Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Friends of Northstar

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #1041
Legionnaire
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
HEY DOUG!!! WE'RE GETTING OUR WISH!!! THERE WILL BE A LEGION EPISODE OF SMALLVILLE!
OMG! Jesse, where did you see/hear this? I love Smallville and I'm a HUGE Legion fan. I never thought I'd see them in a live action appearance. Where did you find out about this?!!

I'm soooo excited!!!!!!!

You just made my day!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #1042
JonoJ108
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Jono has sceered me off. I guess I won't be looking at them. I don't even own any surgical gloves, just mittens, and I'll be needing them when it gets cold.

In my case it is the REALLY extensive groundwork, I don't mind the breaks or the 3 layered story at all. I guess what I find so tedious is the over descriptive nature of page after page of every place she goes and the slow nature of revealing what's in these letters and what happened. To me the idea that you would read one and then be to tired or put them away for weeks and do this monotonous traveling is just crazy. But I am only at the point where she is going on her own and that guy found her on the train, so there is plenty left I know. It's just amazing that it took 200 pages to get this small amount of progress in the story IMO.
yeah, the author was a grad student at Yale as she wrote this. like "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell," i think much of the book is an exercise for the writer as much as for the reader. Our luck (such as it is) is in whether we find those exercises enjoyable & pleasurable.

I did; hope you start to, too, soon. all that build-up DOES lead somewhere, and increases the sensation of authenticity, history, & texture--all of which the book has been singled out for. You might find that she's showing off her research a bit.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #1043
JonoJ108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
OMG! Jesse, where did you see/hear this? I love Smallville and I'm a HUGE Legion fan. I never thought I'd see them in a live action appearance. Where did you find out about this?!!

I'm soooo excited!!!!!!!

You just made my day!
Really, Legionnaire: You're a Legion fan??? WHAT?!?

[i'm sorry, we haven't met: i'm Jono; i welcome & display friendly affection for people by teasing them.]
Old 07-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #1044
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoJ108 View Post
You might find that she's showing off her research a bit.
Now that you say that it makes a lot of sense. She probably did research and visit every site right down to the door hinges and stone facades. It didn't interest me or in my mind add to the story, but now that you mention it, that is exactly what it seems like. Maybe I will have more appreciation for it going forward knowing that she is trying to provide authentic descriptions and feel rather than just boring me to death with endless descriptions of buildings and countrysides (I was thinking it was worse than watching someone elses vacation video).

Thanks Jono, that actually helps in my case
Old 07-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #1045
JonoJ108

Quote:
Now that you say that it makes a lot of sense. She probably did research and visit every site right down to the door hinges and stone facades. It didn't interest me or in my mind add to the story, but now that you mention it, that is exactly what it seems like. Maybe I will have more appreciation for it going forward knowing that she is trying to provide authentic descriptions and feel rather than just boring me to death with endless descriptions of buildings and countrysides (I was thinking it was worse than watching someone elses vacation video).

Thanks Jono, that actually helps in my case
it sounds as though you don't need all of that sensory info to place you into the story--that's lucky.

Have you read "The Name of the Rose" by Eco?
Old 07-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #1046
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoJ108 View Post
it sounds as though you don't need all of that sensory info to place you into the story--that's lucky.

Have you read "The Name of the Rose" by Eco?
I saw the movie and liked it. It had Sean Connery and Christian friggin Slater in it, but was still really good I thought. Connery was good in it as would be expected, but Slater wasn't even that bad

RE Sensory info, I do like some. I don't like it to be just boom in the story with no background, but it seems a little thick in this story, but I still like it, maybe I gave the impression that I didn't. It was just a little slow and overdescriptive to this point, IMO>
Old 07-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #1047
JonoJ108

Quote:
I saw the movie and liked it. It had Sean Connery and Christian friggin Slater in it, but was still really good I thought. Connery was good in it as would be expected, but Slater wasn't even that bad

RE Sensory info, I do like some. I don't like it to be just boom in the story with no background, but it seems a little thick in this story, but I still like it, maybe I gave the impression that I didn't. It was just a little slow and overdescriptive to this point, IMO>
it gets better, the story takes off on its own momentum. i liken it to the trains they keep taking in the story: maybe slow out of the station, but impossible to stop once it gets going.

enjoy!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #1048
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post

I'm soooo excited!!!!!!!

You just made my day!
It gets better GEOFF JOHNS IS WRITING IT!!!

Here it is at the SDCC panel on Smallville.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AUeT...&feature=email

Here are the highlites:

Highlights:
- Jeph Loeb asks the female members of the audience who would like to work with Justin (screams abound), while Justin mentions that his wife is sitting in the audience with a look on her face that says basically says he's not all that. Pretty funny!
-A fan asks if we will see more of Chloe's powers this season
- The producers respond to a question abut whether Michael Rosenbaum will be on the show at all this upcoming season
- Justin is impressed with a fan in the audience wearing a full on leather Green Arrow costume AND crossbow!-
- Jeph makes a major announcement about a "Legion" episode to be written by noted comic book author Geoff Johns about the Legion of Superheroes meeting Clark Kent (expect this to be as good if not better than "Justice"!! Whoo Hoo!)
Old 07-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #1049
superdoug
Minister of ROT

WOOO!! Legion Episode! I'm all over that like ugly on a gorilla!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #1050
Jesse321
Galactus

Check out the link ... JUSTIN IS A REGULAR FOR THE FINAL SEASON TOO!

Geoff makes the announcement about the Legion episode about 8 minutes in.
Closed Thread