Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #121
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougrcrumby View Post
I have 40 long boxes of comics from being a 10 year old on up. I only have a few rare books of thanos even appearing in. For me he doesn't even break the top 20 of marvel villains. Growing up it was all about spiders rogues and the xmens villains. Doc Doom and Ultron. Thanos is ok but think back 15 years....did anyone really even know who he was? Well, maybe I was living under a rock and just plain missed the greatness that is Thanos. Anyone have any recommended reading material for me to support your case? I do have the infinity gauntlet series. A statue is going to have to be pretty bad ass if I'm going to buy another thanos statue that is better than my Bowen one. I collect 1/6th and 1/4th and no one is going to be able to convince me that all 1/4ths are better that all 1/6ths

Have you read The Thanos Quest?

The infinity series, especially the Gauntlet, is when I fell in love with the character. He was also great in the Annihilation books. The End was OK too but I didn't like it as much as the others.

There have been a lot of great Thanos statues but the second Bowen bust is the one that captured him best for me.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #122
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

They are rare compared to other characters but there are quite a few good Thanos stories.

If you want some recent stuff pick up the recent trilogy
Thanos: Infinity Revelation
Thanos: Infinity Relativity
Thanos: Infinity Finale

Written by Starlin himself and it's Thanos in all his glory. A seriously savage foe but deeply philosophical.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #123
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougrcrumby View Post
I have 40 long boxes of comics from being a 10 year old on up. I only have a few rare books of thanos even appearing in. For me he doesn't even break the top 20 of marvel villains. Growing up it was all about spiders rogues and the xmens villains. Doc Doom and Ultron. Thanos is ok but think back 15 years....did anyone really even know who he was? Well, maybe I was living under a rock and just plain missed the greatness that is Thanos. Anyone have any recommended reading material for me to support your case? I do have the infinity gauntlet series. A statue is going to have to be pretty bad ass if I'm going to buy another thanos statue that is better than my Bowen one. I collect 1/6th and 1/4th and no one is going to be able to convince me that all 1/4ths are better that all 1/6ths
You missed some good stories. Try to find a copy of Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel, either hardcopy or digital. Great story. Thanos is not in it much though.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #124
Cougrcrumby
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Ok. Awesome. Infinity revelation, relativity, and finale, annihilation books. captain marvel graphic...I have. I'm gong to have to break that one out again .. As well as the gauntlet. Also need to pick up the thanos quest. Ok , thanks guys I'm going to see what I've been missing.
Cougrcrumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #125
COI

It is true that no one cared about Thanos for the longest time. His first appearance (Iron Man 55) was undervalued for years, and he was largely irrelevant throughout the rest of the 1970s and 1980s other than the Starlin Captain Marvel stuff.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #126
MrJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
It is true that no one cared about Thanos for the longest time. His first appearance (Iron Man 55) was undervalued for years, and he was largely irrelevant throughout the rest of the 1970s and 1980s other than the Starlin Captain Marvel stuff.
I've been trying to snag a decently graded Iron Man 55 for my shrine and.. well they certainly aren't undervalued anymore...
Old 04-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #127
adee
Green Arrow

I've eyed Iron Man 55 for years too and never pulled the trigger. Maybe someday.

I think becoming the enemy of the Silver Surfer may have been when the character really started to catch on.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #128
SONICobra
Bane

all this thanos talk made me finally break down and pick up the infinity gauntlet omnibus. its been on my wish list for a while and was pretty nicely priced on amazon from cheapgraphicnovels.com
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #129
MrJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
all this thanos talk made me finally break down and pick up the infinity gauntlet omnibus. its been on my wish list for a while and was pretty nicely priced on amazon from cheapgraphicnovels.com
That is an incredible omnibus. Really shows the whole story from beginning to end. Enjoy!
Old 04-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #130
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I've eyed Iron Man 55 for years too and never pulled the trigger. Maybe someday.

I think becoming the enemy of the Silver Surfer may have been when the character really started to catch on.
That was my first introduction to him.