Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 10-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #1
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Alamo City Comic Con - San Antonio, TX

My husband and I are going for the first time this year. I had no idea it was so much bigger than Austin Wizard World. I'm hoping that equates to better, but we'll see.

I'm hoping to get some more comics and statues from this one. And of course commissions!
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

The guest list looks insane. Entire cast of Stranger Things, Peter Weller, Amy Jo Johnson, Mallrats, Charlie Cox, Bernthal.

Damn.. maybe I'll go next year.
candyrocket786 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
UnicornPegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
The guest list looks insane. Entire cast of Stranger Things, Peter Weller, Amy Jo Johnson, Mallrats, Charlie Cox, Bernthal.

Damn.. maybe I'll go next year.
Yeah, I'm kind of blown away by the amount of guests they have. It's nuts off sure, but in a good way I hope.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:11 AM   #4
UnicornPegasus

Well, aside from a really, REALLY poorly run opening to the con, it was a blast. Way better than the one in Austin. I got three commissions from bigger name artists, 150 or so comics that we've been seeking for a while, some jewelry, and a broken Koto Supergirl I'll be customizing. Overall, very nice. Definitely going back next year.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

What was poor about it?
candyrocket786 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:57 AM   #6
UnicornPegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
What was poor about it?
There were no signs as to where the entrance of the con was actually being held within the conference center. There was also another con going on at the same time in another section of the convention center which didn't help the matter. So, a ton of people were looking all around to try and find the freaking lines, including us. We lost a good amount of time trying to find it. Then once you did locate the right section, they sent you back outside to line up in the sun (it's Texas, so that was not amusing). They had "Pre-sale" and "General Admission" lines being separated out there. Gen Ad was apparently the buy tickets on-site line which was far shorter than the pre-sale line, and they let them in before all the pre-sale folks. So, we didn't actually get to go into the con until well after the 11AM opening time since they got in before us. I asked one of the workers about it and they said it didn't matter because everyone was going in now. But that was not the point at all. So, the opening/beginning was quite frustrating.

The volunteers/workers also had no idea about anything. They gave conflicting info, didn't listen to the other workers (like when handing out the badges/wristbands) and didn't know how to answer crap. They kept asking everyone in line if they had "fastpass" tickets and no one in line knew what they were talking about, so I asked, and the guy asking us if we had them didn't know either. He tried to stumble through a pseudo answer, then trailed off as he walked away.

Parking (and driving in that city in general) were nightmarish. The address for the "better" parking garage was not compatible with GPS and also had no signs as to where the entrance was. SA seems averse to proper signage.

The ACCC site was also down for several days leading up to the con, so the map wasn't accessible for pre-planning routes to the artists I was interested in, so that added to my anger. Once we got past that, it was enjoyable, but my husband told me later that he was really sad and worried at first, that I wouldn't be able to get in to any of the artists I wanted since so many people got in before us, but I lucked out and got in to a few to them. I had backups on my list since half the artists I was interested in didn't feel like showing up for the first 1-2 hours too.