Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-23-2017, 01:05 AM   #11
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by whd View Post
It's been a while since I read the book, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the scenes were lifted straight from the story. Then there was last night's episode, which featured Laura Moon's life and the specific events that led to her reunion with Shadow. I believe that, aside from a few key story points, most of that was an expansion on a few pages of the novel. I've been really enjoying the series and was excited to read that it's renewed for a second season.
The first season will take up a third of the book & there is a new character created specifically for the show.

Gotta say that the opening titles & theme music are right up there with GoT for me. Very Fincher/ trent Reznor

Was looking at the wiki page after I watched the 3 episodes & straight away they revealed something that I wish I hadn't known, but looking back was so obvious;
Spoiler
Wednesday is Odin. All the clues are there, in old English Odin is Woden & of course, Wednesday is named after him, he has a glass eye & in many publicity photos he has a crow on his shoulder
Gotta say, Mr Jackal/Anubis is a great character & casting too. He has such presence
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #12
Davidian
Omega Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
The first season will take up a third of the book & there is a new character created specifically for the show.

Gotta say that the opening titles & theme music are right up there with GoT for me. Very Fincher/ trent Reznor

Was looking at the wiki page after I watched the 3 episodes & straight away they revealed something that I wish I hadn't known, but looking back was so obvious;
Spoiler
Wednesday is Odin. All the clues are there, in old English hish nan is Woden & of course, Wednesday is named after him, he has a glass eye & in many publicity photos he has a crow on his shoulder
Gotta say, Mr Jackal/Anubis is a great character & casting too. He has such presence
Actually, that makes MUCH more sense now. The wife and I just watched the first episode last night and were trying to figure out who/what Wednesday is - we were thinking Death, but now that whole first sequence in the beginning of the episode make so much more sense.
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:13 PM   #13
joy_division

Hindsight is a wonderful thing
Old 05-29-2017, 08:29 PM   #14
joy_division

Best episode yet

Laura taking a bath (love the stitches make up), & her scene with Mad Sweeney, Crispin Glover's debut & Gillian Anderson as David Bowie
Old 05-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #15
Dirt Torpedo
The Thunderbolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
Best episode yet

Laura taking a bath (love the stitches make up), & her scene with Mad Sweeney, Crispin Glover's debut & Gillian Anderson as David Bowie
I actually thought the opposite. Found it a boring episode, dragged on with nothing added to the storyline. Laura is grinding on me. Everytime time she says "puppy" I cringe.

Nice to see Crispin Glover though.
Dirt Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #16
Davidian
Omega Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Torpedo View Post
I actually thought the opposite. Found it a boring episode, dragged on with nothing added to the storyline. Laura is grinding on me. Everytime time she says "puppy" I cringe.

I kinda thought the same. I did dig Gillian looking David Bowie-esque, but I did find this episode a tad boring. Laura should have stayed dead, but we'll see where they take this.

Crispin was awesome - probably the only character that resonated with me in this episode.
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #17
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Torpedo View Post

With you on this one. I found the episode a little boring too. Lauren is getting on my nerves. She's not a terribly good actress her arc is a bit irritating. Gillian's Bowie was semi off-putting as was the other character she played. I did enjoy seeing Glover. Now, lets pick up the ole pace & get somewhere.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #18
Demona
Martian Manhunter

So you're saying I should start watching this show? Noted!
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:44 PM   #19
Gruson
Suicide Squad

I don't get it. Tried the first episode and thought it was just really bad. Pass.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:37 AM   #20
joy_division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
I don't get it. Tried the first episode and thought it was just really bad. Pass.
I don't think you can judge it on just one episode.

For one, it was the start of the show so things will be slow & introduce everyone. I also watched the 1st 3 episeds back-to-back so that helped
But to each their own