Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #11
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Honestly I'm surprised mark isn't more than 1k at this point. He's THAT big a deal now and he can command these rates. It's hard when you miss out on getting a piece from an artist before they hit it really big, but it happens to us all
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #12
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Got in right before the price raise!
Old 05-18-2017, 12:28 AM   #13
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

If I could be guaranteed a piece, I'd pay that price. It seems it's hard to get on his list.
Arcusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:03 AM   #14
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

It's hard to be surprised when an artist joins the 1k club nowdays. It seems to be the new norm...
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:27 AM   #15
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post
It's hard to be surprised when an artist joins the 1k club nowdays. It seems to be the new norm...

If I may chime in here... I paid more than 1k for a commission on numerous occasions, i.e., Bruce Timm (x2), Neal Adams, Steve Rude (x2), Joe Jusko, Simone Bianchi, Gennadiy Koufay, Kevin Nowlan... I think some people tend to inadvertently visually define the word "commission" as this lower-level dismissable passionless quality of work. While that may be the case some of the time, likely those done at conventions, some commissions can actually equal or even surpass the artist's published work. Whenever I see someone say, "I would never pay 1k for a commission" or "$400 is my max, not worth it otherwise, I'll just buy something published at that point", it risks coming off awfully shortsighted, as if to imply pricier commissions are a waste of time and can never be worth the money.

Speaking for myself, commissions may be the only way to get pieces I want in the quality I want. For example, a Bruce Timm Batgirl was never made available to me in the marketplace. It's not like there are a 100 pieces out there for me to choose from. I had to personally commission that piece in order to have one. The same can be said about a Jusko Hulk painting that I commissioned as well. These are, I think, really nice pieces which were well worth the cost, at least to me. I'm never going to be able to find full size painted or colored pieces by these proven artists at $400.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #16
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
If I may chime in here... I paid more than 1k for a commission on numerous occasions, i.e., Bruce Timm (x2), Neal Adams, Steve Rude (x2), Joe Jusko, Simone Bianchi, Gennadiy Koufay, Kevin Nowlan... I think some people tend to inadvertently visually define the word "commission" as this lower-level dismissable passionless quality of work. While that may be the case some of the time, likely those done at conventions, some commissions can actually equal or even surpass the artist's published work. Whenever I see someone say, "I would never pay 1k for a commission" or "$400 is my max, not worth it otherwise, I'll just buy something published at that point", it risks coming off awfully shortsighted, as if to imply pricier commissions are a waste of time and can never be worth the money.

Speaking for myself, commissions may be the only way to get pieces I want in the quality I want. For example, a Bruce Timm Batgirl was never made available to me in the marketplace. It's not like there are a 100 pieces out there for me to choose from. I had to personally commission that piece in order to have one. The same can be said about a Jusko Hulk painting that I commissioned as well. These are, I think, really nice pieces which were well worth the cost, at least to me. I'm never going to be able to find full size painted or colored pieces by these proven artists at $400.
For me, my main focus has always been OA. The number of commissions I have gotten not at a con, I can count on one hand. I enjoy seeing the artists work on pieces at a con in my sketchbook. Just can't justify spending pretty much my budget on one artist, regardless how great his work is.

And why in the world are you up at 330 in the morning?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #17
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:

Chiming in is what we do! This is really semantics at play IMO. The term commission has many different meanings and levels for everyone. In general, I think it means a pencil and/or pencil and ink piece done by an artist somewhere lower than their highest level commission option. Probably single character with limited bg. For better pieces you tend to hear “cover quality”, “at home”, or something that designates more time being invested in the piece. Personally, I would expect to pay up for a big name artist if they were committed to doing multiple figures/cover quality/full background that you would not likely get from a simple commission. I’d love to have such a piece from Lee Weeks (as example) and would pay for it as his cover quality pieces are extremely well done.

Paintings are more in line with the higher end category and probably an even higher category yet. They require a lot of time and could never be done at a show. When I look at your pieces it is obvious that you paid more than $1K for them. I would not even think of them as being in the “$1K club” as discussed here (if they were under $1K I would be lining all of the artists up to do them as well).

The price point discussion doesn’t really come up much when you are primarily a high end commissions and/or paintings collector. You play in this sandbox, you expect to spend at these levels and buy less often than a more traditional comic art collector. I love painted art but it doesn’t call out to me like pencil/ink pieces which is where my passion resides. This entire hobby (comics, art, statues, figures, etc.) all stems from reading comics as a kid and that, for me, was mostly about the art. I love the line work so the lion’s share of my budget will always go to published pages and pencil/ink commissions.

That said, I did buy a Chris Stevens painting a couple years ago and would love to add another painted piece at some point. Joe Jusko would be amazing. TNovak’s recent Ken Kelly thread had me thinking. It will happen eventually …

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #18
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
For me, my main focus has always been OA. The number of commissions I have gotten not at a con, I can count on one hand. I enjoy seeing the artists work on pieces at a con in my sketchbook. Just can't justify spending pretty much my budget on one artist, regardless how great his work is.

And why in the world are you up at 330 in the morning?

It's allergy season... I'm too busy chasing my running nose around the house. There are two weeks out of every year (one in May, the other in September) where sleeping a full night becomes a thing only other people can do... lol. Allergy meds help but there are days when nature comes off like the Hulk.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #19
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Chiming in is what we do! This is really semantics at play IMO. The term commission has many different meanings and levels for everyone. In general, I think it means a pencil and/or pencil and ink piece done by an artist somewhere lower than their highest level commission option. Probably single character with limited bg. For better pieces you tend to hear “cover quality”, “at home”, or something that designates more time being invested in the piece. Personally, I would expect to pay up for a big name artist if they were committed to doing multiple figures/cover quality/full background that you would not likely get from a simple commission. I’d love to have such a piece from Lee Weeks (as example) and would pay for it as his cover quality pieces are extremely well done.

Paintings are more in line with the higher end category and probably an even higher category yet. They require a lot of time and could never be done at a show. When I look at your pieces it is obvious that you paid more than $1K for them. I would not even think of them as being in the “$1K club” as discussed here (if they were under $1K I would be lining all of the artists up to do them as well).

The price point discussion doesn’t really come up much when you are primarily a high end commissions and/or paintings collector. You play in this sandbox, you expect to spend at these levels and buy less often than a more traditional comic art collector. I love painted art but it doesn’t call out to me like pencil/ink pieces which is where my passion resides. This entire hobby (comics, art, statues, figures, etc.) all stems from reading comics as a kid and that, for me, was mostly about the art. I love the line work so the lion’s share of my budget will always go to published pages and pencil/ink commissions.

That said, I did buy a Chris Stevens painting a couple years ago and would love to add another painted piece at some point. Joe Jusko would be amazing. TNovak’s recent Ken Kelly thread had me thinking. It will happen eventually

Speaking for myself, for whatever reason, there isn't much published artwork "that's available" that I feel this great need to own. And, the artwork that I would want has surpassed my spending comfort zone, and some of it by a huge margin. Thankfully, I find myself content by what I can get my hands on. Unfortunately, those options are becoming smaller every year. I keep thinking some kind of crash is on the way but it never seems to come.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #20
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:

fair points, but I'd say the biggest issue with high priced commissions is that at the end of the day they, like all other commissions are a risk where the product isn't guaranteed like that of an original page is. so while some are ok to gamble $250 to $400, gambling $600 to $1k is a whole different thing.

granted, a brooks gamble isn't a tremendous gamble given the consistency with his products, but its still a gamble compared to getting one of his published pieces.

all that said, I'm still mainly a commission guy, have a beautiful brooks piece already, and will continue to look for commissions. just not at the 1k level.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote