Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #621
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Just picked up "Of Dice and Men," a book about the history of D&D and gaming. Sort of uber-personal to the author (I know more about his home-campaign than I care to), but a fun read.
Do they shoot one of the really dumb players in the back of the head by a river at the end?
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:12 AM   #622
Babytoxie
Ghost

Second attempt to read this one: Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban.

Set in a post-apocalyptic England that has regressed to Iron Age technology. It's written in a dense, heavily altered version of English. Not that long of a book, but it's a difficult read. I recommend the expanded edition, which provides some help with terms, geography, and such.

Update: I failed again. It's just too complicated
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #623
protector2814
Phoenix

Not a tough read, by any means, & I finished the book cover-to-cover in one night - The Centennial Celebration, Tarzan, The Stories, The Movies, The Art by Scott T. Griffin. An almost coffee-table book, Griffin runs synopsis of all 26 of the Tarzan novels w/ notes on their original pulp-publications and follow-up novelizations. Tons of insights into the mind of E.R.B., a man, who was able to knock out Tarzan novels incredibly quickly and was primarily motivated by the $ made when the character took off. Insider stories on what E.R.B. thought about the movies made, radio shows, etc... + Tarzan's entire comic book history is covered as is merchandising. Hundreds of beautiful illustrations & photos. All the major Tarzan' artists covered. Forgot how amazing the Boris' Tarzan work was. This was just a fun & informative read.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #624
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Now reading Age of Apocalypse Omnibus. Man this is one huge book.

Note: It's been flagged!
Old 01-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #625
Quarthon
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Beside following DC Forever Evil, I'm reading The Death of Captain America Complete Collection. I'm wondering if the relationship between winter solder and black widow would show up in the new Captain America movie.
Quarthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:25 AM   #626
dccowen
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Do they shoot one of the really dumb players in the back of the head by a river at the end?
Is that before or after you find out the female elf is really a guy?
dccowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:25 AM   #627
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Besides comics.
Currently reading Odysseus: The Oath by Valerio Massimo Manfredi.
Manfredi finally reached Homer.. yayyyy
If you ahven't read his Alexander Trilogy, please do !

Just finished "The Fault in our Stars" by John Green. This is an Amazing and heart rending book. I highly recommend this. I picked this based on Brad Meltzer's reco on FB. he called it his book of the year, and indeed, it's not the kind of stuff i usually read, but it's fabulous.
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #628
dccowen
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

With all the craziness in the Ukraine, I decided to dive into some Cold War era novels.

Just finished Clive Cusslers Raise the Titanic.

Now I'm reading the Hunt for Red October.
dccowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:38 AM   #629
TheYoungWolf
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

A few books in-progress at the moment.

•The Hobbit (re-reading)
•The Alchemist - Paul Coelho
Fantastic thus far; highly recommended.
•The Origin of Species - Charles Darwin

When all is said and done, I'll be re-reading A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin in conjunction with the new season. It's been an unbearable wait!

As far as comics go, I recently picked up The Thanos Imperative to better acquaint myself with the Guardians of the Galaxy. Haven't gotten the chance to dive in yet, but after a quick skim through, I'm looking forward to it.
TheYoungWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #630
Babytoxie
Ghost

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary, by Simon Winchester

Specifically, this book focuses on the professional relationship between two men: Dr. James Murray, the editor of the first OED, and the dictionary's most prolific contributor, Dr. WC Minor. They'd corresponded for years, and once the project was nearing completion, Murray set out to meet Minor, who turned out to be an inmate in an asylum (trust me - I haven't spoiled the book, as it says as much on the cover).

Generally, it's a fascinating history of lexicography, as well as the role of dictionaries in presenting the language of a culture. My wife is an English teacher, and we have discussed language at length; specifically, the legitimacy of slang, as well as words that become so altered or misused over time as to take on whole new meanings. This book makes the point that dictionaries are not meant to instruct on what is right or wrong, new or outdated, about a language, but to provide a snapshot of the language at that time. It's very well done.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote