Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 06-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #351
MegatronG1
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
We all understand preferences. It's the complaints from some people that Prime 1 produces 1/3 scale statues that I don't understand.

There's pretty much a scale and a price point for everyone from multiple manufactures, and everyone here knows the limitations placed on a company on what they can and can not produce (or so I thought), and Prime 1 is no different. And if large footprint 1/3 scale statues are not conducive to your collection, why complain about it?

Because of limitations of budget and display space I can't buy all these statues either, but there's no need to complain about it. It is what it is.
Sculptor talent is wasted on 1/3 pieces that could have seen better use in 1/4,1/5. 1/3 scale is only a thing recently with rising factory costs, the margins are better for the producer and the wow factor is better for the price, for now.

The ugly side of 1/3 collecting are the shipping costs and multiple boxes.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:02 PM   #352
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
Sculptor talent is wasted on 1/3 pieces that could have seen better use in 1/4,1/5. 1/3 scale is only a thing recently with rising factory costs, the margins are better for the producer and the wow factor is better for the price, for now.

I love how your reply to his post COMPLETELY justifies/reinforces everything he said lol. Well done.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:54 AM   #353
ENDO
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:

Your terrible opinion is just that. Your terrible opinion.
ENDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:09 AM   #354
The World
Justice League

While I can't agree with the sculptor talent comment, Megatron has a point on packaging and shipping costs.

I've seen a lot of people making a fuss about shipping costs and these pieces are only getting bigger and bigger.

Prime 1 may think they can produce for a market without limitations, but they may not be doing that for long. I do not see it being sustainable.
The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #355
ambasah
Red Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
I love how your reply to his post COMPLETELY justifies/reinforces everything he said lol. Well done.
the irony is delicious : )
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #356
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:

The benefit of larger scale pieces is the level of detail available. True talent is wasted on any smaller scale but what is practical usually wins out. Your logic is flawed.
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:50 AM   #357
The World
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomitus View Post
The benefit of larger scale pieces is the level of detail available. True talent is wasted on any smaller scale but what is practical usually wins out. Your logic is flawed.
That's an equally flawed argument to say that talent is wasted on smaller scale.
The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #358
MegatronG1
The X-Men

Detail loss is unavoidable at smaller scales, yes, but a good sculptor also masters anatomy, material drapery, composition, etc., where scale won't detract from his work until going below 1/5. There is no reason why they can't produce a companion 1/5,1/4 version of flagship 1/3 releases. It's leaving money on the table.

1/3 is fine when the figure stands upright, as it seems many people are not height limited. 1/3 eats volume quickly when the figure is crouched over a base with a large surface area - v1 Hush Batman.

The shipping problem is the elephant in the room. Two boxes exceeding dimensional weight changes the game. Although P1 is addressing this with Poison Ivy coming in a single box with two layers, it's not possible to do this with with every character. Many people are space limited, while not being necessarily cash limited.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:07 PM   #359
letsroy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Detail loss is unavoidable at smaller scales, yes, but a good sculptor also masters anatomy, material drapery, composition, etc., where scale won't detract from his work until going below 1/5. There is no reason why they can't produce a companion 1/5,1/4 version of flagship 1/3 releases. It's leaving money on the table.

1/3 is fine when the figure stands upright, as it seems many people are not height limited. 1/3 eats volume quickly when the figure is crouched over a base with a large surface area - v1 Hush Batman.

The shipping problem is the elephant in the room. Two boxes exceeding dimensional weight changes the game. Although P1 is addressing this with Poison Ivy coming in a single box with two layers, it's not possible to do this with with every character. Many people are space limited, while not being necessarily cash limited.
I have space for a few more 1/3 statues but I don't have space for 4-6 huge boxes. Sad but true. However I don't blame P1 for that because it was me who bought 1/3 scale instead of 1/4 or 1/5.

P1 will fill the market with 1/3 statues while they sell well and...I don't see the problem there.

Would I buy a 1/4 Hush bats? Yes, probably but others don't. There are people who love 1/3 scale and they don't have problems with room or they deal with it.

Nobody can buy statues forever so we have to decide how we want to spend our money and our space. We will buy as much 1/3 as we want and can. After that, we will stop, change scale, whatever.

If P1 sees in the future that the 1/3 market is getting cold they will manage to make 1/4 or 1/20 but right now, with the 1/3 pieces getting sold...I don't understand the drama.

I would like to have a mansion, yes and I don't, no but this is my "problem". It is not a company or market problem.

1/3 are awesome but really expensive, huge, and they usually take 1 or 2 huge boxes to store. You can't fight against that.
Is it 1/4 scale better? Well, then you should buy 1/4. Some people will argue that there is a lack of details, some that they like big pieces, and others will tell that there is no 1/4 pieces as good as P1 1/3 quality.
I don't care who is right because we are talking about tastes and opinions. It is what it is.

New hush batcave....1/3....ok. Is there a 1/4 scale version?....no. So...should I buy it anyway?...it is up to you.
letsroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:10 PM   #360
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The World View Post
That's an equally flawed argument to say that talent is wasted on smaller scale.
I am looking forward to reading about your explanation on why an artist using less resources such as statue real estate is a better than when they have more.

Or since you indicate "equally flawed," meaning both statements of sculptor talent is wasted at bigger and smaller sizes, you have the perfect size in mind?

Why am I even asking....
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote