of characters we grew up with.
With a few exceptions the changes were pretty minor on their costumes... But I do get what your saying... I guess it's a big jarring when you've used to seeing the same costume for the last 30+ years...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote