Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-24-2020, 06:34 AM   #111
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Unfortunately a lot of us including me have gotten accustomed or indoctrinated to these ridiculous prices.

Though it’s happen over time, but now this 1/3 scale is double the price of what it was just a handful of years ago, but of course this has better quality than those. But I still think it’s overpriced given that the Queen Studios 1/2 scale Aquaman is only about $400 more.
That not only has a full head of long hair like Gadot, he's also got a full beard- all rooted hair, all labor intensive.

The sell out for this so quick is impressive. I think part of that is due to the dragged out anticipation for the film itself. No denying it looks like a striking representation regardless of the film.

One other thing that gave me pause was something someone else commented on earlier- the silicone on this looks oily. Odd that they wouldn't have tried to minimize that in photos, and it makes me wonder if that even can be addressed or if it's just byproduct of the media being used?

While I may regret passing on this, the response should tell them that the market for more WW is there.
Hopefully there will be a next one, and that next one will be the more classic costume.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:58 AM   #112
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
That not only has a full head of long hair like Gadot, he's also got a full beard- all rooted hair, all labor intensive.

The sell out for this so quick is impressive. I think part of that is due to the dragged out anticipation for the film itself. No denying it looks like a striking representation regardless of the film.

One other thing that gave me pause was something someone else commented on earlier- the silicone on this looks oily. Odd that they wouldn't have tried to minimize that in photos, and it makes me wonder if that even can be addressed or if it's just byproduct of the media being used?

While I may regret passing on this, the response should tell them that the market for more WW is there.
Hopefully there will be a next one, and that next one will be the more classic costume.
I’m probably going to have to be on the sidelines when those eventually make an appearance, as I’ve gone way past my capacity for GG Wonder Woman pieces in my collection.

As I either have in my possession or have preordered the 1/3 Prime 1 JL Ultimate set, Training Uniform, 1/2 BVS WW, 3x 1/6 Hot Toys variations, QS life size bust, and now this piece from JND.

... I’ll probably have to box up one of my pre-existing ones to make room. I’m thinking probably the Training Uniform piece
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:43 AM   #113
French Cancan
Deadman

Since the first appearance of one of these silicon bust, of course, like many others, I have been wowed by these things.
I have lost a lot of useful neurons in the fight yes or no I want silicon in my collection.
We could consider that silicon is a new level in the statue production. I don’t think. It’s different.
The concept « it will disintegrate over time » can’t be considered as an higher step on the path of the perfection.
They say, hey you’ll enjoy your statue for 20 years, even 30 if you’re kind enough with it.
The truth is nobody knows. That's the thing with unstable molecules. They don't care and don't warn you. And I doubt you‘ll find a nice card in the box where golden printed characters will guarantee you that hypothetical lifespan.
And what about an unexpected chemical reaction between paint and silicone?
That reminds me some of the first plastic toys which were supposed to replace the tin toys. The unstable molecules of the plastics deformed these toys . Until new plastics and their more stable molecules are used.
Pretty sure that will happen here. A new material will appear soon, combining the flexibility of silicone and the durability of resin.

Unfortunately, I’m afraid that the fight will continue in my mind- with the early death of a bunch of kind neurons, if, tomorrow, Queen Studios - or another studio- offers a ½ silicon WW in her classic outfit.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:07 AM   #114
chronos1919
Nightwing

Supposedly JND studios is using a “medical grade” silicon and “new painting technique” that will last a lifetime if kept in proper conditions. They flex and stretch the painted headsculpts in their videos and they appear quite durable.

Only time will tell though. Fingers crossed.

I can tell you this is the first collectible that I will be handling with gloves during unboxing and assembly.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #115
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

My silicone coated plastics only last about 5-10 years before getting sticky.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #116
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

I wonder if storing the statue in a hermetically sealed display case would extend the life of the piece?
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #117
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Unfortunately a lot of us including me have gotten accustomed or indoctrinated to these ridiculous prices.

Though it’s happen over time, but now this 1/3 scale is double the price of what it was just a handful of years ago, but of course this has better quality than those. But I still think it’s overpriced given that the Queen Studios 1/2 scale Aquaman is only about $400 more.
I remember paying $1800 for Cinemaquette's Li'l Red statue a few years back, it was very similar to what JND studios is doing with the hair and realistic skin... Li'l Red was very life like... I remember talking to one of the owners, and he said they had several professional painters they worked with who would paint each one so it would come out flawless... I wonder if JND is doing the same thing given the price.

They also gave you these cleaning wipes to take care of her skin, if you touched the skin it would transfer oil from your hands to the statue so you would have to use the wipes to remove it...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #118
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
My silicone coated plastics only last about 5-10 years before getting sticky.
Sex dolls don't count
Old 10-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #119
Exorcist
Hydra

Question

To much to handle Gratz to everybody who got this collectible.
Exorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:40 AM   #120
built2shred
Phoenix

I found it interesting that they're doing the main pieces including the portrait at a factory in Korea instead of China...