Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 12-03-2017, 08:49 PM   #61
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvo View Post
I remember during the days of Cinemaquette when they literally brought a hair stylist with them to trade shows like SDCC just to get the hair on their statues to look decent. Of course, once those same statues started arriving at people's homes the hair was a total disaster. The only realistic thing about that hair was the nightmares it evoked. I'm still traumatized over those images, in particular Jack Sparrow and Aragon. No doubt improvements have been made since then, but personally speaking it's just not for me.
Totally understandable.

Warning: overly-long, OrangeCrush-worthy not-at-all-directed-toward-you post (I agree with your above post wholeheartedly) incoming:

My collecting habits range well outside of statues, so I'm used to initial photos and horror stories about breakages and other returnable offenses spiraling into undeserved negative reactions for experimental elements or entire pieces.

I don't want to cast a general assumption over entire sectors of the communities, but I think a lot of the negativity from those first getting items in-hand and those immediately reacting to their photos stem from buyer's remorse in the former case when that final invoice hits (the "this better be worth it" mentality) and subconsciously, but quite vocally rationalizing the choice not to purchase in the latter case, a.k.a. wanting something to fail.

This is especially prevalent with Hot Toys, as they've not only been experimenting with material elements that don't gel with longtime collectors' sensibilities, but they also revisit characters so often that owners of previous versions would rather denounce newer doll hair as unsightly and unmanageable or proclaim seamless joints will crack in no time flat than to simply enjoy those previous versions. This is going to creep into Prime 1 collecting especially with all these new Batman pieces and everyone rushing to claim theirs as SOTY before the next drops.

While I personally love posing wired capes and other interactive elements, I hate when statues require specialized lighting or to look good on display, which is the case with smaller translucent resin pieces I've bought (the bigger P1 pieces don't have this issue due to having more paint and sculpting detail), so the amount of work collectors want to put into particular elements is a matter of preference, exactly as you said. I'm just noticing the amount of work any collector wants to put into anything whatsoever has gone down overall for something we call a hobby. I just worry it'll detract from companies taking risks when that's almost a necessity in this oversaturated market.

Poorly weighted/packaged rooted hair looks absolutely atrocious, I agree, but I hope someone gets it right, as sculpted hair I'm finding has its limits on a mass production level. Brilliantly intricate hair sculpts by the likes of Will Harbottle over at Sideshow I've personally seen done a real disservice by factory breakages and clumpy paint. If not for the production values at Prime 1 and a select few others, I'd have lost faith in that approach after getting some bad Sideshow pieces myself (for the record, I still love SS. Every company has its pluses and minuses.)
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #62
Malvo
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
Totally understandable.

Warning: overly-long, OrangeCrush-worthy not-at-all-directed-toward-you post (I agree with your above post wholeheartedly) incoming:

My collecting habits range well outside of statues, so I'm used to initial photos and horror stories about breakages and other returnable offenses spiraling into undeserved negative reactions for experimental elements or entire pieces.

I don't want to cast a general assumption over entire sectors of the communities, but I think a lot of the negativity from those first getting items in-hand and those immediately reacting to their photos stem from buyer's remorse in the former case when that final invoice hits (the "this better be worth it" mentality) and subconsciously, but quite vocally rationalizing the choice not to purchase in the latter case, a.k.a. wanting something to fail.

This is especially prevalent with Hot Toys, as they've not only been experimenting with material elements that don't gel with longtime collectors' sensibilities, but they also revisit characters so often that owners of previous versions would rather denounce newer doll hair as unsightly and unmanageable or proclaim seamless joints will crack in no time flat than to simply enjoy those previous versions. This is going to creep into Prime 1 collecting especially with all these new Batman pieces and everyone rushing to claim theirs as SOTY before the next drops.

While I personally love posing wired capes and other interactive elements, I hate when statues require specialized lighting or to look good on display, which is the case with smaller translucent resin pieces I've bought (the bigger P1 pieces don't have this issue due to having more paint and sculpting detail), so the amount of work collectors want to put into particular elements is a matter of preference, exactly as you said. I'm just noticing the amount of work any collector wants to put into anything whatsoever has gone down overall for something we call a hobby. I just worry it'll detract from companies taking risks when that's almost a necessity in this oversaturated market.

Poorly weighted/packaged rooted hair looks absolutely atrocious, I agree, but I hope someone gets it right, as sculpted hair I'm finding has its limits on a mass production level. Brilliantly intricate hair sculpts by the likes of Will Harbottle over at Sideshow I've personally seen done a real disservice by factory breakages and clumpy paint. If not for the production values at Prime 1 and a select few others, I'd have lost faith in that approach after getting some bad Sideshow pieces myself (for the record, I still love SS. Every company has its pluses and minuses.)
You lost me at "OrangeCush"......LOL
Malvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:53 PM   #63
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvo View Post
You lost me at "OrangeCush"......LOL
LOL. Exactly. "Worthy" was 100% the wrong word to ascribe as a comparison. It was meant to be self-deprecating.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:28 AM   #64
dino76m
Kindly Asked To Leave

think this is going up for PO on Prime 1 website,, they are selling a bust seperately for 350$.. so if u want both , it cost effectively 1700
dino76m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:02 AM   #65
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino76m View Post
think this is going up for PO on Prime 1 website,, they are selling a bust seperately for 350$.. so if u want both , it cost effectively 1700
Are you sure? Seems like the extra bust is included in the Ultimate Version.

"People said the Age of Heroes would never come again.”

Prime 1 Studio is proud to present MMJL-05UT: Wonder Woman Ultimate Version from Justice League film. Before she was Wonder Woman, she was the princess of the Amazons, trained to be an unconquerable warrior. In modern times, she works as an antiquities dealer at the Louvre Museum as Diana Prince. Shortly after the Justice League team assembled, Wonder Woman contributes to the successful offensive against Steppenwolf, forcing the alien invasion into retreat. Following this, Wonder Woman finally reveals herself to the world, becoming an official superheroine. Justice League is superhero film based on the DC Comics characters of the same name and it is the Fifth installment in the DC Extended Universe.

Statue features:
- Size approximately 33.7 inches [(H)85.5cm (W)40cm (D)32cm]
- One (1) removable cape
- One (1) PBDC-03: Wonder Woman Bust*
- LED Light up function on her Bracelets of Submission
*Wonder Woman Bust Torso can be interchangeable with Statue

Retail Price: $1249 US

Edition Size: 350

Prototype samples shown.
Product details could be subjected to change without further notice.

nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:57 AM   #66
dino76m
Kindly Asked To Leave

my bad, i saw 2 posts by Kelvin and thought both were sold seperately
dino76m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:10 AM   #67
nearmint
Phoenix

Turns out if you buy this Ultimate Version, you save $49 than if you bought the statue and the bust separately. I threw together a slideshow of the 36 pics Kelvin posted...

Prime 1 Studio Justice League Wonder Woman
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #68
SONICobra
Bane

price doesnt seem too outrageous imo, i think this is the definitive statue for those looking for a gadot WW
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #69
Demona
Martian Manhunter

The price seems pretty damn reasonable to me for a 1:3 piece. You get an entire new half of a statue and a display base. Not too shabby, Prime 1.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #70
Ma Chao
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I'm confused, is this come with 2 different head sculpts?
Ma Chao is offline   Reply With Quote