Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-26-2020, 09:21 AM   #61
protector2814
Phoenix

Wombat is correct. Warrant is launching a new B&W, Horror magazine, supposedly next month, with Vampiress Carmilla. For my Hammer friends, you might recognize her name from their Karnstein Trilogy -

Tomorrow? Let's leave he States for a little while.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #62
protector2814
Phoenix

Italy's Zora la Vampira. Tough to find a non-nude cover I could put, up but I managed -

Lasting only 2 issues, Devilina, publ. by Atlas in 1975, was a b&w mag. with even more of a slant towards exploitation -

Old 10-27-2020, 09:13 AM   #63
protector2814
Phoenix

I've put a cover or two of Major Publications' 1969/70 Web Of Horror in earlier Halloween threads, but since this is a B&W Horror magazine themed thread, I thought I'd go ahead and repost them. It went only three issues & had a gross, silly, spidery host but the covers are very nice -

Old 10-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #64
Wombat
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Love that Wrightson cover.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:07 PM   #65
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
Love that Wrightson cover.
omg, it's the FREAKIN' BEST! Abominable Snowmen, deep-water monsters happening upon scuba-divers, Vampires carrying fainted women, Ghosts in trees, Cavern creatures ... if there's anything I've learned in researching this year's thread is that there are definitely recurring, almost archetypal images & themes that you can find over & over again. This Wrightson' cover is a prime example of the Snowman.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #66
protector2814
Phoenix

& we're left with Warren. Started by James Warren in 1957, Warren created Famour Monsters Magazine which, w/ the help of Forest Ackerman, became a huge hit. He continued to create monster & sci-fi themed movie magazines before creating full-size, b&w comic horror magazines in order to shake the restrictions of the Comic-Code-Authority with this new format. Creepy, Eerie & Vampirella all were born. All three were anthology horror mags., a format that ould be picked up sooner or later by all the books explored in this thread. The Warren books are considered the best.

Let's start with Creepy -

Old 10-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #67
Wombat

I am getting close to full runs of Creepy and Eerie. Vampirella I have a lot of work to do. And of course you have to mention one of the all time greats with the Warren magazines - Frank Frazetta. Iconic covers for all three series.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #68
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
I am getting close to full runs of Creepy and Eerie. Vampirella I have a lot of work to do. And of course you have to mention one of the all time greats with the Warren magazines - Frank Frazetta. Iconic covers for all three series.
Very cool. I'm sure you'll make it. I'm tying to stay away from the iconic Warren covers this year & post some more obscure covers for freshness' sake.

I have very few original Warrens, alas. I did buy the 1st ten hardback, Dark Horse Creepy collections when they 1st hit (why I stopped at 10, I'll never know). I also have the Creepy Presents Corben hdbk & the Eerie Presents Hunter hdbk. Dynamite Comics has reproduced Vampirella issues 1 & 30 which I picked up too. Collecting full runs of original Warren mags, as I'm sure you know, can be quite expensive.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #69
Wombat

Its a lot more expensive today than it was just a few years ago. For many many years comic magazines just didn't get a lot of respect and you could pick them out of the dollar bins if you could even find them. Excluding some of the keys of course. Prices seem to be going up every day now. If I didn't have the collection I have already there is probably no way I could afford it today.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #70
protector2814
Phoenix

Eerie ran for 139 issues. I actually think that between Creepy & Eerie, Eerie had the better covers on the whole.